Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

My computer installed microsoft edge without me knowing and all my document and picture files are gone. I believe that you back up my files?

New Poster

My computer installed microsoft edge without me knowing and all my document and picture files are gone. I believe that you back up my files?

This morning my computer installed mircosoft edge. When I went in , all my documents and picture files were gone, and everything is a mess. My favorites are gone. What to do?

Security Expert

Re: My computer installed microsoft edge without me knowing and all my document and picture files are gone. I believe that you back up my fi

Perhaps Windows 10 Forum can assist you - don't think it is a Norton Security Suite situation.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: My computer installed microsoft edge without me knowing and all my document and picture files are gone. I believe that you back up my fi

Edge did not install on its own. It is a component of Windows 10.

You do not have to use Edge.

Whatever browser you used before, you can still use. If you have a shortcut icon to the browser on your desktop simply click it.

If not shortcut is on your desktop all you have to do is put one there.

You will need to find the preferred browser in order to do that.

You can search your computer for the browser, find the Application, right click and choose Send to: Desktop.

Example: Internet Explorer will is named iexplore. Type Application. (you can change the icon name once it is on your desktop)

Next you will need to set that browser as the default.

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/Set program access and computer defaults.

Click Custom, tick the box next to the preferred browser name.

If your install of Windows 10 is a clean install, you will need to download and install other browsers such as Firefox or Chrome.

Click OK.

Now a question for you: is Windows 10 a clean install or an upgrade from a different version of Windows?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation