Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Some one else using my email

ANSWERED
New Poster

Some one else using my email

I keep getting messages for someone named Devon Johnson.  I don't know who he is, why he keeps getting email sent to my address and how I can get rid of him.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I have had this email for about 7 years and it was my understanding that you couldn't get an email address that belonged to someone else.

How do I stop him from using my email address?

Accepted Solution

Re: Some one else using my email

In that case, you need to wait it out. If it is really spam, ignore it. If it is from a company that he might have a real contact with, reply to them. If you can figure out what his real email address is, contact him. 

If he used it for a Facebook account, he should have needed to reply to a confirmation email. But if he doesn't have access to your account, he couldn't do that.

I once received an email receipt for airplane tickets to Hawaii. They were supposed to go to someone with my name who has a different ISP. I tracked her down.

View answer in context
New Poster

YES! I have the same problem! There is another Fred and Patty that is using my email address (That, I too, have had for over 5 years!) and now they have it attached to their FB account so I keep getting their stupid notifications!

What can I do??? (to Comcast, not the original poster) Smiley Happy

Networking Expert

HAPPYBOY13 wrote:

I keep getting messages for someone named Devon Johnson.  I don't know who he is, why he keeps getting email sent to my address and how I can get rid of him.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I have had this email for about 7 years and it was my understanding that you couldn't get an email address that belonged to someone else.

How do I stop him from using my email address?

He probably gave someone an incorrect email address. Not much you can do unfortunately, except respond to one of the emails that appears to be from a real person, and tell them thay you are not Devon Johnson, and they should verfy with him that he gave them the correct address.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Networking Expert

PattynFred wrote:

YES! I have the same problem! There is another Fred and Patty that is using my email address (That, I too, have had for over 5 years!) and now they have it attached to their FB account so I keep getting their stupid notifications!

What can I do??? (to Comcast, not the original poster) Smiley Happy

Perhaps you could post on their FaceBook timeline, explain what is happening, and ask them to verify that they are using the correct email address with their FB account.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Good idea, unfortunetly the emails are spam or trash.  He gets notices from job search engines and even though I go in and unsubscribe, they notices keep coming. 

I refuse to let him win by changing my email addy, this happened once before and I am not going to let it happen again. 

Customer Expert

In that case, you need to wait it out. If it is really spam, ignore it. If it is from a company that he might have a real contact with, reply to them. If you can figure out what his real email address is, contact him. 

If he used it for a Facebook account, he should have needed to reply to a confirmation email. But if he doesn't have access to your account, he couldn't do that.

I once received an email receipt for airplane tickets to Hawaii. They were supposed to go to someone with my name who has a different ISP. I tracked her down.

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Well, I see Comcast is not following this and will not be doing anything about this annoying issue.

As far as posting on her Facebook page, I cannot do that since I am not friends with her.

Waiting it out? Well, this has been going on for 2 years. I think I have waited it out enough.

I have replied to emails from her friends and they have not done anything either.

So, they will be missing out on a lot of opportunities.

Customer Expert

Do not give up your account.

You could add the email account to YOUR Facebook account as a secondary account. I think notifications are sent to only the primary email. I don't get copies of notifications on my secondary. But I have a lot of Facebook email notifications turned off.

See directions here: https://www.facebook.com/help/162801153783275

Essentially, I'm suggesting grabbing the email from these other people as far as Facebook is concerned. If they don't have your email password, they can't read your email.

And, no, this is primarily a customer-to-customer help forum. Comcast generally doesn't act on anything posted here. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

thanks for the suggestions, but we didn't use this on facebook.  so I can only guess that he came upon it somewhere and decided to use it as a front, sort of yes I'm putting out applications but havent' heard back sort of thing.

Not much coming in now so will wait and see what happens.

New Poster

I'm having a similar problem.... I'm receiving e-mails from someone discussing themselves as people from my contacts in my address book stating that they want me to click on a site to 

view information. Of course I don't.... then I see from address, it's not really the person I know.

Wasn't there a report button if it was suspicious mail that it could send it to Comcast?

If anyone can help - please let me know. Thank you.

New Poster

I thought at one time there was, maybe try right clicking and see what comes up in that box.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation