Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Imap messages deleted from server are also being deleted from Outlook 2007 inbox...I am running win 10

ANSWERED
Most Valued Poster

Imap messages deleted from server are also being deleted from Outlook 2007 inbox...I am running win 10

Got a new computer this week with Win 10 installed. Outlook 2007 automatically set me up as IMAP. I  have always been POP3. I was told that POP3 was now the standard and was not supported by Win 10  and a perk was that mail can be shared across devices. Example: delete mail on phone and it deletes from server too.  I called Comcast and they said I could not go back to POP3 with Win 10. SO I decided to try to get used to it but I am losing my mind. I have talked with Comcast techs more than once and still going a little nuts.

First I hate that  with IMAP that I cannot delete a message from my inbox the old fashioned way. I can delete a message from any folder other than the inbox and it goes into the deleted folder but in the inbox when I delete it puts a strike  -through on  deleted messages i. I  can change that behavior and they get deleted but are NOT in the deleted folder...huh? 

Then I ran into a real big problem. I learned that with IMAP messages are left on the server (Comcast webmail in box) unless they are manually deleted. With POP3  as soon as I downloaded they disappeared from webmail inbox and all was well.  NOW with IMAP this does not happen. I went to Comcast webmail to get messages off the server and deleted the messages in my inbox and OMG....they all disappeared from my Outlook 2007 inbox too. I found them in webmail trash and sent them all back to myself and downloaded them into Outook 2007. Then I experimented and deleted one message in the Comcast webmail inbox and YEP....it deleted from Outlook 2007 inbox too. Technician was not really helpful and said that 'can't happen'.  I sure don't want my webmail inbox and server to fil up and up and up....I get a lot of email.  How in the world can I fix this?

Here is what I want to happen:

1. I want to delete any message in Outlook 2007 and have it deleted and go to  the deleted folder

2**** I want to be able to remove messages from the server via webmail in box and NOT have them be removed from my Outlook 2007 inbox.

HELP PLEASE

Accepted Solution

Re: Imap messages deleted from server are also being deleted from Outlook 2007 inbox...I am running win 10

What you are describing is exactly what is supposed to happen with IMAP.  Everything is synced, so that no matter where you do something to an email, it's reflected in the same place everywhere else.  When you talk about the server Inbox as opposed to the Outlook Inbox, think of it this way to make it easier---------------with IMAP, it is all the same Inbox.  Or any other folder for that matter.  Let's say you want to keep something in Outlook, but not on the server.  Move or copy the message to another folder, then go back and delete it from the Inbox if need be.

Does that make more sense to you?  Play around with it and do some experimenting with junk messages or something until you get the feel of it.  For anyone accessing the same email account on more than one device/computer, IMAP really is much more sensible than POP3.  As it is, Comcast was one of the last major email providers to make IMAP available.  Up until about a year ago, I think, the default for Comcast was POP3.

View answer in context
Email Expert

Re: Imap messages deleted from server are also being deleted from Outlook 2007 inbox...I am running win 10

I don't know who you talked to, but you seem to be confused about how the two different email protocols work.  POP3 only works on the Inbox of the account you have enabled with it.  By default, if you use POP, your client (Outlook) will download and then delete the message from the server, unless you manually configure it not to do that.  IMAP is intended for using your account on multiple devices/clients.  So if you delete a message on one, it is deleted on any other you have the account enabled on using IMAP.  Everything is synced.  IMAP supports local folders you create in the account------POP does not.  POP3 is by far the older protocol, and was developed when dial-up and early DSL accounts were common, and most people had only one computer and limited storage space and bandwidth from their ISP.  IMAP is now the default protocol for most email providers, including Comcast.  You should find this of interest-------------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Latoque wrote:

I don't know who you talked to, but you seem to be confused about how the two different email protocols work.  POP3 only works on the Inbox of the account you have enabled with it.  By default, if you use POP, your client (Outlook) will download and then delete the message from the server, unless you manually configure it not to do that.  IMAP is intended for using your account on multiple devices/clients.  So if you delete a message on one, it is deleted on any other you have the account enabled on using IMAP.  Everything is synced.  IMAP supports local folders you create in the account------POP does not.  POP3 is by far the older protocol, and was developed when dial-up and early DSL accounts were common, and most people had only one computer and limited storage space and bandwidth from their ISP.  IMAP is now the default protocol for most email providers, including Comcast.  You should find this of interest-------------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/

Let me begin by saying that I have no need to use IMAP functionality on any of my devices other than my desktop. When I use my phone or tablet which is not often to look at mail it gives me whats on the server as new mail and I can reply/forward,etc and then delete it from my phone and it does not delete anything from the server or my email client Outlook 2007. I am happy with the way that works.

I spoke with more than one Comcast tech on the phone and a couple of things they told me:  I started all conversations with the fact that i just installed new pc with WIN 10 and was told WIN 10 does not support POP3 so I cannot go back which of course is NOT what I wanted to hear. One told me to go back to Win 7...really? All i wanted was for a tech to guide me thru how to get back to POP3 but no matter how many times I ask I got no where fast.

I found that article you pointed me to be  very interesting and I 'get' the mirrow image idea of IMAP across devices but for those of us  who do not need that functionality IMAP creates a mess and I see that in some of the comments in that artible. Doesn't  leaving messages on the server cause Comcast a mess? I don't want to see them on the server once they are downloaded...thats the bottom line for me. 

Based on this excerpt from the link you provided can you help me understand  a couple of things?

IMAP copies; POP3 moves

When IMAP downloads your email, it is copying the email onto your computer. The original email remains in the email server’s master repository of your email; there’s simply a copy of it on your PC for quick and easy access. (Or backup, as we’ll see in a moment.) . When POP3 downloads your email, on the other hand, it moves the email from the email server to your PC. By default, when a download is complete, the email resides only on the PC to which it was downloaded.

This “copy, not move” difference between IMAP and POP3 enable a couple of very interesting things.

I want the move function. i never left mail on the server with XP or  Win 7 and Outllok 2007.   So with the IMAP explanations/logic why when I delete inbox messages from the server are they are also deleted from  Outlook 2007 inbox on my pc but when I 'purge' from Outlook they do not delete from the server. This defies the mirror image across devices doesn't it? Bottom line is that  I want my messages downloaded to Outlook and off the server but left in my Outlook inbox.

Also when I delete messages in my Outlook 2007 inbox I want them to go to deleted folder but IMAP does not do that and I have to jump thru setting hoops to see what is going to be deleted unless I leave them in the inbox with the strikethrough which annoys me when trying to keep my inbox cleaned up. Ironically a message deleted from any Outlook folder other than the inbox goes to the deleted folder..

So let me pick your email brain please:

Can I go back to POP3 using Outlook 2007 and WIn 10 and if so how can I get guidance to do that. I found a guiide at   http://www.msoutlook.info/question/705. It adresses Outlook 2007 so thats good but never mentions Windows versions and after being told by two techs that I cannot go back using Win 10 I hesitate to  try.  I do NOT want to lose my email folders.that reside in Outlook. Not sure if having backup of pst would help as I always back it up weekly.

Lastly if I cannot go back to POP3 with Win 10 would installing a more recent version of Outlook give me option settings  to download  and have the messages removed from the server and not delete them from the Outlook inbox?

Really appreciate your expertize

Terri

Email Expert

OK if I'm reading you correctly, all you basically want to do is use POP3 with your Comcast account on a Windows 10 machine------right? Again I don't know who told you that Windows 10 doesn't support POP-----that is simply not the case.  The POP3 or IMAP protocols are determined by the email account itself, and whatever client you want to put it in, not the operating system of the computer.    I've never used Outlook as I'm on a Mac most of the time, but I do have a Dell latptop with Windows 10.  Comcast email accounts are now IMAP compliant, and that is the default most clients will use to configure the account when you set it up. If Outlook is auto-configuring the account for you, you can re-create it manually using the POP3 settings for Comcast.  Also, I think what happened was that the tech you spoke with was referring to the Windows Mail app that comes bundled with Windows 10.  That, in fact, does not support POP3, only IMAP.  But all the other major desktop programs like Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Windows Live Mail and any others can use POP3.

Thie instructions for how to use POP3 in Outlook 2007 are here-------------

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-outlook-2007-to-use-port-587

The settings you need from Comcast are here-------------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

Keep in mind that your iOS devices will auto-configure the account using IMAP because that is now the default for Comcast accounts, as it is with most major email providers.  But they too can be manually configured to use POP3 if you want to.  Post back if you need the instructions for that.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Latoque wrote:

OK if I'm reading you correctly, all you basically want to do is use POP3 with your Comcast account on a Windows 10 machine------right? Again I don't know who told you that Windows 10 doesn't support POP-----that is simply not the case.  The POP3 or IMAP protocols are determined by the email account itself, and whatever client you want to put it in, not the operating system of the computer.    I've never used Outlook as I'm on a Mac most of the time, but I do have a Dell latptop with Windows 10.  Comcast email accounts are now IMAP compliant, and that is the default most clients will use to configure the account when you set it up. If Outlook is auto-configuring the account for you, you can re-create it manually using the POP3 settings for Comcast.  Also, I think what happened was that the tech you spoke with was referring to the Windows Mail app that comes bundled with Windows 10.  That, in fact, does not support POP3, only IMAP.  But all the other major desktop programs like Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Windows Live Mail and any others can use POP3.

This video shows how if you need it---------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTudk_4aSv8

The settings you need from Comcast are here-------------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

Keep in mind that your iOS devices will auto-configure the account using IMAP because that is now the default for Comcast accounts, as it is with most major email providers.  But they too can be manually configured to use POP3 if you want to.  Post back if you need the instructions for that.

------

thank you thank you thank you. I hope I can get to the POP3 settings page to do it manually because when I tried that when I first used Win 10 and loaded Outlook 2007 the only manual option it gave me was for a WAN and I knew that was wrong so I had to revert to allowing it to configure mail for me and thats when IMAP reared its ugly head as thats what it  configured for Outlook.

Most Valued Poster

Latoque,

On my WIn 10 desktop I am now running Office 2016 which in includes Outlook 2016.  My intention was to use your instructions and set up my acct as  POP3 but when it opened for the first time my .pst files were imported automatically AND it was already configured for IMAP. Strange but true. Yes I had already removed Office 2007 which included Outlook 2007. I was surprised that happened.

So I have decided to go with the flow and deal with IMAP but I am totally perplexed as to why when I remove mail item from my Comcast webmail in box it deletes it from my Outlook IMAP inbox too.  This was happening with Outlook 2007 also. Can you help me understand why this is happening.  I don't want my messages stored on the server after I download them to Outlook but have resigned myself to the fact that with IMAP there is no way to do this BUT I sure don't want the server to keep all my messages after I download so how in the world am I going to get them off the server without removing them from my Outlook IMAP inbox. This is really bothering me.

Thanks

Terri

Email Expert

What you are describing is exactly what is supposed to happen with IMAP.  Everything is synced, so that no matter where you do something to an email, it's reflected in the same place everywhere else.  When you talk about the server Inbox as opposed to the Outlook Inbox, think of it this way to make it easier---------------with IMAP, it is all the same Inbox.  Or any other folder for that matter.  Let's say you want to keep something in Outlook, but not on the server.  Move or copy the message to another folder, then go back and delete it from the Inbox if need be.

Does that make more sense to you?  Play around with it and do some experimenting with junk messages or something until you get the feel of it.  For anyone accessing the same email account on more than one device/computer, IMAP really is much more sensible than POP3.  As it is, Comcast was one of the last major email providers to make IMAP available.  Up until about a year ago, I think, the default for Comcast was POP3.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Latoque wrote:

-

Yes that makes sense for the way IMAP is supposed to work and I played around and I will have to learn to live with it. I am just not used to having email sitting on the server wasting my storage space. I do keep my Outlook inbox as clean as possible!

Thanks so much once again

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation