Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Please post Spam related questions or comments here

Most Valued Poster

Please post Spam related questions or comments here

To all,

Due to an increase in the number of new threads discussing spam in the email forum lately, it is becoming more difficult to provide assistance to those who have questions on other email topics. So in an effort to ensure everyone is receiving the help they need, we are dedicating this thread to the discussion of spam. Any new threads that are started on this topic in the email forum will be closed with a note referencing this thread.

We ask that you follow these rules when posting to this thread:
• If you have a question regarding spam, please use the forum search feature to search for an answer to your question or read through the responses in this or other spam-related threads.
• Do keep your discussions on-topic. Off-topic posts will be deleted without warning.
• Do keep your posts civil. If you resort to attacking other forum members with name-calling or other inappropriate behavior – you will be placed on moderation without warning.
• Do not post multiple copies of the same post. If you have a question, comment, or suggestion post it one time only – duplicate posts will be deleted without warning.

With that said, we do understand that several of you are frustrated with the higher than normal levels of spam reaching the inbox on your Comcast.net accounts. Your comments, concerns, and suggestions on this topic have been and will continue to be forwarded to the appropriate departments who are working to reduce the spam. We do not have any updates on the specifics of what is being done or when the work will be completed but we will keep you updated as we receive further information.

For those who are looking for ways to reduce the number of spam emails reaching your inbox, please follow these suggestions:

1) Make sure the Comcast spam filter is enabled. Follow the instructions in this FAQ if you need assistance with enabling the Comcast spam filter.

2) Report all spam emails that reach your Inbox by using the Report As Spam button in Comcast webmail or by forwarding each spam message (as an attachment) to missed-spam@comcast.net. It is necessary to continue reporting spam emails to the filters so they can be trained on what emails are considered spam and should be filtered.

3) If you use an email client like Outlook Express on your computer, set up message rules to automatically delete unwanted emails. See this FAQ for help on setting up message rules in Outlook Express.

4) Do not open any unsolicited emails. Review the sender and subject lines of all emails that you receive. If you are not expecting an email from the sender or if the subject is clearly an unsolicited email, chances are that it is spam and you should not open the email because opening it will usually lead to an increase in the number of spam emails that you will receive. Use the report as spam feature for these unsolicited emails to report it directly to the spam filters.

5) If you open an email that is clearly a spam email, please make sure your email client is set up to view emails in plain text mode only. This will prevent spammers from identifying that you have opened their email which will end up with your email address being added to their list of active email addresses.

If you have any questions, please post a reply here and we will do what we can to help answer them.

Thanks
New Poster

Re: Please post Spam related questions or comments here

How many "report as spam" messages can I send to Comcast at one time? This morning I had 18 spams in my Outlook box. I clicked on each one to report it, then clicked "send" to try to send all 18 emails at once. After about 12 or 13 messages were sent, I got the message that no other emails would be accepted from me, due to too many emails being sent at one time. All these barricades are making it harder and harder to send in spam reports.
Email Expert

There's a limit on the rate that you can send mail, to prevent customers from being spammers. There's no special exception for mail to missed-spam@comcast.net.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Quick question regarding suggestion #5: Does opening a message in web-mail satisfy this plain-text requirement (as long as I don't click any links)? Sometimes I can't tell if a message is spam until I open it (and have that ah-ha moment).
Email Expert

It depends on how you have webmail set to view HTML, which is configured in Preferences > Display. If you have "Display HTML in the body of email" checked, then opening the message can cause problems. If you checked "List HTML as an attachment only (recommended for security)" then opening it is safe. But if you then open the attachment, you can again have problems.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Depend, you can set up to view webmail either way.. as HTML mail or as plain text..
TANSTAAFL!!

New Poster

Thanks, guys. I only see text when I check my mail in web-mail, so I went and checked and I have the HTML turned off - must be the default...
Contributor

Thanks for focusing on this issue. I posted this comment in another thread, but did not receive any response.
I have noticed that the same Spam shows up in all my Comcast accounts. It is a pain to report or delete the emails from each account individually. I suggest that Comcast provide a facility that would delete all identified spam from any linked mailboxes. This could even be a parental control, so parents could delete objectionable spam without having to actually access the child account.
BTW, Comcast should add "spam" to the forum message spellchecker.
Email Expert

Since it's possible to access all Comcast mail accounts from one webmail account (using Mailbox Manager), the easiest way to report spam is to do so from webmail. Just check all the spam and click the "Report Spam" button and it reports all of it at one time and moves it to the Trash folder. I do this before downloading to my desktop email client and it takes maybe a minute to report just about all the spam on 4 accounts.

Edit: Jason, I hope you have your fireproof undies on!

mady
Message was edited by: Madylarian

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Since I was instructed in the "proper" way to forward SPAM to Comcast, my SPAM has increased by 7 or 8 extra SPAM E-Mails per day.
This is not logical. Why would the amount of spam increase after I start reporting it to Comcast?

Ridiculous!
New Poster

"Since I was instructed in the "proper" way to forward SPAM to Comcast, my SPAM has increased by 7 or 8 extra SPAM E-Mails per day.
This is not logical. Why would the amount of spam increase after I start reporting it to Comcast? Ridiculous!"

I couldn't agree more. I fairly diligently go to web mail first and 'report as spam' without opening them and then go to email client. It seems the more I report the more that show up!
I want to know what Comcast is doing about it. There are many choices of anti-spam software out there that they could use..........

Obviously they're not doing anything because the SPAM problem is only getting worse with time. You'd think if you pay good money for internet you won't be bothered with dozens of SPAM messagses a day.
Problem Solver

I'd like to take this opportunity to advise Comcast customers to: 1) activate the Spam Filter and thereafter report all inbox spam to missed spam; 2) install or activate a local user configurable spam filter; and 3) inform themselves about the technical details of this spam plague of ours.
Frequent Visitor

probably because of something YOU did. did you visit a website and request additional information from them or thier partners?

did you BUY something online and not pay attention to what boxes are checked?

did you FORWARD a cutesy email chain letter because the story made you want to weep, laugh or get angry about something?

all of those innocent seeming things ALL lead to spammers getting ahold of your email. don't like it? don't do these things.
Contributor

My, but Comcast seems to be getting senstive.
The best way to stop all these spam comments is for Comcast to do sometime about the problem.....

> Message was edited by: Michael
>
> Inappropriate comments removed. Name calling will not be > tolerated in this forum.
>
> Michael Re: SPAM Jan 5, 2006 6:46 PM
>
> Posts: 3,752 From: White Marsh, MD
> Registered: 6/30/03
>
> Thread closed.

Please see this thread if you have any questions or comments regarding spam.

Thanks
Message was edited by: Ray438196
New Poster

I did something new a few days ago. I checked to make sure my Spam filters were activated (and they were). Then I also checked the box to have Comcast save the items identified as Spam in the screened mail folder (I was not doing this before). This morning (one day wait) when I went into my webmail, there were 27 messages that Comcast caught & put into the screened mail folder. Only 7 had come through to my Outlook account. Not good, but actually a whole lot better than what I had thought. So I would suggest that readers be sure to have the webmail accoutn save the emails identified as Spam, just to see what it's catching. I am still so frustrated that I could scream, but I am also using a Spam filter on my Outlook, so almost no junk is actually in my inbox. I still have to delete a ton of it from all these other folders, however, and try to report the ones that do get through back to Comcast.

If I want to set up the "restricted list" filter, is there a way to import my address book without manually typing each name individually?
Most Valued Poster

> If I want to set up the "restricted list" filter, is
> there a way to import my address book without
> manually typing each name individually?

In webmail, no. In any real email client (like Outlook Express), you can easily set up a rule that tells it to take any messages from people who aren't in your address book, and move them straight to the trash.
New Poster

I was using web mail and reporting spam. Then, like another poster, I started forwarding as attachment to missed-spam from Outlook Express about a month ago, and the number of spam e mails received has tripled? What is happening here? Very frustrating especially when you can forward only one spam at a time.

Did I buy something and give my e mail? Nope! I only give a Yahoo address that I have used for years for just that purpose.

And there is another question; I have given that Yahoo address hundreds of times to all kinds of sites and people but get only one or two spam messages a WEEK to that address in the inbox. (They do have a spam filter that I set it to automatically trash spam). It almost never makes my inbox.

Why doesn't Comcast spam filter work as good as their spam filter?

But even my Norton anti spam filter for OE is only catching 60-70 % of the spam.

Sorry if this sounds too critical but this seems to be getting worse instead of better.
Most Valued Poster

> I was using web mail and reporting spam. Then, like
> another poster, I started forwarding as attachment to
> missed-spam from Outlook Express about a month ago,
> and the number of spam e mails received has
> tripled
? What is happening here?

I think I can guess: in OE, you have the preview pane turned on. So, even though you don't think you're "opening" the spam messages, the preview pane is opening them, which triggers the little web bugs that tell the spammers that you're a "live one." I've started getting a lot more spam, and I'm pretty sure it's because I've occasionally, accidentally, opened a few of these messages.

If I'm wrong, it may just be that, over time, the spammers' "address guessing" programs will eventually grab every email address, whether you've ever used it or not. It's like entropy.

> And there is another question; I have given that
> Yahoo address hundreds of times to all kinds of sites
> and people but get only one or two spam messages a
> WEEK to that address in the inbox. (They do have a
> spam filter that I set it to automatically trash
> spam). It almost never makes my inbox.
>
> Why doesn't Comcast spam filter work as good as their
> spam filter?

Yahoo's spam filters are, I suspect, a lot tighter than Comcast's, but not as tight as AOL's. The penalty, of course, is that legitimate email is more likely to get filtered out, and disappear into that great bit bucket in the sky. AOL, for example, is notorious for doing this.

Oh, this is fine and dandy. Even though my thread was created before this thread, mine was closed as soon as I asked for status (since I had received none).

So, let's talk about spam here. Let's talk about it everyday and how Comcast reps don't want to take responsibility for anything, and how any request is dropped into a giant well and never heard from again.

Let's talk about how I got 11 spams today (so far!) on my Comcast account where I'm not given a way to filter everything out except Comcast-only messages.

Let's talk about how if I go a week without checking e-mail, I'll have 70-80 e-mails to sift through.

Let's talk about how last week I got 75 e-mails and not one of them was from Comcast, but I had to POP all of them over just to find that out.

Let's talk about how talking about spam seems like a waste of time on here.

Let's talk about how, from a different e-mail source, I got a spam directly from a comcast IP address just this morning (c-67-175-45-75.hsd1.il.comcast.net ).

The problem is getting worse. Obviously, I'm not the only one seeing it. Maybe I should just shut off my e-mail account here and not bother? Or maybe I should auto-forward my account to Jason? Or maybe the CEO? Will that get a non-scripted, intelligent reply?

Let's talk about the *current* gripe threads on BroadbandReports.com/DSLReports.com that are directly related to this topic.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15130409

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15178634

There are too many legitimate and corroborated complaints for Comcast to sweep them away like this. If complaints about spam and lack of filters on Comcast's side are filling the forum, then Comcast must fix the problems, not figure out a way to ignore them.
Bronze Problem Solver

>Or maybe I should auto-forward my account to Jason? Or maybe the CEO? Will that get a non-scripted, intelligent reply?

The above action you advocate will not result in anything except Jason and the CEO blocking you in their client side spam filters. They will never see your forwarded emails.

Spam is a real issue that is getting worse, but actions such as this only contribute to the problem and do not constructively contribute to any discussion about fixing the problem.
Most Valued Poster

Anon1412399,

We are not ignoring the spam discussions on this forum. There have been many threads over the past month or longer that discuss spam and the same questions have been asked and answered many times. The purpose of moving all of these discussions into one topic is to allow others with non-spam related email questions a better chance to have their questions answered. Also, it is normal on almost any forum existing today to keep similar discussions in one thread - it helps to make sure everyone is seeing the same info.

As for the topic you mentioned in your earlier thread, we have stated that the feature you have requested currently does not exist on the Comcast system. We have forwarded the suggestion on to the email team responsible for these functions for consideration.

Here in the forums, we do not necessarily have answers to every question that is asked and we cannot grant every request that is posted to these forums. However, we have and will continue to forward suggestions, feedback, and issues that customers report to the appropriate Comcast department.

Again, we're not trying to ignore spam discussions and we are not trying to act like there are no complaints regarding spam. But remember that first and foremost, this is a "help forum" where Comcast customers come to get assistace and answers to their questions. The multitude of posts discussing the same spam complaints and questions make it harder for others to get the help that they are asking for.

Thanks

My reply is interleaved with yours below:

> We are not ignoring the spam discussions on this
> forum. There have been many threads over the past
> month or longer that discuss spam and the same
> questions have been asked and answered many times.
> The purpose of moving all of these discussions into
> o one topic is to allow others with non-spam related
> email questions a better chance to have their
> questions answered. Also, it is normal on almost any
> forum existing today to keep similar discussions in
> one thread - it helps to make sure everyone is seeing
> the same info.
>
Not to the level this forum has taken it. My thread was about the filter for Comcast-only e-mail. Not spam! Yet you locked it. That was over the top.

> As for the topic you mentioned in your earlier
> thread, we have stated that the feature you have
> requested currently does not exist on the Comcast
> system. We have forwarded the suggestion on to the
> email team responsible for these functions for
> consideration.
>
Where I will never hear about it again, and my thread will be locked so I can't bring the subject back up without having to start yet another topic and dig and link to all the other threads.

> Here in the forums, we do not necessarily have
> answers to every question that is asked and we cannot
> grant every request that is posted to these forums.

I never said you had all the answers yourself, or that Comcast must grant every request. That's a strawman response, and is just silly.

> However, we have and will continue to forward
> d suggestions, feedback, and issues that customers
> report to the appropriate Comcast department.
>
I want to believe you. What is the tracking number of the request? Is there any tracking information, or do I just have to trust you'll track it? I and many others have had dubious results with Comcast reps unless they were pinned down.

> Again, we're not trying to ignore spam discussions
> and we are not trying to act like there are no
> complaints regarding spam. But remember that first
> and foremost, this is a "help forum" where Comcast
> customers come to get assistace and answers to their
> questions. The multitude of posts discussing the
> same spam complaints and questions make it harder for
> others to get the help that they are asking for.
>
By locking every single thread that even *mentions* the word "spam" you make it that much harder to carry on intelligent conversations, since:
1) Further replies in a thread are cut off.
2) Crowding all complaints in one thread makes it harder to track all the sub-threads, thus they get lost in the noise.
You're trading one inconvenience for another. Who's going to read a 500 post thread? And if you don't think this thread will grow to that size, think again. And if your solution to that is to create another thread, well then, we've come back to #1 again.

Locking everyone in a small closet and saying "discuss!" is pretty much the same as ignoring them. You can choose not to read the thread, or only the loudest shouters in the thread will get heard... maybe.

> Thanks
Email Expert

> Not to the level this forum has taken it. My thread
> was about the filter for Comcast-only e-mail. Not
> spam! Yet you locked it. That was over the top.

Oh please. Your thread was about spam. You asked a question and got the answer. It wasn't the answer you wanted so now you continue to rant on about it.

> Where I will never hear about it again, and my thread
> will be locked so I can't bring the subject back up
> without having to start yet another topic and dig
> and link to all the other threads.

I believe you were given a number of suggestions on how to do what you want on a good desktop email client. What you are demanding is pretty much impossible in every other ISP-offered webmail account I've ever seen (3 others besides Comcast) and I don't even think it can be done in Yahoo or Hotmail either. In other words, what you are asking is bordering on unrealistic for the webmail-hosting entity and easily done by you. So stop whining and do it yourself.

> By locking every single thread that even *mentions*
> the word "spam" you make it that much harder to carry
> on intelligent conversations, since:
> 1) Further replies in a thread are cut off.

Horse hockey. Replies are now just all in one place. And since the questions, rants and whines are all the same, it saves those of us who respond from having to post the same thing in 10 different thread.

> 2) Crowding all complaints in one thread makes it
> harder to track all the sub-threads, thus they get
> lost in the noise.

Agreed. But since all the "noise" is the same it also makes it easier for those of us so inclined to ignore it.

mady

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Unfortunately, the "help" that is offered when someone posts a complaint about Comcast's handling of spam often consists largely of a group of high volume posters going into attack mode. Most people are not “helped” when they get a broadside of arrogance, intolerance, disrespect and sarcasm for having the audacity to say something negative about Comcast.

If Comcast is really serious about reducing spam, why do Comcast customers have to report spam cannons within the Comcast system? A moderator could at least respond to the latest report (#39) from NewView (http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?threadID=52785&tstart=0) by saying “this has been escalated”. If Comcast is really serious about reducing spam, why should RE-reporting and RE-escalation of an internal spam cannon report be necessary? If Comcast is really serious about reducing spam, are one report / escalation not enough to initiate action?
Email Expert

> Most people are not
> “helped” when they get a broadside of arrogance,
> intolerance, disrespect and sarcasm for having the
> audacity to say something negative about Comcast.

Most people don't really ask questions that can be "helped". Most people are just posting the same complaints over and over again. Most people want that magic snap that makes all their spam disappear. And despite being told over and over again that such a thing does not exist, they keep demanding it. The fact is that they don't like the answers they get when those are the only available answers.

mady, off to cash in on that $1million prize she was assured of getting because the envelope said so

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

moderator could at least respond to the latest report (#39) from NewView (http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?threadID=52785&tstart=0) by saying “this has been escalated”.

A mod did respond.. with the exact words you requested.. And I note.. they usually (almost always) do reply, even without someone prompting them to.

and to Mady.. I keep telling you.. If you are going to make sense.. the email forum is apparently not the correct place Smiley Wink
TANSTAAFL!!

post deleted
Message was edited by: Jason1
New Poster

I must agree with a previous poster that the arrogance of the regular posters on these forums is astounding. They immediately go in to attack dog mode as surrogates of Comcast when people are posting legitimate complaints. This recent SPAM explosion is a Comcast problem. I don't get this gibberish on my Verizon DSL address, my gmail, yahoo or hotmail addresses---only my prime Comcast address that has never been used except for personal correspondence. Telling people that it is their fault or that the select few don't have this problem solves nothing. Comcast needs to get proactive immediately. This has been going on since the middle of November.
Most Valued Poster

CajunTek,

Let's give Comcast the benefit of the doubt and assume that the response from Michael had nothing to do with my request. The real point is that neither the report from NewView nor the response should have been necessary. This information is hardly top secret and if Comcast was really serious about reducing spam, someone would be looking at the information and taking action to shut down the spam cannons without repeatedly having to be notified by a customer.
Bronze Problem Solver

> CajunTek,
>
> Let's give Comcast the benefit of the doubt and
> assume that the response from Michael had nothing to
> do with my request. The real point is that neither
> the report from NewView nor the response should have
> been necessary. This information is hardly top
> secret and if Comcast was really serious about
> reducing spam, someone would be looking at the
> information and taking action to shut down the spam
> cannons without repeatedly having to be notified by a
> customer.

I absolutely agree with that.. I am totally ambivalent about the amount of spam in my inbox (likely because it's minimal).. But I do think that comcast must get serious about the zombies and all those ROSKO spammers who are comcast customers out there (some of them spewing for a year or more.. That has to stop.. Or we won't be able to send an email to anyone..
TANSTAAFL!!

I get my generic response deleted and Mady's doesn't?

Real slick there Jason.

Stifle the critics of the company, yet allow the attackers of the critics to remain.

And Jason, where's the tracking number? I don't think your word is worth beans at this point.
New Poster

<<<
I think I can guess: in OE, you have the preview pane turned on. So, even though you don't think you're "opening" the spam messages, the preview pane >>>

Yes, . . . . you are wrong. I never have nor would use the preview screen in Outlook Express.

And no one else should either!
Most Valued Poster

> Yes, . . . . you are wrong. I never have nor would
> use the preview screen in Outlook Express.

Well, then, I guess I'm stuck with "entropy." Yes, that's my final answer!
Most Valued Poster

Anono1412399,

The only time a post will be edited or deleted is when it does not conform to the stated Forum Guidelines. As long as posts are kept civil and on topic, you have nothing to worry about.

With regard to your request for a tracking number; the admins receive the requests from this forum in the form of e-mail and via daily reports. When information becomes available, we will post it back here in the forums. And because we get numerous requests through many channels (phone, forums, e-mail), we are not always in a position to follow up on each and every one. This does nothing to diminish the attention that we give to these suggestions.
Regular Contributor

> > CajunTek,
> >
> > Let's give Comcast the benefit of the doubt and
> > assume that the response from Michael had nothing
> to
> > do with my request. The real point is that
> neither
> > the report from NewView nor the response should
> have
> > been necessary. This information is hardly top
> > secret and if Comcast was really serious about
> > reducing spam, someone would be looking at the
> > information and taking action to shut down the
> spam
> > cannons without repeatedly having to be notified by
> a
> > customer.
>
>
> I absolutely agree with that.. I am totally
> ambivalent about the amount of spam in my inbox
> (likely because it's minimal).. But I do think that
> comcast must get serious about the zombies and
> all those ROSKO spammers who are comcast customers
> out there (some of them spewing for a year or more..
> That has to stop.. Or we won't be able to send an
> email to anyone..

I absolutely agree, too. Here's what they are saying about this over at BBR. I see a lot of members from here, posting over there, in this thread.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15178634
Contributor

> probably because of something YOU did. did you visit
> a website and request additional information from
> them or thier partners?
>
>

These reasons aren't always why SPAMmers harvest email addresses. I only receive SPAM in my primary account, yet I do not use that email account for anything online, and only family and friends have it legitimately.

There has to be another reason for the added SPAM. Could an email address harvester be getting them by doing a webcrawl of our user directories, parse out most of the URL leaving only the username, and have some program that adds @comcast.net to the resulting list of usernames? And they're selling it? Ick.

I don't know, but this is getting to be a waste of time. Comcast used to be awesome about SPAM filtering.

Cheryl
New Poster

I would like to add that I don't use my comcast account for anthing much. Yet I receive far, far more spam from Comcast than my more used Yahoo, Gmail, or my old Earthlink accounts.

Therefore I have to conclude that Comcast has indeed a very poor spam blocking system. And yes, I report every bad email as spam to comcast. It simply doesn't work. So Comcast, either fire your current spamblocker or spend some money to upgrade it.

I think the problem is comcast. I created a new email account a month or so ago.... i have never used it for anything. i opened it for the first time today (jan 6 just set up outlook) and i had over 200 spam messages!!! i think there is a flaw in comcasts internet service. It seems unable to block Spam. at my office i used a isp out of boston my email address is on ebay and i use it for everything and the only spam i recive is ebay paypal related (this is to be expected). My main comcast email account recives 10-20 spam messages a day. Its a sad day when you cant rely on your isp to secure your unused email address.

And yet another apologist. You see, this is civil. And it conforms. And what I'm saying here is the same as what Jason deleted. But, Jason is having a bad week, I guess.

As far as tracking numbers, I just went to the live chat and opened a ticket that way. I suppose Jason was simply confused by ticket vs. tracking number. The difference is 2 days (actually never, so far) via forum and 15 minutes via live chat.

I suppose this will be deleted too in good fashion. Anything critical of Comcast or its apologists is taboo. But insult a critic and you're just fine.

Don't wave the guidelines at me. I'm certainly not the one who isn't reading them. You didn't even know what Jason deleted.

Here's another request. Listen to your *customers* who have legitimate issues and don't give an answer that doesn't address the problem, especially when you don't know what you're talking about. Also, rein in the trolls lurking in this forum. Yes, some of those same people I see at BBR, but they don't get away with quite so much trolling as they do here.

Anyway, good luck to you. This forum hasn't been helpful, so I'll just make sure I skip it from now on.

> Anono1412399,
>
> The only time a post will be edited or deleted is
> when it does not conform to the stated
> > 18&tstart=0>Forum Guidelines. As long as posts
> are kept civil and on topic, you have nothing to
> worry about.
>
> With regard to your request for a tracking number;
> the admins receive the requests from this forum in
> the form of e-mail and via daily reports. When
> information becomes available, we will post it back
> here in the forums. And because we get numerous
> requests through many channels (phone, forums,
> e-mail), we are not always in a position to follow up
> on each and every one. This does nothing to diminish
> the attention that we give to these suggestions.
Bronze Problem Solver

Said by Captain Spaulding.. and liberaly edited by me to include the only other ISP mentioned..

I don't get this gibberish on my
Verizon DSL address,

Then you got lucky.. yep lucky..

I have two friends with Verizon.. One of them gets over 900 spam emails every day.. (I told him havin an email address whose first 3 letters were abc would be a big problem..)

I have another who gets much less.. Only 4 or 5 spam mails a day..

Yes some of it is gibberish.. So.. again I say.. You got lucky...

Check over at the dslreports.com spam forum, you'll find complaints like yours from every ISP and really from all over the world..

Oh I know I'm defending Comcast.. Being an apologist..

NO I AM NOT I am being a realist.. I know spam is a big problem at every ISP and they are all working to find some way to put a stop to it..

I even have a friend that went out and bought the Barracuda firewall (You may have heard of it's an antispam/ antispyware firewall solution).. From January to October it stopped everything.. Then sometime in late October everything went to hades in handbasket and spam was literaly flying in.. They did a firmware upgrad and it reduced it.. But it still has not gone back to its 100% success rate..

What Comcast (boy I feel like a broken record here..) needs to do is this.. Put a stop to the Zombied Comcast customers and the ROSKO spammers on the network and I will be a happy camper..

another Cajun rambling..
Message was edited by: CajunTek
TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor

CWH803 Re: Diligenty reporting spam - is it worth it? Dec 29, 2005 12:38 PM

Report Abuse

Uncle George again raises the question "Comcast has not provided any proof that the "training" has any effect whatsoever," even though other posters have provided such objective measures for this particular issue.

There are, however, other objective Comcast anti-spam parameters that I would be interested in reading. Measures such as:

1) Brightmail's spam block count over time;

2) Brightmail's input "this is a spam message" count over time;

3) Frequency of Brighmail's "learning mode" execution;

4) Comcast originated spam message count over time;

5) Comcast Spam Cannon identification and removal over time;

6) Comcast's count of non-Comcast server port 25 messages overtime;

7) Description of Comcast's spam cannon detection and removal procedure;

It seems to this writer that Comcast does not have many resources targeting our obvious spam plague.

I like your ideas. As an employee of a company that provides services to our clients, we have to provide statistics to our customers, why shouldn't a service provider such as Comcast? We pay a lot of money monthly for their service.
Contributor

Madylarian Re: Subject lines filled with Profanity Dec 30, 2005 3:26 AM

Report Abuse

Do you know why you suddenly started getting that spam in your mailbox recently? It's because the month of November saw the release of a particularly nasty SOBER worm. This one came as a letter from the FBI or IRS and despite the many warnings not to open such mail or click on urls in such mail, lots of people did. And in doing so they allowed their computers to be hijacked and used to spew record amounts of spam to the rest of us. Every spam reporting and measuring organization has rated this latest SOBER worm the worst in many years.

So I'm sorry, but it IS up to you to handle it.

--------------------------------------

Mady, thanks for the info about "SOBER" worm. I don't keep up with most of the email worms because I protect myself, but this could explain why an email address that I don't use on the NET would get out there to SPAMmers. I don't agree that it's "up to you to handle it" but that's only because I know how the company I work for handles SPAM on the server side, and only a few get through. SOBER or no SOBER.

Cheryl
Most Valued Poster

Anon1412399,

Firstly, your earlier post was deleted because it violated the 3rd bullet point that I stated in my initial post on this forum:

Do keep your posts civil. If you resort to attacking other forum members with name-calling or other inappropriate behavior – you will be placed on moderation without warning.

These rules were stated in the initial post and I clearly stated that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Thus, I did not delete your post because of a bad week, I'm simply following the rules that I laid out earlier and that I asked others posting to this thread to follow.

As for madylarian's post, I do not see any inappropriate responses in it. It possibly could be toned down a little but there is no name calling or personal attacks nor does it violate any other rules I laid out earlier. I have witnessed many of madylarian's posts over the past few years and she has no problem voicing her displeasure over a feature or service provided by Comcast and she receives the same treatment that any other forum member gets. If her posts get out of line, they will be edited as anyone else's.

And about the tracking numbers, in the forums we will generate a ticket/tracking number for any issue that affects any individual customer. For the recent issue of spam that has spawned this forum thread, you are not alone in wanting to voice your displeasure with the spam level. And as Michael stated above, when an issue affects multiple customers, we do not issue tickets on these issues. Instead, we include a summary of the customer feedback in a report that is sent to all executive departments of Comcast HSI every day. It is a more effective method and, for lack of a better explanation, it is a way of starting at the top of the chain of command and working down through the chain to each and every department responsible for the issue. We have escalated many issues via this method and it is much more effective to notify the executives first so the issue receives a higher priority that escalating tickets. Some examples include newsgroup issues from 2004; updates to the Comcast.net site and webmail that affected several customers; speed upgrade issues from last year; DNS outages in 2005; and a plethora of other issues that we have escalated and been able to track down and resolve quickly.

Apologies that I cannot issue you a tracking number for this issue but simply put, there is not a tracking number for it. Myself and the other forum moderators here are your direct link to the company vice presidents, CEO, and senior directors as they all receive a daily summary of the active discussions in these forums. I can't force you to accept my word that everyone's comments, concerns, and suggestions are being escalated to the appropriate executives but I will assure you that we are escalating the information and the appropriate teams are working to address this issue.

With this said, I want to remind everyone here to please keep this thread on topic. This discussion is about spam related questions and comments. If you have something that fits this description, please feel free to post a reply here. If you have issues with the way this forum is run or any other issues not related to spam, please start a new topic and post your questions or comments.

Thanks
Contributor

Mr X Re: Ton-O-Spam Jan 3, 2006 10:26 PM

Report Abuse

Just to throw out another option. All will not agree but each person has to make thier own choice. You can always report the spam to the originating ISP using service at www.spamcop.net. Once you set up free account you can forward anything Thunderbird(or whatever mail client) tags as spam to them. If you have had an account for a long enough period with spamcop they will even give u a quick report option that doesn't require you to confirm sending a report.

Remember this is just another option. I'm not saying it is a perfect solution. While it's easy to train a mail client to my individual taste I'm sure it's not that easy from ISP end. Comcast could and needs to do better though.

----------------------------

It just seems that we, as customers, shouldn't have to spend all of the time involved to report all of these SPAM emails when they should be filtered better at the server. I know I don't have time for all that. I don't have time to read all the messages here to figure out what's going on, yet I'm now devoting a couple of hours to see what you all have to say, to find out that I'm not the only one, and I can't even reply to them in the thread they were posted in. More work for me. I know I know... wah wah wah. Smiley Wink

Cheryl
Contributor

> Mr X Re: Ton-O-Spam Jan 3, 2006 10:26 PM
>
> Posts: 132 From: NJ
> Registered: 6/30/03
> Report Abuse
>
> Just to throw out another option. All will not agree
> but each person has to make thier own choice. You can
> always report the spam to the originating ISP using
> service at www.spamcop.net. Once you set up free
> account you can forward anything Thunderbird(or
> whatever mail client) tags as spam to them. If you
> have had an account for a long enough period with
> spamcop they will even give u a quick report option
> that doesn't require you to confirm sending a report.
>
>
> Remember this is just another option. I'm not saying
> it is a perfect solution. While it's easy to train a
> mail client to my individual taste I'm sure it's not
> that easy from ISP end. Comcast could and needs to do
> better though.
>
> ----------------------------
>
> It just seems that we, as customers, shouldn't have
> to spend all of the time involved to report all of
> these SPAM emails when they should be filtered better
> at the server. I know I don't have time for all that.
> I don't have time to read all the messages here to
> o figure out what's going on, yet I'm now devoting a
> couple of hours to see what you all have to say, to
> find out that I'm not the only one, and I can't even
> reply to them in the thread they were posted in. More
> work for me. I know I know... wah wah wah. Smiley Wink
>
> Cheryl

I have to append a comment: My parents became Comcast High speed customers about 6 months ago. To this day, they do not get the volume of SPAM that I (and apparently a lot of you) get. In fact, my mom said they haven't received any. What makes their fairly new account different from my (and probably most of your) account(s) that have been around for a while? Their email address isn't in as many address books yet? Maybe. It's just interesting to me how the SPAM disease progresses.
Most Valued Poster

> Mady, thanks for the info about "SOBER" worm. I don't
> keep up with most of the email worms because I
> protect myself, but this could explain why an email
> address that I don't use on the NET would get out
> there to SPAMmers. I don't agree that it's "up to
> you to handle it" but that's only because I know how
> the company I work for handles SPAM on the server
> side, and only a few get through. SOBER or no
> SOBER.

Cheryl,

One comment here - the way businesses handle spam is quite different from how a residential ISP handles spam. For instance, in many businesses they will state in their company policies that their email system is not to be used for personal needs and they usually state that the business reserves the right to monitor email traffic and deny or accept any email destined for your account. These rules are usually put in place to keep employees productive, keep their email system clean from potential viruses, and other reasons. Because of this, businesses will usually place a tighter restriction on their email system that will end up with less unsolicited email.

However, since Comcast HSI is a residential service, the goal is to cater to our customers. Some customers want to receive emails regarding drug prescriptions, rolex watches, or whatever the latest spam topics cover so they do not want these emails denied. On the other hand, some Comcast customers do not want these types of emails to be delivered to their inbox so these are the ones who consider these topics spam. The difference is that as a residential ISP, Comcast has made an agreement to not restrict what you can and cannot receive in your email that is hosted by us. The issue is that a happy-medium needs to be found that satisfies the customers who want to receive these types of emails and those who don't want to receive these emails. Hence, the Comcast email rules are not as strict as most business email services so it is more challenging to set the spam filtering levels at Comcast than at a business.

Personally, I will also say that there are more unsolicited emails in my Comcast inbox than I would like to see so I do understand the frustrations that many have posted above and around this forum. As we have mentioned before, we are notifying the executives and they are putting pressure on the appropriate teams to improve the situation. It likely will not improve overnight but I will assure you that this is one of the top priorites that the teams are working on at this moment due to the increase of customer feedback on the spam issue.
Contributor

jakie22 Reporting Spam Jan 5, 2006 4:24 AM

Report Abuse

Why is it that when I report spam, as soon as I click report spam and go back to inbox I will instantly have 5 more spam messages! Whats up with that.(and I'm getting the same spam that everyone else is complaining about: rolex viagra stock tips refinance and about 5 out of the 15-20 per day get filtered) If we all know we are getting the same spam mails then its not who we are giving our emails out to or what we are signing up for unless we are all have the exact same surfing habits.

---------------------------------

Now that you mention it, I noticed that, too. For a while I was only able to use Web mail at work and I used the "report spam" feature (which I never knew about with POP mail) and now I get a lot more SPAM, too.
Contributor

Dr. DUH Re: Comcast partly responsible for all the SPAM ? Jan 4, 2006 10:58 AM

Report Abuse

Comcast. being one of the largest Service Providers, is a primary target for spammers using dictionary and alphabet attacks. (These attacks just use @Comcast.net -- where is every word in the dictionary, and aa aaa aaaa aaaaa aaaaaa ... to zz zzz zzzz zzzzz zzzzzz...) Likely you'll get hit. using - and _ and numbers make you more likely to escape (the less sophisticated programs), but, I'm afraid it's gonna get you regardless. Comcast's only fault here is that they're so successful - i.e. they has such a large user base.

(Harvesting is much more expensive than alphabet attacking, I doubt that's an issue.)

Typo fixed by: Dr. DUH

-------------------------

For crying out loud, this is ********. SPAMmers are not doing dictionary "attacks" like password crackers do. I admit I don't know SPAMmers tactics, but that would be stupid. They are either harvesting, or they are buying lists.

Alpha attacks. Give me a break.
Message was edited by: Michael
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community