Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I just received Spam From My Own Email Address

Regular Visitor

I just received Spam From My Own Email Address

I just received 2 Spam Emails from My Own Email Address, I have gotten stuff like this before but when I click on the sender usually another return Email shows not what it looks like it's from. I hit reply and sure enough this time it came back to my inbox.

This is the Subject:

YOUR $600,000 (SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS ) COMPENSATION.. 05/03/2015

This is the text:

Greetings ,

I contacted you some time ago in respect to the funds transfer of my
deceased client . I want to sincerely thank you for your help
initially although you
backed out thinking that the funds transfer was illegal.
aWell, everything was legal
and legit and went well through the assistance of a Briton, the funds
transfer was a success.

I am on vacation now with my family in United Kingdom. In a way to
appreciate your kind gesture, I have dropped a cashier cheque of Six
Hundred Thousand USD ( $600,000) in your

name instructing my personal accountant Mr. Stephen Edem to pay the
sum to you. This is my little way of saying thank you for your initial help.

You are to contact him (Mr. Stephen Edem) on email

Regards,
ALA OLORUN 05/03/2015 08:40:40

This is the email they tell me to reply to.

steveedem65@qq.com .

I check my sent folder and there is no emails in my sent box. How did I get a SPAM Email where my email was used and when I reply it does reply back to my Email. I usually report spam to SPAM@UCE.GOV but I can't do that with this one because it will look like I am the Spammer. I know I can't block my own Email address and I do use my Email to send stuff to myself so I can save it for later.

Regular Contributor

Re: I just received Spam From My Own Email Address

Is this email account linked from another ( say primary ) account or is it just a stand-alone email account? just curious..

Valued Contributor

Spammers can easily spoof the return address to anything they want it to be.  They assume you never block your own email address.

Email Expert

@ johnro6659----------

Check your Sent folder to see if there are any messages in there you know you did not send.  if there are the account has been compromised, and you need to change the password and the secret question and answer.  Run a scan of your computer with your security software to see if it finds anything.

If the Sent folder looks OK, then most likely it's a spammer "spoofing" your email address.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it once they have the email address, other than wait it out.  Most spammers will use an  address for a week or two and then move on to annoy someone else.  If it persists any longer, try calling Comcast security and ask them to look at the account---------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks, I checked my sent folder first thing and there were no emails sent to myself with the topic. It's possible they could have deleted the sent stuff before I got to it. It hasn't happened since and none of the people in my Address book got any suspicious emails from me so I don't think I was hacked. I still can't figure out how they did it. I am pretty good with a computer I did MIS at my last job and I was the one who set up all the email accounts security for all the PCs. I am a stickler about security I run several programs to protect me from malware, spy ware, trojans, viruses etc. It make my PC run a little slower but it's a small price to pay for security. Of course after I got a spam email from myself I ran everything and nothing came up. It hasn't happened again so I think it might have been a one time think. If it happenes again I will look into even further maybe back up my files and reboot the system.

Email Expert

Assuming it's a case of spoofing, there is nothing you can do to prevent it.  Here is a good article on the subject from a newsletter I subscribe to-------------------

"From" Spoofing

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation