Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

It must be me - TBird and Comcast not playing together

Regular Visitor

It must be me - TBird and Comcast not playing together

I have read, re-read and completed all the steps relative to re-establshing up my Thunderbird (PC crash) as a Comcast email client. Nothing seems to work. I'm on the most current release of Thunderbird - 31.4.0 and the best I can do is get the message "Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?" If I delete the password contents, the message returned is "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account".

Here are my settings:

POP3, mail.comcast.net, port 995, SSL/TLS, normal password

SMTP, smtp.comcast.net, port 587, STARTTLS, normal password

username is myusername@comcast.net for both sending ans receiving

So what in the world am I doing wrong? It's gotta be me but I've used TBird for years with Comcast and it never failed before.

Thanks in advance

Email Expert

Re: It must be me - TBird and Comcast not playing together

I'm on a Mac.  I assume you are running a Windows machine, but I don't think the OS is relevant to this issue.  I also have Thunderbird v3.3 on the Mac.  So I downloaded v3.4.1, and tried to enter the Comcast account.  It worked using POP3.  But then I deleted it and re-created the account with IMAP, and it's not recognizing the settings.  So my thoughts are that Comcast and Mozilla haven't caught up with each other in the latest iteration of Thunderbird.  As a precaution, I kept v3.3 instead of replacing it with the newer one so I can still use it if I want to.

Do you still have an older version on your computer you can use until the newer one gets sorted out?  If not, try Windows Live Mail, which is also very good.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I am indeed on a Windows 7 machine (64 bit). The issue is resolved and was due to my Avast antivirus software. Disabling that for the install worked. I am happy as it was driving me mad.

As an aside I noticed in the instruction on Comcast's site there was at least one typo (it says to put imap.comcast.net not smtp.comcast.net).

You may have to specifically request imap access from what I can gather. I'm a pop3 guy.

Email Expert

Comcast is now IMAP compliant, and they no longer recommend using POP, although you certainly can.  imap.comcast.net is for the incoming server;  smtp.comcast.net is for the outgoing server.  And no---you no longer have to sign up for the beta to get imap now.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation