Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Outlook 2013 wont send messages with attachments. Tech support is worthless!

New Poster

Outlook 2013 wont send messages with attachments. Tech support is worthless!

I am not using web based email, but my Outlook 2013 with Windows 7. I have tried changing port numbers (993/587) and It was working fine before. Now, though testing th eaccount in MS Outlook shows everythign working fine and the sent itmes show the email being sent. But no one receives  anything with an attachment. I need my email for work. What is wrong with Comcast these days? I have been on and off the phone with comcast over the past month for hours. They are so freaking daft and cannot understand anything. Anyone out there that can assist me? After changing from POp server this started happening.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Outlook 2013 wont send messages with attachments. Tech support is worthless!

What type of file is it.   Outlook and Comcast block some files with certain extensions.

New Poster

Re: Outlook 2013 wont send messages with attachments. Tech support is worthless!

A simple PDF. No huge files either,. Even a simple 5 mg file from MS Outlook. I refuse to use the crappy web based interface.

This is crazy and I have used comcast with Outlook for over 10 years and this past 6 months it has been so bad that I am ready to call it quits forever with comcast. It works then it stops working, But I am in the legal profession and attachment docs is everythign in my job., This could casue me to be fired. I have tried all 3 of my comcast email addresses and none of them work.

New Poster

Thank you for asking BTW.... I am trying to transmit a simple lawsuit to be served and cannot get it to the process server. It is less than 5 MG too.... This also happened last month. I have to send documents to counsel for review before filing and they do not get the email at all.

Bronze Problem Solver

Yeah seems that should go with no problem.   I can make a work around suggestion for you that might get you going until you can figure it out or comcast does for you.

If you have a gmail account use it to send mail instead of the Comcast smtp server.  You can change in outlook just the outgoing server to use gmail with your gmail password and username.  When received the return address on mail sent that way would still be your xfinity email address.

If you don't have a gmail account you can open one free.

I searched on the web for PDF not sending in Outlook and found some places saying that Norton antivirus was blocking it.   Do you use norton? 

New Poster

My Dear: that is no work around but merely changing email addresses.. I am not doing that. I hate gmail and hotrmail as they are lame and for stupid people. Plus court documents from the clerk are difficult to deal with and have to be downloaded etc. then saved. Too many steps with my heavy caseload. I dont have time to mess with hotmail. That is so 1990's. lol Smiley Happy

New Poster

This is on Comcast's end for sure. I do not use NORTON and I also searched online and posted here in desperation. I use windows 7 Pro and MS 2013 Office, and after Comcast's change over to IMAP from POP mail, which worked fine (for many years) we have these issues and it is certainly not just me as evidenced by the google posts I am seeing all over the net.

Service Expert

Why are you using residential services for business emails?

FWIW, Gmail is not so "1990's" as you say.  It works with Outlook 2013 with both POP3 and IMAP.  It's far more reliable than Comcast.

Also, FWIW, you can still use POP3.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

You wouldn't be using the GMAIL interface just using their server in outlook to send mail....Nothing flakey about that at all. Nor would you be changing email addresses.  It would not change the way you work now.

I just tried sending myself some pdf files thru outlook 2010 to an email address outside of comcast and here is what happened.

I tried several with 2 different outside of comcast email address sent from comcast thru outlook 2010 imap.

One PDF I sent was 1 mb another 3 mb and another 9 mb.

They were all received on the other email addresses. 

Is there a chance that the problem could be on the receiving end?  Mailbox full or too large for that end?

Gold Problem Solver

I would call the Security Assurrance Department and ask them for help.

1-888-565-4329

7 days a week- 6AM to 2PM

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

You are amazingly helpful!!! Thank you for being you!! But that is not itas to recipients

Too many people this is happening with. I re-read your post about gmail and iI missed the part about using my same email address but w/ gmail as outgoing mail server. I just hate having to do that and frankly it seems wrong for comcast to force that on customers. The thing is that I was using the same set up with MS Outlook 2013 and Comcast POP 3 mail set up with windows 7 for 2 years without issues until their switch to IMAP. It is bad business. That is a fact.

Thank you so much !!! You are very wonderful. I wish I could just resolve this without having to go to another company to use thier mail server.

New Poster

Gmail is not very professional to use though as a mail service. We laugh at any professional with @gmail after their name. I can see using if for personal stuff but not legal correspondence, etc..  But i can see that I am beiig forced to use gmail for my outgoing mail server settings. Also I may try going back to pop3, but comcast support did not recommend that the last time this happened to me, less than 2 weeks ago.

New Poster

I work from home is why I am using residential services. I am apart time employee not a business.

New Poster

I will soon have no job if this keeps up.

Service Expert

My two questions remain:

Why are you using residential mail for business?  [You get much better support help with business, btw.]

Have you tried switching back to POP3?  I POP my comcast email with no problems.  IMAP is an option, not a requirement.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Are you telling me that comcast can dictate that if I am sending mail as a part of my job from home that it cannot be done with my personal email? What is that all about? How about people selling on ebay? they cannot get customer inquiries on their personal email without being punished? Now i feel that it is intentional on comcast's end by what you just said. I am  part time employee working from my home after an injury. So I cannot even do that ?Tell me you are kidding!!!! That is insane.

New Poster

Ok so I have to get business email for my home email address? With no home phone or any business of my own as a part time employee? WHOOOOOOOAAAAA~!

Service Expert

You say you're "in the legal profession", and you're working part time from home.  Does that mean you're working for an attorney's office if you're sending them a lawsuit for review?  If so, don't they have their own server with email addresses?  [I'm just asking, because a lot of attorney's offices have their own servers and email addresses.]

You may laugh and scoff at businesses that use Gmail, but there are hundreds of thousands that use Gmail for their addresses.  Google is not just a sneeze of a business model, nevermind their mail servers are extremely reliable.  But, it's not an opinion that is shared, apparently.  Also, Gmail offers business email.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

You need to calm down.  I asked a question of you without knowing you were working from home.  OR that you had an injury. OR that it's part time. Nevermind that we're posting replies at the same time.  I'm trying to help, not antagonize you.

You might want to try the POP3 settings again.  But, you don't have to.  It's a suggestion.  Feel free to continue to over-react and not try any suggestions offered by keffington, CCCarole, or myself.  If this happened two weeks ago, I would think you would want to try alternatives.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

The atty uses gmail and hotmail and it is attrocious with attachments from court. And no, I am a part timer 3 days per week and was tryng to forward a suit to a process server less than 3 MG. Some attachment sent from court like a summons is a TIFF file and what a pain using gmail for that. It takes 3 steps to retrive the document. Plus if I have to use gmail why do I need comcast? Other than for cable and tv is not big for me. I am not big on watching anything and dont watch movies on the web or anything.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation