New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Official Notice: Receiving email may be delayed 5/15/2016

ANSWERED
Official Employee

Official Notice: Receiving email may be delayed 5/15/2016

Overview:

We are currently experiencing an issue which is causing a significant delay in receiving email. This is not a good thing and we are very aware of the problem and are working hard to restore it.  

Technical description for those who are interested:

A problem on a couple of the network switches caused our blob storage to get into a bad state. Lots of peering errors etc, this coupled with a bug in the blob storage vendors software is prolonging resolution. We have an incident bridge going with the team and the developers. 

We know this is not good experience for you and apologize (really we are sorry), 

- The Xfinity Connect Team

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Accepted Solution

Re: Official Notice: Receiving email may be delayed 5/15/2016

Update:

As of this morning, new mail should be sending normally and over 95% of the backlog has been cleared. By the time you read this, it may even be cleared. It's been a long hard battle, but it it looks like the bell has rung.

Technical Explanation:

Nothing more technically, just the time it takes to finish pushing all the messages through.

Our goal is to provide you the best possible email experience, and I know that isn't what happened in this case. I'm sorry for that. We are working hard to make sure that all the pieces are in place so that you don't have this experience again in the future.

Thank you.

- Comcast Brett and The Xfinity Connect Team

View answer in context
Official Employee

Update: 

Although the problem is resolved there is still a large backlog of messages. We still have all your email and will deliver it, but it will take time to get through this huge queue of emails. 

Technical explanation:

This is a straight forward one, the queue is huge we were up to something like 60 million, and we prioritize new email so it doesn't get delayed as well. We added more connections to the back end servers so they could take on more mail and added more capacity to the some of the message storage components. This is a fine balance, we want to make sure we don't take up so many resources on mail deposit that we aren't able to service reads.   Make sense ? 

Ugh what a long day for us and you, but it is important that we get email back in your hands! 

- Xfinity Connect Team 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Update:

We had the problem resolved. We really did. But then... it fought back. The problem is continuing to delay your mail. This is not acceptable to us and we are fighting back even harder to get your mail delivered on time.

Technical explanation:

Right now I don't have any new technical information to give you, but I can promise you that anyone who has any sleeves to roll up to work on this thing, has them rolled up and IS working on this thing.

Let me be clear. I am sorry. We are sorry. This is not the service level or experience we want to provide to you, our customers, and we are doing everything we can right now to change that. We will keep you updated as soon as we have any news.

-Comcast Brett and The Xfinity Connect Team

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Update:

At this time, delays for new emails should be significantly shorter. With few exceptions, we should be delivering your mail within normal timeframes, although we still have a large backlog of older messages we are working on delivering.

Technical Explanation:

We have made several architecture changes to prioritize the new email messages. This, however, has an adverse impact of slowing down the delivery of the large backlog. We will ramp up the backlog delivery through the night to help with the draining process.

This is a heavyweight fight to be sure, and it isn't completely over, but like that other famous fighter from Philadelphia, we don't quit until we've won. Thank you, for your patience and understanding. I know how frustrating something like this is, and that's why we are throwing everything we have against this.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Update:

As of this morning, new mail should be sending normally and over 95% of the backlog has been cleared. By the time you read this, it may even be cleared. It's been a long hard battle, but it it looks like the bell has rung.

Technical Explanation:

Nothing more technically, just the time it takes to finish pushing all the messages through.

Our goal is to provide you the best possible email experience, and I know that isn't what happened in this case. I'm sorry for that. We are working hard to make sure that all the pieces are in place so that you don't have this experience again in the future.

Thank you.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 2 in conversation