Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Need to change types of Networks

Contributor

Need to change types of Networks

I have a desktop connected to the cable modem/router via ethernet.  I also have a laptop connected via WiFi.   The Laptop is a "Private Network" and the desltop is a "Home Network".  I am not sure when the laptop network was changed to Private - it was not done by me.  I have been unable to change it from Private to Home so the LAN can communicate.  I chatted with a Comcast Tech and she could not understand why I wanted my computers to communicate with each other!!

When I look at the Network Types on the Laptop, the words "Private Network" are not hyperlinks, just words. So I cannot change them.  

How can I change the Private network to a Home Network?

Thanks!

Larry

Regular Contributor

Re: Need to change types of Networks

Even though this page/link if for Windows 7 or Vista.. The settings will be similar to what's needed to readjust your networks. I would sugegst that you search your device manager for any lan/wan decives loading more than once.. Also, if you've upgraded to Win10, they've added a new wifi/wireless option within your computer, again only if your computer is setup this way. I've disabled the wan, wifi and wireless devices on your system just to verify where the issue is.. then systematiclly reopen those devices you need to have the correct network.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/choosing-network-location#1TC=windows-7

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation