Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

SPAM

Regular Visitor

SPAM

During the past week, I have received a number of spam emails, which is a new occurance. Has Infinity made changes in their filtering system? I never received spam until last week.

Email Expert

Re: SPAM

About all you can do is keep marking them as Spam to help train the filters.  No spam filtering system is perfect.  Spam is a never ending game.  You might find this of interest-----------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

or

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the information!

Frequent Visitor

Not to sound paranoid, but is it possible Xfinity or other ISP's ID certain users who frequently mark spam and use them as sort of a human filter for the larger customer base?  I have been wondering this for a while now because I am also receiving a huge influx of spam seemingly out of nowhere and the only behavior that's changed on my end was a decision to be more aggressive about marking spam as such.

Tags (3)
Email Expert

No, marking something as spam doesn't result in more of it.  When enough people begin posting something as junk, that's how the filters learn what most people think is junk, in addition to known sources of it. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Recent spam I'm seeing are from fake domains. I thought Comcast spam filters verify reverse DNS and fails it if not found. Reverse DNS doesn't appear to be working correctly. Here are some of the domains in spam headers. They are not registered domains.

Received: from

mc1KP2oARd.com
sapcOVeqZOxm.com
Ht2uAwoS68mT.com
pRgo9S8f.com
f90X7v77I.com

and so on...

I mark them as spam, but they keep flowing in with fake domains.

Contributor

thiggy_d wrote:

Recent spam I'm seeing are from fake domains. I thought Comcast spam filters verify reverse DNS and fails it if not found. Reverse DNS doesn't appear to be working correctly. Here are some of the domains in spam headers. They are not registered domains.

Received: from

mc1KP2oARd.com
sapcOVeqZOxm.com
Ht2uAwoS68mT.com
pRgo9S8f.com
f90X7v77I.com

and so on...

I mark them as spam, but they keep flowing in with fake domains.

I'm seeing the same thing. I thought I had most of the spam I've been getting lately snuffed out with header-name filters and forwarding to missed-spam. I use an email client. But then the spam started with those same fake or spoofed addresses.

The Comcast spam filtering used to work really well, but something is lacking now.

Gold Problem Solver

thiggy_d wrote: ... I thought Comcast spam filters verify reverse DNS and fails it if not found. ...

I think RDNS checks the sending mail server, but not the host names that appear in the message headers.

New Poster

Something must have changed recently. I have been getting a ton of spam recently. Usually multiple emails from the same senders and they are so obviously spam I do not understand how the filters can miss them.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation