Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Sending email in Evolution 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 12.04

New Poster

Sending email in Evolution 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 12.04

On a temporary visit to USA from UK, I am using a laptop connected to my hosts Comcast cable internet connection.

My original settings for Evolution will receive email OK, but not send, due to comcast issue with port 25.

I have been to the xfinity page that gives 3rd party email client settings, and set up a new email account using port 587, plus other settings as per chart, but with no result when trying to send myself a test message.

Config  -

smtp.comcast.net   Port 587

Authentication yes

Security SSL encryption

Authentication type Plain  (I've also tried CRAM-MD5, following another thread I found, but no go)

Grateful for any assistance,

John

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Sending email in Evolution 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 12.04

Have you tried the other port 465

You also need to have it log in to send email if you haven't done so in the settings.

Bronze Problem Solver

You are using a comcast email account right?  just noticed you said you are in US temporarily from the UK.

You would have to have a Comcast email account to send using the comcast server.  If you are using another email account from a different provider you will have to use their server.

New Poster

Hi kheffington, and thanks for your replies.

When I first arrived a couple of weeks ago, I found that my original settings, provided by my isp(Easyspace), worked for receiving, but not for sending email, using Evolution as the client.

Fortunately I have  webmail account with Easyspace that I can use, and which functions, though it's a bit clunky, so I can still communicate.

When I started searching for a solution, and seeing that the problem might stem from the port 25, I decided I needed to set up a new account. I mailed my Easyspace isp for advice, and they suggested the 587 port setting.

However, that hasn't worked, so while a wait for an update from them, I thought I'd try this forum after my lack of success using the xfinity page settings.

John

New Poster

PS We do have a comcast account, and I've used the username/password from that account.

John

Bronze Problem Solver

If you are using a Xfinity email account with a user id and password from that then you should be able to send mail over it.  You are using a Comcast email account to receive your mail?  An account like xxx.comcast.net?

In Evolution you would need to set up the sending section like so.

Server Type: SMTP
Server: smtp.comcast.net
Server requires authentication
Use Secure Connection: SSL Encryption
Authentication: Plain
User name: -the portion of the Comcast account before the @ should work.  If not try full email.
Remember password checked.  
Try both available ports.  587 or 465

If you can’t get this to work, you can always get a free google mail account or one you already have and use the google smtp server to send mail. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation