Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Old sent email lost upon switch to IMAP.

New Poster

Old sent email lost upon switch to IMAP.

On 22 December 15 I got the comcast email with subject line "We're working to make your email experience better".  That message encouraged me to switch from POP to IMAP.  I did so, I believe on 4 Jan 16.  In the interest of being able to access my email (sent and inbox) across devices, I uploaded 13 years worth of sent / inbox info.   I did not realize that I had to select a sent deletion period in my account.  30 days was the default.   An online chat Comcast technician told me that the 30 days is counted from the sent date - not the date where I copied the info to my IMAP.    My understanding is that the old sent files that I uploaded (all the way back to 2003) were then instantly deleted as I moved them from my computer to the IMAP server.   In following the "how to" information in the 22 Dec 15 message from Comcast, I do not recall any warning for such a scenario.     The Comcast chat tech support person says they can only recover 30 days worth of email.   While I copied the old sent messages to the IMAP server less than 30 days ago, the fact that they are old messages apparently puts them outside of the 30 day window.

Email Expert

Re: Old sent email lost upon switch to IMAP.

What email desktop client are you using?  Just switching from POP to IMAP would not wipe out any emails you had on the server, or in the client.  Were you backing up your client program on an external hard drive?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Old sent email lost upon switch to IMAP.

Hi.  I'm using Outlook 2013.  I moved the emails from the old POP-associated folders to the IMAP folders (the local pst file was reflects the change).      I've recovered a good bit of my sent messages from a backed-up *.pst file.  Unfortunately, the back up was done in 2014.  So now I'm missing over a year of sent messages.  Admittedly, that's way better than 13 years, but I remain frustrated about the circumstances.     Again, I copied the messages up to the IMAP server less than 30 days ago.  However, as they were old old emails, the messages were apparently deleted as being outside of the "save for 30 day" window.    It seems that the Comcast folks have no recourse.  Thanks.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation