Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Lost comcast email when I used Mail.

New Poster

Lost comcast email when I used Mail.

I set up Mail using comcast IMAP. My preferences stated to leave all mail on the server; regardless. However, when I deleted emails from Mail, they didn't remain on the Comcast server or in trash or deleted mail. How can I find my emails? 

S

Email Expert

Re: Lost comcast email when I used Mail.

With IMAP everything is synced-----if you delete an email in one place, it's deleted everywhere else the account is enabled.  There is no setting in Mail using IMAP to keep messages on the server---it's the default.  The setting is available if you are using POP3 though.  The difference is that POP is not synced, and only works on the Inbox folder.  So if you don't use that setting, it will download the messages and then delete them from the server by default.

But anything you delete using either protocol should be in the Trash folder.  As a test, go to the Comcast webmail UI, and go to the Inbox page.  Right-click on the Trash folder and then on "Recover Deleted Items".  Do you see any of the emails in question in there?  It takes 24-48 hours for a message to appear in there after you delete it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you. Your reply was very helpful. I'd somewhere not to use POP because emails can get lost. That's why I did IMAP - not realizing it wiped my server clean of email. I have check comcast webmail for my deleted emails. All I see are Sept. 15 and older :-(.  However; it's only been about 11 hours since I deleted my emails. What advice do you have for gmail? 

Thanks 

Email Expert

Did you delete the POP3 version of the account in Mail before you created it again with IMAP?  If so that's how the emails went missing.  All you had to do was set up the account in IMAP, and it would "see" anything you had on the server and duplicate all your folders and the messages in them.  At that point you could go back into Mail and delete the POP account if you wanted to.  They are two separate versions of the same account.  Are you running Time Machine on a back-up hard drive?  If so, you can just go back and restore Mail to just before you lost the emails in question.

Gmail is a very good webmail program.  I have two accounts with them myself.  It has some of the abilities of a real client like Mail or Thunderbird etc.  Gmail is unusual in that it doesn't really use the traditional "folders" concept, even though it appears to.  What you are doing instead is leaving the email in one place and then assigning different labels to it.  An email in your Gmail account can have any number of "labels" assigned to it at any time.  The concept takes a little getting used to.  They also supposedly have the best spam filtering system of all the free email providers.  It's certainly worth setting up an account and playing around with it to see if it suits you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation