Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

SEARCH PAGE ISSUES, CAN YOU HELP?

Regular Contributor

SEARCH PAGE ISSUES, CAN YOU HELP?

Fellow Forum members,

I finally caved and downloaded Windows 10.  I eliminated all the apps and things I didn't want, and it worked really well until today.  Everytime I do a search, the link opens in a half page (1/2).  I have tried all the usual methods of solving this that are known to the computer world. 

I have dragged, reopened, and everything that the experts in my posse say to try, and nothing works with this W 10. It just started doing it for no reason........

Do any of you have the same issues, or do you have a solution to this issue?  I know it's a basic problem, but for some reason nothing seems to work..  Any help much appreciated.  I use IE 11.

Mick 7

Service Expert

Re: SEARCH PAGE ISSUES, CAN YOU HELP?

mick7 wrote:

Fellow Forum members,

I finally caved and downloaded Windows 10.  I eliminated all the apps and things I didn't want, and it worked really well until today.  Everytime I do a search, the link opens in a half page (1/2).  I have tried all the usual methods of solving this that are known to the computer world. 

I have dragged, reopened, and everything that the experts in my posse say to try, and nothing works with this W 10. It just started doing it for no reason........

Do any of you have the same issues, or do you have a solution to this issue?  I know it's a basic problem, but for some reason nothing seems to work..  Any help much appreciated.  I use IE 11.

Mick 7

You may need to RESET your IE at this time.... Settings>>>>Internet Options>>>>Advanced>>>>Reset

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Various Forum Members and/or Forum Visitors are all describing the VERY SAME THINGS USING DIFFERENT WORDS.

Fortunately, you included your browser being IE 11.   I also prefer IE 11.  I did not take the free upgrade to Windows 10---(I doubt that your problem is WIN 10).  I am still using Win 7 Pro. 

What is in common on these Forums is that we have Comcast (Xfinity) as our ISP  and/or also Cable TV, etc.

You will absolutely continue to have problems with IE and other Window settings, tools--as long as you have to also use The Comcast Customer Home Page and The Comcast Web-based E-mail.

Do NOT use The Comcast Customer Home Page as your Internet Explorer Home.  I suggest that , instead, you place the Comcast Customer Home Page on your IE Favorites Toolbar (this is more convenient than putting it in your IE Favorites List(s).  This way--you can get to your CC Customer Home Page (It will still take a very long time to load--there are countless elements, live links, hidden ads, URLs, even the "Ask" SearchToolbar HOSTED BY Google--this, alone, takes up a lot of bandwidth, a lot of graphics, a lot of memory, and other computer usages/computer resources.  This Search Tool Hog--in both the space on the CC Customer Home Page--is not just a screen area real estate hog, it is also a computer system resources hog--and this is NOT Google Chrome (the browser),  it is NOT even Google search--it is "Ask" HOSTED by Google.  I have read that Comcast has an affinity business deal with Google--that may be great for them--but not for Comcast Customers, in my humble opinion.

So, if you need to go to the CC Customer Home Page--sign-in (I recommend you choose the option to stay "signed in" for YOUR CONVENIENCE--this uses less of YOUR TIME--and  further CC re-directs, running scripts, and poorly written Web based code.  Then quickly get to your e-mail page, take a look and get off, as fast as you can.  I further recommend you get some other e-mail client resident on your computer.  I have Microsoft Office Suite which includes Outlook.  This MS Office Suite is VERY EXPENSIVE.  Don't use MS Office Suites which are Web-based--with annual fees.  As expensive as what I am suggesting is--WHAT IS YOUR TIME, HEALTH, SANITY worth?

Just think of your Comcast Internet Service as being nothing but your conduit to get to the internet.   Further, there ARE some Windows Registry Edits--I am not geeky enough, any more, to do these, myself--I paid Dell Tech Support--to troubleshoot and find resolutions and/or workarounds (as best that could be done) since Comcast is my ISP.  Make sure you have appropriated security and safety tools on your computer--such as Malware-Anti-Malware, an anti-virus protections program, etc.

In other words--as quickly as you can get on the CC Home Page--the E-mail and get OFF--as quickly as you can, for the foreseeable future.  AND, avoid having to even go to these CC/Xfinity web pages, as much as you possibly can, for the foreseeable future.

Service Expert

edron, as far as I know - and can tell - the search engine used on the homepage is Google, not Ask.  It's not the search engine that uses resources, it's the videos and other content that does.

FWIW, it's just so much easier to go to google.com to do a search.

You don't need to go to Xfinity Connect to get your email.  You can use a separate stand-alone email client to fetch your email, completely bypassing any need to go to any Comcast/Xfinity page.  All clients can be set to leave a copy of emails on the web server so you can access them from anywhere, and there are a lot of excellent free email clients out there.  However, if someone needs to use webmail on their computer, a Favorite to the Inbox can be set, again bypassing the homepage all together.  You might be presented with a sign-in page, though.  You can use any page on the internet as a homepage as well.

A good page for news, without video, is Google News, but there are many others out there to use.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I have made separate posts about most of these very same things--in other words, you and I agree about most of this.  But, just try the search box--if you look carefully--especially, when it malfunctions, you might notice what I did that it is "Ask" hosted by Google. 

Most CC Customers do not have the time and/or the technical basis and/or expertise to have to go through all of this.  THAT is THE PROBLEM!!!

Service Expert

People are assuming you are using search on the Comcast home page. You have not said that is the case.

So my questions: is that your home page? Are you using the search function on the page?

I'm using IE 11 on Windows 10. I am a Comcast customer. I have no issues when searching from the Comcast home page (which is not my home page and I avoid it as much as possible) or any other search site. (my home page is https://duckduckgo.com/ No videos, news or ads)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Queen-Evie, Would you try the same experiment that I have tested, and re-tested many, many times, please?

I am using Win 7 Pro, 64-bit and I.E. 11 (I chose not to go for the free upgrade to Win 10).

I no longer use the Comcast Customer Home Page for the IE Home Page (I stay away from that as much as possible).  The experiment is, as follows:  In IE 11:  Load CC Customer Home Page, CC Email page, and CC Customer Forum --this includes being signed into all 3 Web Pages, simultaneously.  Just keep them loaded and minimized on the lower left Windows tool bar--while you go onto other things with your computer, including using IE 11 to go to other Internet Sites, Web Pages, etc. of any company that is not Comcast and /or Xfinity, etc.

See what happens.  The amounts of time are not predictable--maybe 2 minutes, maybe 5 minutes, maybe longer.  The results for me are always the same--eventually, any one, or all Comcast web pages cause IE11 to hang, stop responding, etc.--they are reduced to the endless spinning circle.  They even lose their Screen Icons such as X, C,--and even the IE Icon of the lowercase, blue e.  These icons change into a generic Window System icon.  You will not be able to close the pages. You cannot X-out of them (top right of IE), you cannot right click your mouse and close.  The only thing you can do is "End Task"--of IE running.

For one thing, the links between Comcast Customer Page, CC-email page and, even CC Forum Page(s) have become more significantly and inextricably, embed, and linked.  Sorry, if I am not using all the correct technical (geeky) terms to explain and/or describe.

Service Expert

edron wrote:

Queen-Evie, Would you try the same experiment that I have tested, and re-tested many, many times, please?

I am using Win 7 Pro, 64-bit and I.E. 11 (I chose not to go for the free upgrade to Win 10).

I no longer use the Comcast Customer Home Page for the IE Home Page (I stay away from that as much as possible).  The experiment is, as follows:  In IE 11:  Load CC Customer Home Page, CC Email page, and CC Customer Forum --this includes being signed into all 3 Web Pages, simultaneously.  Just keep them loaded and minimized on the lower left Windows tool bar--while you go onto other things with your computer, including using IE 11 to go to other Internet Sites, Web Pages, etc. of any company that is not Comcast and /or Xfinity, etc.

< snipped >

For one thing, the links between Comcast Customer Page, CC-email page and, even CC Forum Page(s) have become more significantly and inextricably, embed, and linked.  Sorry, if I am not using all the correct technical (geeky) terms to explain and/or describe.

FYI, I tried your test with the following results:

SIgned into Forums, MyAccount, MyServices, Webmail, opened page using google search, tried using home page search....

Home page search redirected me to an Xfinity Search page and did not return any results...  none.  It would seem there is a disconnect between the home page seacrh and receiving any results once you are redirected to the Xfinity Search page.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

First of all, many thanks to those who posted their thoughts and suggestions to solve my issue.  This is what I decided to do, having tried many of your comments.

1.  I removed W 10 and returned to W 7 ultra

2.  I took "my Xfinity" and placed it in IE Favorites

3.  I chose DuckDuckGo as my homepage

Since I have made these changes, I have ZERO issues with anything. My computer runs great so far, and when I need to get e-mail, I just go to my favorites and hit the e-mail option I placed there. Yes, I still use Comcast e-mail but so far no issues have developed. 

I will re-evaluate everything before the free W10 offer runs out on July 29, but I doubt if I go that route..............

Mick 7

Regular Contributor

Thanks for reply, geek_46.  The part that you"snipped" out--was what I really needed to know about--including any of you having the same results as I have been having (AND, lots of others, also expressing).

However, I am very interested in what you found, in addition.  Can you explain this in more detail, please?

Today, for me--the whole thing was a mess--CC Home Page, CC Email,  CC Forum.  Time-outs, running script, Hello Guest on BOTH CC Home Page AND CC E-Mail Page.  Re-directs, GALORE.  I will post anew about these extra problems, later.

Except for one extra thing, I WILL include here--suddenly, I am NOT getting all of my responses from the CC Forum.  In fact, the only way I knew about some of the Forum responses was by clicking on my "Notices" Icon.  The missing Forum Notices (were never e-mailed to me--I checked every folder (even Spam and Trash).  Further, I use Outlook (from MS Office Suite--the Forum responses were not in either place.  That means there is even more wrong.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation