Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: Receiving error 0x800408FC

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I too have been crazy with this same problem for over two months.

While the Comcast folks may be correct that Outlook 2003 is an old and no longer supported mail client, over the years I have invested a lot of time into my personal Outlook setup. This envolves mail segregation by sender, by content, by keyword, etc. When email comes into my Outlook, Outlook splits the mail into unique folders by catagories, thus saving me an incredible amount of time examining each email to determine whether I should read it, keep it, act upon it, or 86 it.

It took a great deal of time to create these interlocking rules. To just say "well it's old and outdated so get something new" without regard is not very understanding on the part of the poster. While I agree and do plan to switch to a more current email client, Comcast should have had their flipping ducks in a row with an upfront answer that would tide me over until I had the time to make the transition.

As it is, my attempts to find a solution to this MYSTERY have consumed an huge piece of my life that I will never get back - time that I could have used to switch to a new email client. Comcast should remove all the dead end "solutions" to this problem, and point folks to this thread which finally solved this issue for me. I like Comcast and believe that they could do better.

Just saying.

BTW does anyone know of an email client that can filter emails with the same specifics as Outlook 2003's "email rules"?

Official Employee

What are your current settings, and which part isn't working specifically?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Networking Expert

cfmolt wrote:

I too have been crazy with this same problem for over two months.

While the Comcast folks may be correct that Outlook 2003 is an old and no longer supported mail client, over the years I have invested a lot of time into my personal Outlook setup. This envolves mail segregation by sender, by content, by keyword, etc. When email comes into my Outlook, Outlook splits the mail into unique folders by catagories, thus saving me an incredible amount of time examining each email to determine whether I should read it, keep it, act upon it, or 86 it.

It took a great deal of time to create these interlocking rules. To just say "well it's old and outdated so get something new" without regard is not very understanding on the part of the poster. While I agree and do plan to switch to a more current email client, Comcast should have had their flipping ducks in a row with an upfront answer that would tide me over until I had the time to make the transition.

As it is, my attempts to find a solution to this MYSTERY have consumed an huge piece of my life that I will never get back - time that I could have used to switch to a new email client. Comcast should remove all the dead end "solutions" to this problem, and point folks to this thread which finally solved this issue for me. I like Comcast and believe that they could do better.

Just saying.

BTW does anyone know of an email client that can filter emails with the same specifics as Outlook 2003's "email rules"?

What do you expect Comcast to 'do better'? They are in the business of providing network connectivity, and enhancing their network to use IPv6 is a major step forward in technology. They are not in the business of supporting mail client configurations, other than providing basic connectivity settings. The problem is not with their network, so they have litttle in the way of responsibility (or ability for that matter) when it comes to resolving the Outlook 2003/IPv6 issue

Microsoft do not support Outlook 2003 anymore, and they do not recommend disabling IPv6, especially on Windows 8, so if you continue to use an unsupported mail client, they won't provide you much support, other than what you can find documented on their support websites. If you continue to use an unsupported mail client AND go against their recommendations by disabling IPv6 then I don't see how they can be held responsible for fixing the problem. Basically, if you use unsupported software in an unrecommended OS configuration, you are pretty much on your own from their perspective.

If you decide to purchase a newer version of Outlook to replace 2003, you should be able to export the rules from 2003 and import them into your new version. Alternatively, there are a number of free email clients that provide extensive filtering capabilities (Thunderbird and GMail are a couple of examples, although GMail isn't strictly an email client) Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to have been much luck when it comes to converting Outlook rules to other client formats due, presumably to the proprietary nature of the formats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

See this too.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/138

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation