Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Receiving items in spam folder when are not spam

ANSWERED
Contributor

Receiving items in spam folder when are not spam

Why am I receiving certain items in spam, which is clearly not spam ?   I have gone through the entire Comcast/Xfinity website to adjust spam folder.  Very frustrated.

Accepted Solution

Re: complaint

Hello 

I am so sorry your experience with Comcast did not go great. Is there anything that I can help you with? I would be more than happy. 

Here is a link for you to send feedback, which can be found on this website. 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/vp-contact-form

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge.

View answer in context
Contributor

Receiving emails from personal websites on password changes.

I am having trouble receiving emails when changing passwords from personal websites, ie Twitter

Email Expert

Re: Receiving items in spam folder when are not spam

This is a common occurence with most any mail program, especially webmail.  Just keep marking the legitimate messages as Not Spam.  Sooner or later the filters will become "trained" to accept those messages in the Inbox.  If necessary, you can set up a filter to route the messages in question to your Inbox.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Customer Expert

Re: Receiving emails from personal websites on password changes.

I moved this message from the personal web page forum and then merged it into this thread ...

When you are missing such messages, check the spam folder.

Also be sure that you are writing "username@comcast.net" rather than "username@comcast.com" (.net and not .com) on those other sites.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Re: complaint

Hello 

I am so sorry your experience with Comcast did not go great. Is there anything that I can help you with? I would be more than happy. 

Here is a link for you to send feedback, which can be found on this website. 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/vp-contact-form

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

This is still occuring for several months.  Who or how are these items screened ?  Sometimes these do go into my mailbox and other times put in spam box.

Silver Problem Solver

As it's been said, mark the legit messages as "not spam".

No spam filter is flawless, there's likely nothing to fix, unless you're able to design a new spam filter that is automatically able to tell if something is spam or not with 100% accuracy, and distribute that to almost every email provider out there.

If the mails are coming from the same people then set up a filter to move them to your inbox.

Contributor

What I don't understand is why some emails that I receive everyday, sometimes go into the spam file.

Silver Problem Solver

Perhaps other users are marking them as spam, so the filter is confused?

Who knows, once again, no spam filter is 100% flawless.

Contributor

Thank you.

Regular Visitor

It's absurd that Comcast spam filters would flag as Spam any message sent to a user from an email address in that user's Comcast Address Book. The "Solved! Go to solution" link (with the user reporting the problem's still happening 7 months later) and the "no spam filter is 100% flawless" replies would be laughable if this problem were not so serious and widespread among Comcast users.

Silver Problem Solver

Spammers/scammers can spoof their email addresses to make it appear that an email is coming from a friend/family, when it's not, so just having a blanket spam filter that moves all mail from your contacts to your inbox may get spam mail in your inbox. 

If you want to you are more than capable of setting up a filter to move all emails from an email address into your inbox instead of the spam folder, even if the spam filter thinks it's spam, but then you will likely get spam in your inbox and people would then be complaining about that and blaming Comcast for that too.

As I menationed earlier, no spam filter is 100% flawless. This is a fact, whether you like it or not. Other email providers' spam filters are imperfect too. Yahoo, gmail, etc. 

New Poster

I've had a daily subscription for years. A few months ago these messages started going to the spam folder. I have 2 filters set up to keep in inbox, based on subject line and on sender. They don't work. Evidently the spam filter is applied first. Every day I click on the 'Not Spam' button for every message. I've been doing this for months. Still the messages go to spam.

Every other spam filtering utility I've used has a 'Safe Sender' option where the user decides that it's ok to get email from a particular address.

Email Expert

Comcast does indeed have a Safe List.  The problem with that is that once you activate it, you won't get email from anyone who is NOT on that list.  Nothing else will get through.  To access that, sign in to your account, and then click on "My Account" at the top of the page. It will ask you to sign in again. That will take you to a page with tabs at the top. The one to the right is "Users and Preferences". Click on that, and it will open a page with Basic and Email settings. Click on Email settings, and look down the page to "Safe List". Click on the greyed out button to the right to turn it on and then follow the prompts.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Yes. That is a problem with the safelist implementation used by Comcast. It's a bad implementation if you have to include everyone you ever want email from. That is not the way the 'safe senders' function should be implemented. The safe senders feature should just override the spam filter and let the spam filter do its thing on everything else.  See, for example, Proofpoint or pretty much any other spam filter application.

The other Comcast option to turn off spam filtering completely is equally useless.

New Poster

Problem solved.

Switched to gmail which has a decent configurable spam filter.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation