Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Repeated failure messages for email I did not send

Regular Visitor

Repeated failure messages for email I did not send

For months now, every single day I get multiple "Temporary Failure" or "Permanent Error" messages from mailer-daemon@comcast.net. I sometimes see these for random email addresses and assume it is some bot using my address as a return address, but for the past few months they are all attempting to send to one specific address simfriend1@<munged>. I don't play the sims, and haven't for about 10 years. I have changed my password since they started, but still they continue to come. I have gone to thesims3.com to see if I have an account there through which I can get it to stop. No luck.  These 4 to 5 emails each day are driving me crazy and I need them to stop. Help!

Email Expert

Re: Repeated failure messages for email I did not send

Check your Sent folder to see if anything is in there that you know you didn't send. If there is, then the account has been compromised. In that case you need to change the password to something a lot stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question and answer for the account.

If the Sent folder looks OK, then the most likely thing is that your account is being "spoofed". Spammers can make it look like emails came from you when in fact they did not. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do except notify your contacts of the problem and wait it out. Once a spammer has your email address there is nothing you can do to stop it. But in order to avoid detection they will usually only use an address for a while and move on to annoy someone else.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Checked the sent folder, nothing in there. The emails are always trying to be sent to the same exact email (simfriend1@<munged>) and none of my contacts have received spam from my account. It seems like it is trying to send an email through an account I had for The Sims 10 years ago (and thought I had deleted). I tried to login there to see if I could fix the problem , but it cannot find an account with my email address. It seems like what I need to do is to block my account from trying to send to one particular address. Is that even possible?

Email Expert

I've never tried it but I don't see why you couldn't set up a filter to block your account from sending to a particular email address or domain.  If you are still on the old email format, from the Inbox page go to Preferences>>>>>Email>>>>>>Email Filters.  One of the criteria is "To:".  If you are on the new format, from the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, then on Settings>>>>Filter Rules.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

cluccio wrote:
Checked the sent folder, nothing in there. The emails are always trying to be sent to the same exact email (simfriend1<munged>) and none of my contacts have received spam from my account. It seems like it is trying to send an email through an account I had for The Sims 10 years ago (and thought I had deleted). I tried to login there to see if I could fix the problem , but it cannot find an account with my email address. It seems like what I need to do is to block my account from trying to send to one particular address. Is that even possible?

cluccio-

Something is logging into webmail via your account, and sending messages (9 in the past 2 weeks)  to the address you mentioned.  Does anyone else use your account?  If you have not changed your password recently, you should.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I have changed my password twice since this all started.  I have checked the sent folder and nothing shows up there except the few e-mails I have sent via the webmail (not through Thunderbird, which is what I normally use on my computer).  No one else uses my account.  I set up a filter blocking all e-mail to this particular address in hopes that it will stop. If it doesn't, then I think my next move will have to block all e-mail coming to me from the mailer-daemon address (which means I won't know if legitimate e-mails I have sent are not going through, but that's the price I'll have to pay I suppose).

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation