Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

IMAP, timeout, outgoing mail not saved in Sent folder

Customer Expert

IMAP, timeout, outgoing mail not saved in Sent folder

Several weeks ago, I switched my Comcast mail from POP to IMAP. In Mac Mail and on iPhone, I disabled the POP account. I created a new IMAP account and had it leave messages on the server. 

For the most part, this works beautifully. I can see sent mail on both devices as well as online. I can delete things once.

But it doesn't ALWAYS work. Sometimes, messages I send from Mac Mail do not get recorded in the sent folder even though they do get tp the recipient. Sometimes I notice the message lingering in the Outbox and can click on the Outbox and copy the text or add myself as a BCC. But many times I compose a long message to someone, send it, and don't have a copy. This happened this morning for a message to a group where I really wanted that collection of 20 recipients for a series of messages I'll need to send over the next several weeks. But it has also happened sending to one person.

Also this morning, I tried to delete a message and got this pop-up:

TrashTimeout.jpg

It is acting as though the Comcast IMAP server is not responding quickly enough and Mac Mail doesn't handle it well. Many times, Mail doesn't launch cleanly, and I need to restart it.

I am a longtime Mac user. I did not have these problems when I was using the POP mail. Granted, the sent mail was being stored locally. I don't have this problem with my gmail IMAP account, but I don't use it as much as I do my Comcast account.

When I first noticed the problem, I read that I might need to connect my sent folder to a new folder. I did that but it didn't help.

This is really frustrating because mail has become unreliable. I don't want to go back to POP, but maybe that's what I need to do if IMAP can't be reliable. It needs to just work.

Ideas? I may not reply immediately, I'm camping this weekend.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: IMAP, timeout, outgoing mail not saved in Sent folder

I've been considering migrating my Comcast e-mail account from POP to IMAP, particularly given the issues with El Capitan and POP accounts.

Could you please share with me how you completed the migration from POP to IMAP?

My family also has iPhones and I would like to reconfigure them from POP to IMAP -- was that easy to do?

Does the problem you mentioned must occur frequently enough to cause frustration - do you recommend that I hold off on migrating to IMAP?

Thanks in advance!

Email Expert

While you're waiting for Beth to reply, I use an iPhone and my desktop is an iMac.  iOS and OS X now automatically detect Comcast accounts as IMAP compliant, and when you set the account up they will auto-configure it for you after you enter your name and password etc.  Pretty easy really.  I also use Mac Mail, and I have not encountered the problem Beth is having.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Customer Expert

I've been busy. I'm sad no one else has experienced this or has ideas for fixing it. Whenever I need to send something I really want a record of, I include myself on the blind carbon copy.

Overall, I am happy using IMAP and only handling messages once on iPhone or Mac.

I don't know how frequently it happens. Of the past three short emails I sent in the past 15 minutes, two were saved in the Sent folder and one was not. As far as I can tell, my reply is missing. Mac Mail does show that I replied, but the reply is not on my Mac or the email server.

I'll keep experimenting with solutions like moving most of the sent messages out of the Sent folder. Maybe something was corrupted there.

-----------------------

To switch on my iPhone, I went to settings and mail and turned off my Comcast POP account. Then I created a new one that defaulted to IMAP. It just works.

On my Mac, I disabled the POP account. I made sure I had a backup of the mail files. I think I moved everything in my Comcast POP inbox into a folder before disabling. Then I created a new IMAP account. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'll attempt to change from POP to IMAp as well.

Thanks again!

Frequent Visitor

BethKatz, I've been experiencing a similar problem and the message you get is much more helpful than what I get.

My computer is a Windows 7 x64 system and I am using Thunderbird to access my email. I see a 30 second delay from when I click 'Send' to when the email is saved in the sent folder. I also see a delay when I click the inbox in one account to another.

I'm a computer expert and have analyzed the communication between my computer and Comcast. The issue is with the Comcast servers timing out and not responding to the client on the device or computer. The client then has to time out and re-establish a new connection to the Comcast servers. This behavior does not occur when using GMail or Yahoo! Mail.

To verfiy if this is the same problem do this: On the iPhone, stop the mail app and make sure the app is not running in the background. Restart the app and try sending an email immediately after restarting the mail application.  The save to the send folder should work. Wait 5 minutes or so and send another. If it's the same problem, there will be a delay saving to the sent folder or it will fail as you saw before.

I am just begining the process of banging into walls to try and get an answer for this. But I find it intolerable that Comcast is the only one that seems to have this problem.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation