Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I need to keep my trash for 1 year. How do I do that?

New Poster

I need to keep my trash for 1 year. How do I do that?

For many years I have kept my trash in my local folder (Thunderbird) for 12 months or more. Occasionally I would go through and delete those that were more than 1 year old. That was very helpful in finding an email that I thought I would never need again but did discover many months later I did need.

Now my trash is removed without my knowledge after about one month !!!!

HELP.  What do I do to keep the trash for at least 12 months?  

Email Expert

Re: I need to keep my trash for 1 year. How do I do that?

If you mean you want to keep them in the Trash folder in the Comcast webmail interface---------you can't.  Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first, and Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  The only way I can think of to keep them longer is to not leave them in there to start with.  As you know you can keep them in a local folder in a client like Thunderbird or some other.  In the webmail, I would create a local folder and move the messages there instead of the Trash folder.  So instead of using the Trashcan icon in the toolbar, you could use the Move icon to send them from the Trash folder or Inbox to the local folder.  Or you can drag and drop them.

You can call the folder "My Trash", or "Trash-2", or "My Junk" or anything else you care to.  Local folders in the webmail have no deletion schedule, nor does the Inbox or Sent and Draft folders.  They should be kept indefinitely by default.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation