Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

POP3 E-Mail Gone Forever???? Well, Maybe Not (Yet)...

ANSWERED
Contributor

POP3 E-Mail Gone Forever???? Well, Maybe Not (Yet)...

The Comcast e-mail server (POP3, which I have been using for many years) has become more and more unreliable over the past few months. Today I am told that Comcast ("Xfinity") no longer supports POP3 email because "Port 425 is closed" and that I must convert my e-mail software from POP to IMAP. I had received no notice whatsoever about this disruption, nor has any agent I have called recently told me anything except that "our POP3 server is temporarily down and we are working on the problem." Furthermore I am told that Comcast has no Help page that explains how to do this conversion for the most popular e-mail software in the world. Does anyone have an explanation, advice, or a step-by-step? -- JCW17
Accepted Solution

Re: POP3 E-Mail Gone Forever???? Well, Maybe Not (Yet)...

POP3 is currently supported and there is no official plan to phase out POP3. Comcast does prefer IMAP as it is a more robust solution on many levels. For the large majority of our customers who now, more than ever, use multiple devices IMAP provides a superior experience.

View answer in context
Tags (3)
Contributor

Re: POP3 E-Mail Gone Forever????

UPDATE: (boy this system is clunky!) Later today my POP3 mail is working fine. I called in again and was told by another agent that all of the above is nonsense. Meanwhile I received by e-mail from the first agent instructions to configure Comcast e-mail either way, and I'm using the correct settings for POP3 under Outlook 2013. This was apparently yet another "temporary" failure of Comcast's POP3 server. A potentially useful tidbit got from this second guy is that the IMAP server is newer and may be less trouble-prone, but I don't want to convert to IMAP. Again, any opinions? -- JCW17
Contributor

Can this possibly be the solution to my problem: http://tweaks.com/windows/40099/how-to-properly-disable-ipv6/ (found elsewhere on this forum)? -- JCW17
Silver Problem Solver

Comcast was having email issues Friday afternoon/evening.

Contributor

andyross wrote:

Evidently, although they wouldn't admit it. My real problem (other than getting conflicting answers form different techs) is that these "issues" are getting more and more frequent with POP3, even when Web mail is working. Are they backing away from POP3 in favor of IMAP, or was this just one uninformed tech's view?
Email Expert

JCW17 wrote:

andyross wrote:

Evidently, although they wouldn't admit it. My real problem (other than getting conflicting answers form different techs) is that these "issues" are getting more and more frequent with POP3, even when Web mail is working. Are they backing away from POP3 in favor of IMAP, or was this just one uninformed tech's view?

Comcast email is now IMAP compliant by default.  However, the POP3 settings should work in any desktop client including Outlook.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Latoque wrote:

Comcast email is now IMAP compliant by default.  However, the POP3 settings should work in any desktop client including Outlook.  

Well, let me put it this way: Are you using IMAP (as it sounds) or POP3. If IMAP, are you experiencing frequent (at least once a week) server issues? -- JCW17
Email Expert

JCW17 wrote:

Latoque wrote:

Well, let me put it this way: Are you using IMAP (as it sounds) or POP3. If IMAP, are you experiencing frequent (at least once a week) server issues? -- JCW17

I'm using IMAP.  At one time I used POP3 and had no issues with it.  I will say that Comcast recommends IMAP, but the POP settings should still work.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Just in case anyone else out there is still using POP3, here's the only useful statement I was able to extract from the "Office of Tom Karinshak" on the subject: "The information I have researched today is that POP3 is currently not being phased out as of yet." -- JCW17
Frequent Visitor

Just told by level 2 support, no more POP3. But very few in Comcast know that. Spent three days trying to figure out why POP3 cannot receive on Outlook 2007 and 2003. Just did a chat with Comcast and was told how to set up new POP3 connection........

Silver Problem Solver

FAKE NEWS. POP3 is still working fine. I have Thunderbird using the POP interface, and it's still working. It's a bit slow at times and goes dead, but that also seems to affect the Webmail interface and even the Connect app on my phone.

Frequent Visitor

RE Fake News. Did not make this up, just off phone from Level 2 support at Comcast. I asked why many at Comcast support do not know this and he just laughed and obviously would not comment. I commented that this is typical of major networks, big and small, and he did agree to that.

He said that all of support did not read the memo about turning off POP3. And did say that based on my symptoms on three totally different computers that stopped receiving POP3 at the same time, that they must have turned off POP3 on the local server at that time. No other possible explination.

For what it's worth.

Contributor

POP3 still working here too through Outlook 2013. -- JCW17
Official Employee

POP3 is currently supported and there is no official plan to phase out POP3. Comcast does prefer IMAP as it is a more robust solution on many levels. For the large majority of our customers who now, more than ever, use multiple devices IMAP provides a superior experience.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Email Expert

I just set up a POP3 account in Mac Mail for a Comcast account and it works just fine.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

ComcastBrett wrote:

POP3 is currently supported and there is no official plan to phase out POP3. Comcast does prefer IMAP as it is a more robust solution on many levels...

ComcastBrett (or whoever else knows) -- First thanks for some clarity on this matter at last!

Here's a related question: If and only if we are forced to make the switch from POP3 to IMAP (whether because Comcast discontinues POP3 or because the local POP3 server becomes too unreliable to tolerate), is there a way in IMAP and MS Outlook to continue downloading mail rather than leaving it permanently in the "cloud?" (In other words, I would like to make IMAP look as much like POP3 as possible!)

There are many reasons that someone without multiple devices might want to do this, simplicity, security and occasional unavailability of an Internet connection to name a few.  Even with multiple devices in POP3 there are ways (at least through Outlook) to leave messages on the server until you want to delete them. -- JCW17

Email Expert

I have no experience with Outlook, but in Mac Mail I have the option to create local folders on the computer that are not affected by the IMAP protocol.  They exist only on my Mac, and the backup hard drive I use.  Does Outlook not have that ability?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Latoque wrote:

...in Mac Mail I have the option to create local folders on the computer that are not affected by the IMAP protocol.  They exist only on my Mac, and the backup hard drive I use.  Does Outlook not have that ability?

I've never had to confront this problem, but that sounds like a great solution... -- JCW17

Frequent Visitor

Hello Comcast Support:

OK, so POP3 is still working??? So why would three different computers, 2 with Outlook 2007 and one with 2003, stop receiving via POP3 at exactly the same time. And WHY, does a level 2 Comcast support person tell me on the phone that they are switching over to ONLY IMAP and that is why I cannot receive on multiple devicesw any more. I set up IMAP, no problem. Receive and send OK.

Any WHY, on chat, does a Comcast support person tell me exactly how to set up POP3 for Outlook 2007 and 2003, and then tell me for sure it will work, and after setting it up like he said, POP3 will still  will not receive on any computer.

Come on Comcast, sort this nonsense out???? Please . I really want to use POP3 and it is still setup but still does not receive.

Official Employee

wpleasant wrote:

Hello Comcast Support:

OK, so POP3 is still working??? So why would three different computers, 2 with Outlook 2007 and one with 2003, stop receiving via POP3 at exactly the same time. And WHY, does a level 2 Comcast support person tell me on the phone that they are switching over to ONLY IMAP and that is why I cannot receive on multiple devicesw any more. I set up IMAP, no problem. Receive and send OK.

Any WHY, on chat, does a Comcast support person tell me exactly how to set up POP3 for Outlook 2007 and 2003, and then tell me for sure it will work, and after setting it up like he said, POP3 will still  will not receive on any computer.

Come on Comcast, sort this nonsense out???? Please . I really want to use POP3 and it is still setup but still does not receive.

From a technical perspective there's no reason POP3 shouldn't work. I will not redirect you to more documentation, but below I will post the settings that should allow POP3 to be succesful on your machine. Also, to be aware, some AV software, including Norton/Symantec can have settings that interfere with receiving POP3 email. Make sure that any AV software is configured to allow normal email flow.

Incoming:

Server: mail.comcast.net
Port: 995 (SSL On)

Outgoing:

Server: smtp.comcast.net
Port: 465 (SSL On)

Outgoing Server Requires authentication: Checked
Leave copy of messages on server: Checked (depending on usage scenario)

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

wpleasant wrote:

...So why would three different computers, 2 with Outlook 2007 and one with 2003, stop receiving via POP3 at exactly the same time...

Hello, wpleasant -- If you look back to where I started this thread, you will see that the POP3 server occasionally goes down (in my area at least). That would certainly affect all of your devices simultaneously.

I know it's frustrating to receive the run-around from telephone or chat support.  (I do all the time.)  Although ComcastBrett is being very helpful here, he probably can't address the local-server issue. -- JCW17

Frequent Visitor

I have tried these settings and still no outgoing email. I have checked Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) and  the outgoing server has password set and Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA) checked for Outgoing Server. I Comcast would provide a migration to IMAP that preserved the existing emails form years of using POP3 I would have no problem converting. I just need a working email system.

Silver Problem Solver

With POP, all your mail is local to your copy of Outlook. I'm not sure about Outlook, but with Thunderbird, IMAP accounts each have their own database that cannot be mixed with others (you can configure POP to store all mail in a common database.) One workaround would be to create an IMAP version, then slowly copy or move the mail from your POP database to your IMAP. As you copy them over, Outlook will upload them to Comcast's servers. Before doing that, do make a backup copy of the PST file for the POP account, just in case.

I'm not sure what the current database size limit is for Comcast.

Contributor

andyross wrote:

...I'm not sure about Outlook, but with Thunderbird, IMAP accounts each have their own database that cannot be mixed with others (you can configure POP to store all mail in a common database.)...

Well that sounds like another nail in the IMAP coffin as far as I'm concerned!  I have at least 4 different mail accounts.  I can't be bothered with searching each one individually for some message -- something I do every day in my single database.  (With Outlook, you can have a column in your inbox telling you from which POP3 account it came.) -- JCW17

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation