Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

I deleted an email account but it still shows in email folder list.

Frequent Visitor

I deleted an email account but it still shows in email folder list.

I included an email account in my email list.  Later I deleted the email account but it still shows in email folder list. When I go to account set-up, the email account is not there. I cannot get it removed from my email folder list.  When I shut the desktop down, it states that there is still an open folder and cannot shut the computer down.  How do I remove the ghost folder?  Note: the folder does not show on my cell phone or tablet -- it only shows on the desktop email folders.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: I deleted an email account but it still shows in email folder list.

ricx1 wrote:

When you look at the folder directory on the left side of the email page, at the bottom there is underlined:  'Add mail Account.'  When you select it, you are guided through some popups that allow you to enter the email address and other info.  That is how email accounts are added to the email folder list.  

I had to move your other post because it had an email address in the tag.  But now I know what you did.  When you create a secondary address and then delete it, it is indeed gone.  It will no longer function.  However, when you added it to the "Add mail account" section--------that is a separate component that is not directly connected to your "My Account" settings.  It is just a "mail fetcher".  You have to remove it from there via a different path.  On the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page, then on Settings>>>>>>Accounts.  Click on "Accounts".  Now you should see any accounts in the mail fetcher listed underneath the Comcast account you are using.  So look at the test account in question, and to the right you should see a trashcan icon.  Hit that to delete it.

All Replies
Expert

Are you referring to an account you had added in the left pane under "Add mail account"?  Or something else?

Frequent Visitor

I added an account under Account Settings/Users.  I then added it to my email.  later I deleted the account under Account Settings/Users.  The account folder still show in my email, but only on my desktop, not my cell phone or tablet.  If I go to Account Settings/Users and try to reinstate the account, an error message says the account in not available.  When I go to the folder in the email folder list, and right-click on Properties is shows the folder type as 'System'.

When I am in email, I keep getting an error message.  I also get an error message when I shut the desktop down, saying that a folder is still open or in use, which does not allow me to automaticall shut down the system.

Expert

When you say you "added it to my email", exactly what does that mean?  You added a secondary account to what email, where?

Frequent Visitor

When you look at the folder directory on the left side of the email page, at the bottom there is underlined:  'Add mail Account.'  When you select it, you are guided through some popups that allow you to enter the email address and other info.  That is how email accounts are added to the email folder list.  

Expert
Moved:

Moved for email address in tag. Please don't post personal information as these are public forums.

Expert

ricx1 wrote:

I had to move your other post because it had an email address in the tag.  But now I know what you did.  When you create a secondary address and then delete it, it is indeed gone.  It will no longer function.  However, when you added it to the "Add mail account" section--------that is a separate component that is not directly connected to your "My Account" settings.  It is just a "mail fetcher".  You have to remove it from there via a different path.  On the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page, then on Settings>>>>>>Accounts.  Click on "Accounts".  Now you should see any accounts in the mail fetcher listed underneath the Comcast account you are using.  So look at the test account in question, and to the right you should see a trashcan icon.  Hit that to delete it.

Frequent Visitor

Can the screen shot be deleted completely?  I wsa uncomfortable sending it, but it seemed the only way to explain the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. Yes that worked.  I appreciate your help.

Expert

Don't worry about the screenshot.  I moved it to an area not visible to the public.