Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New Thunderbird problem

Frequent Visitor

New Thunderbird problem

Hi,

I'm having trouble sending email through smpt.comcast.net. It receives fine but won't send.   It's been working fine for over a decade but recently has become first sporadic then non-functional.  I'm trying to send email through Thunderbird on a win7 machine that has sent thousands of emails in the past.   Now I'm getting the following message when I send...

"An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  resomta-ch2-09v.sys.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support."

That message says to me that there is a problem with the comcast server.  The only way I can send email now is to log into comcast.net with a browser and use the web email interface,  but that is too painfully slow.  I'd really like to get my enail client to work with Comcast again.

This is the latest Thunderbirdset to server: smtp.comcast.net, port: 465, normal password, security: SSL/TLS,  correct user name.  This was all working fine.

Thanks,

Bill
Frequent Visitor

Re: New Thunderbird problem

That problem just went away a couple of days after that last post and all was working fine for a few months.  Now I started getting the same message again...

"An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: resomta-po-09v.sys.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support."

...and I can no longer send email.  I can recieve it just fine though.  Thoughts?      Anyone?   

Thanks,

Bill

Official Employee

Hi bshaw7, have you tried the port number 587 with SSL selected? If you wouldn't mind could you please test this and let me know if you see a difference? 

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply, Phil.  I get the same result with port 587,  "please contact support"

Bill

Frequent Visitor

Capturing the transaction in Wireshark,  I see a standard TCP handshake - syn - syn/ack - ack - immediately followed by a SMTP server message:

"Response: 421 resomta-po-07v.sys.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support\r\n"

Am I trying to talk to the wrong server for some reason?  Did Comcast take that server down for some reason? .

Best,

Bill

Frequent Visitor

Still no fix,  it's still not working.  Is anyone from Comcast still here?  Phil?  Anyone?

Regular Contributor

I use Thunderbird, and it seems to be working fine.  Here's what I'm using for outgoing mail:

Server:  smtp.comcast.net

Port:  465

Selection Security:  SSL/TLS

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation