Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Mac email

Frequent Visitor

Mac email

I have tried MANY times to set up an email account on my Mac (Yosemite).  I have gone through the exercise with a "live agent" many times, and they all walk me through the same little notebook that they have in front of them.  I have copied all the info on their site that I can find, and I still can't get my comcast email account to work on my Mac.  It continues to "say" that it cannot connect to the server.........I have given up all hope with Comcast people, and I'm now turning to this support group.....and help greatly appreciated

Email Expert

Re: Mac email

Most Comcast "Live Agents" are not Mac people.  AFAIK, Mail is still auto-detecting Comcast accounts as POP3.  But Comcast is now IMAP compliant, and they no longer recommend using POP3.  Were you trying to let Mail auto-configure the account for you?  You have to "trick" Mail during the set-up process.  When you get to the field where it asks you to put in the password, type in anything but the real password-------any jibberish will do as long as it's not correct.   When you hit Continue, a few seconds later it will ask you to configure the account manually.  Then go ahead and put in all the information from here-----------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

I have three Comcast email accounts set up in Mail---------they work just fine.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry, but this did not work for me.  This has turned out to be an extremely frustrating issue.  

Frequent Visitor

No, I wasn't going for the auto detect.  I have followed all of the instructions that I have been given "to the letter", but the problem is with outgoing mail server.  I can receive mail alright, but can't send using mac mail.

I am NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I really thought that I could manage something this "simple."

Apparently not.

Email Expert

Are you trying to set it up as POP3 or IMAP?  What outgoing port name and number are you showing?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

IMAP......smtp.comcast.net......465........password authentication.....SSL

Frequent Visitor

I can get mail with no problem....just can't send.....it says that it cannot connect to outgoing mail server

Frequent Visitor

I have updated Yosemite OS on my Mac Mini

Email Expert

I am also running Yosemite on an iMac.  Change the outgoing port to 587;  that's what all my Comcast IMAP accounts are set at and I'm not having any issue with sending.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Well, I have tried everything that has been suggested, but to no avail.  I hate to say it, but I give up.  Comcast has done NOTHING to help me with this issue, and I am seriously considering going to another ISP.  It's a shame that these big companies buy out the smaller one, and then the service disappears.  Thanks to all who have replied.....I appreciate it.

Frequent Visitor

My email account just starting working!!!  Don't ask me how or why, but it IS!!  I did delete all of the non-working outgoing servers, and started the whole process from beginning.  This time, all I had to do was enter my correct email password...........then choose the only comcast.net server that I had....and it worked.  This has probably been my fault from day one.  As I said earlier, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.....thanks to all....

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation