Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Ethernet Adapter Disabled this morning

Contributor

Ethernet Adapter Disabled this morning

I sat down to browse the web this morning: no connection. I checked the modem....modem was online. I went into Control Panel Network settings. The Network Adapter was disabled. I did not disable it. No one else in my home has a clue where that setting is in a computer. I reactivated and I was  back online. 

Does a Network Adapter become disabled on its own at any given time? This puzzled me.

Service Expert

Re: Ethernet Adapter Disabled this morning

greyeagle54 wrote:

I sat down to browse the web this morning: no connection. I checked the modem....modem was online. I went into Control Panel Network settings. The Network Adapter was disabled. I did not disable it. No one else in my home has a clue where that setting is in a computer. I reactivated and I was  back online. 

Does a Network Adapter become disabled on its own at any given time? This puzzled me.

If the Network Adaptor has issues or it is reset by an overnight update it could do this.  I would look for and try running diagnostics on your network adaptor to see if it is beginning to fail, or if this was a one time occurance.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Connection Expert

greyeagle54 wrote:

I reactivated and I was  back online. 

You "re-activated" what / where exactly ? You stated that you "went into your control panel" so I'm thinking that you meant your computer ?

If you are referring to a network adapter in a computer, no it shouldn't. And nothing that the Comcast system does can manually disable it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

That is exactly what I thought. I don't recall ever seeing this happen before. Yet it happened twice this week. The first time was when I first posted this message. The second was a few minutes ago. I am specifically talking about the ethernet adapter in Network and Internet category in Windows 10. I noticed before I checked this the modem was online. I went into Network and Internet Settings from the Notifications panel on the task bar. I checked the ethernet adapter. Sure enough it was disabled again. I re-enabled and I was back online. 

Very odd.

Contributor

Well, and there have been two Windows updates this week. That could very well explain it. I will run diagnostics on the adapter and see where this leads. Thanks much!

Ken

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation