Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Outlook is Stuck

New Poster

Outlook is Stuck

Unable to delete email from any file in Outlook; All deleted messages have disappeared from "deleted file" and only a blue screen is visible with a message stating "deleted items cannot be displayed".  I keep getting message "the file c:\users\owner\," etc. is in use and cannot be accessed.  Close any application that is using this file and try again" whenever I try to delete anything.  I now have over 1900 emails waiting and it's not getting any better.  No other application or file is open.  Can you tell me how to resolve this issue?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Outlook is Stuck

Which version of Outlook?  Is the email set to IMAP or POP3?

New Poster

How do I find this out?  It's Windows 7 but that's all I know

New Poster

ok - It's POP3.  Hurray for me - I found it!

Bronze Problem Solver

You don't know if it is Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 or 2013?  

You might have a corrupt PST file that can be repaired.  Or it may still be open and causing the issue when you try running outlook.

Hit CTRL ALT DEL and bring up task master with Outlook not running.  Look for outlook processes running and kill them if they are.

You can also try running Outlook in safemode to see if it runs that way or you still have the same problem.

To run in safe mode.....Press WINDOWS KEY and R in the box that comes up type outlook /safe

I assume you already tried rebooting the computer and have the same issue?

New Poster

The only thing running in task manager was PC dock and Explorer.  I did close PC Dock, but of course that didn't make a difference. 

I tried the outlook/safe idea but just got a bing and a big red x telling me windows could not find "outlook/safe" - and that I should make sure I am typing it correctly. I tried it 3 times - same result.

I have restarted my computer many times since Wednesday since this problem began.

Do you think I should call the geek people?

Service Expert

Try again.  There is a space you're leaving out.  outlook /safe  [outlook(space)/safe]

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

First since it is POP3 you should run the Office inbox repair tool with Outlook closed to see if that will fix your issue.

Where the tool is located on your computer depends on the version of Office you are using.

This file is named Scanpst.exe and is located in different places on the computer depending on the verision of MS office.   Can't tell you where without knowing your version of office.   But you can search your computer for the file and run it as administrator.  

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation