Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I've been having repeated problems with ESMTP server not available

Frequent Visitor

I've been having repeated problems with ESMTP server not available

My problem is that increasingly I get the server not available temporarily message.  Eventually the email goes through but I have to leave my desktop running all day to guarantee this to happen.  

I've have tried twice to contact xfinity about this and their support has been less than stellar.  

The first person had me add a new IMAP based account which also failed for the exact same error.  The second person had me use the web based email and declared my problem was with my password in outlook which it clearly is not.

I did notice that the ESTMP server is listed as resomta-po-09v.sys.comcast.net, whereas the XFINITY page that specifies the list of ESMTP servers does not list this device.  I'm thinking this may be a DNS problem.  The xfinity box wants to 75.75.75.75 but I think I should change this to 8.8.8.8 and see if the lookup for smtp.comcast.net resolves my problem.

Official Employee

Re: I've been having repeated problems with ESMTP server not available

ajahearn wrote:

My problem is that increasingly I get the server not available temporarily message.  Eventually the email goes through but I have to leave my desktop running all day to guarantee this to happen.  

I've have tried twice to contact xfinity about this and their support has been less than stellar.  

The first person had me add a new IMAP based account which also failed for the exact same error.  The second person had me use the web based email and declared my problem was with my password in outlook which it clearly is not.

I did notice that the ESTMP server is listed as resomta-po-09v.sys.comcast.net, whereas the XFINITY page that specifies the list of ESMTP servers does not list this device.  I'm thinking this may be a DNS problem.  The xfinity box wants to 75.75.75.75 but I think I should change this to 8.8.8.8 and see if the lookup for smtp.comcast.net resolves my problem.

If you are sending outbound, the server name your desktop client should be sending to is smtp.comcast.net

Does that help?

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately no. My outlook does specify smtp.comcast.net. Some server in comcast is forwarding my request to the resomta machine (they have to have multiple machines or mail would come to a stand still). I tried pinging the resomta machine which was very slow to respond but some machines are setup to not respond to ping as they dont want themtied down

The best I can guess here is that some comcast router table is occasionally forwarding my mail to a pathetic server. Last two days it has been fine
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation