Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

IMAP

New Poster

IMAP

Two questions about changing from POP to IMAP:

1) Do I need to add this new account on each device from which I use email? I think the answer is yes; just want to be sure.

2) How do I copy email and folders from POP to IMAP, as the instructions tell you to do? (Sub-question - do I need to do that on each device also?)

Thanks

Email Expert

Re: IMAP

I don't know what "instructions" you saw, but when you configure the account on each device, they will auto-detect any folders you have set up and they should all show up on each one.  And yes, you need to congfigure the account on each device with the IMAP settings.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

How long is IMAP email retained?  I ask because I have been using the POP approach to download my email to my PC where it is permanently stored. Will IMAP email have the same retention? 

A related question is if I decide to keep my POP account open, can I choose the POP setting in my client email software (OUTLOOK 365) to NOT leave the mail on the server?   Or do I need to leave it on the server to be used by the IMAP approach.

Thanks for the assistance.

Timmer

Email Expert

The retention settings should work the same with IMAP as they do in POP3.  The mail client or app in question takes precedence over your Comcast settings.

As  for running POP3 and IMAP versions of the same account in paralell-------------keep in mind that if you let the POP version download the emails, then by default it will also delete them from the server.  That means that there will be nothing for the IMAP version to "see".  So yes, if you want to keep both then you would have to set the POP3 version to keep a copy on the server.

POP3 only works on the Inbox folder.  IMAP works on all your folders including local ones you create.  I can't think of any good reason to have both versions of the same account, and I usually advise people who ask me about  it not to do that because it can cause a lot of confusion.  POP moves the email from the server to your computer.  IMAP leaves the original on the server and what you see then are copies in all the folders on the computer.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the clear explanation to my original questions. 
If I go completely to IMAP and move all of my PC retained POP email to the corresponding folders in IMAP on my PC (a few hundred) what is the maximum amount of individual IMAP email storage on the Comcast servers?
I ask this as  I recall that there was a maximum and that was why I downloaded it to my PC.
Email Expert

You don't need to "move" anything unless you have folders in the POP3 account in your email client that are not also in the webmail interface.  When you set the account up using IMAP, the client will "see" whatever you have in the account itself.  If you like, do nothing with the POP version, and just go ahead and enable the IMAP version.  You will see what I mean.  Then once you are satisfied all is right, you can go back and delete the POP3 version if you like.  Or if you like to play it safe, just disable the POP one for a while in your client and see how it goes with the IMAP.

As for storage, the total  limit with a Comcast residential account is 10 Gb.  That is an awful lot of emails.  Just keep in mind that the total includes not only the body of an email, but also the headers and any attachments.  We had one poster in here a few months ago who said he had 500,000 emails in his Comcast account!  Don't forget that this would include the Inbox, Sent and I think the Draft folders, in addition to any local folders you create.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I'll check my PST file size to see how large it is and report back.  It's not trivial.  
I use a tree structure to managing my email.  Mail is not classified on the POP server but once it is downloaded, I have rules (hundreds) that move the email to the proper folder.  For example one folder is Vendors and under that folder are 20 or 30 specific vendors (Comast being one).  For some of those vendors I delete the messages as I read them, others may get read and retained, and others may get deleted without even being read.
In moving to IMAP, I would have to recreate my folders under the PC's Outlook IMAP account and then recreate the rules to move the IMAP email to its proper folder.  The rules are too extensive to be done on the Comcast server.
I do like the IMAP approach because I read Mail on multiple devices and keeping it all coordinated is a challenge.
Thanks again for the dialogue.
Frequent Visitor

My main PST file is 1.44GB and I have 6.22GB in my archive PST file.  So I should be good to go on the IMAP side as the PST file would be stored on my PC and not remain on the server.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation