Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Emails disappearing from Inbox

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Emails disappearing from Inbox

How can I prevent my read emails from disappearing from my inbox.  I have the setting set to "Never" delete, but the oldest email is dated Feb. 11, 2015.  For a while a few months ago, it seemed to be working, but just as suddenly, they started disappearing again.  They do not go to trash--they just go away somewhere.  Changing my preferences doesn't seem to help.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. I should probably mention a few things:  this only occurs on my computer (iMac), not on my phone.  It also does not occur on the apple mail--only on the comcast server.  Email used to work properly up until about a year or so ago, then this problem started.  I do not want to have to make a folder to save everything in to.  I need some emails to be readily available for reference for a time before I delete them manually. Thanks for any help!

Accepted Solution

Re: Emails disappearing from Inbox

Latoque wrote:

Remember that the settings in Apple Mail , or on the phone, will override the settings in Comcast preferences.  Is one of them downloading the emails and then deleting them from the server? (POP3)  Check the settings in both.

Both are set to never delete read emails.  The ones in the apple mail last forever or until I manually delete them.  I'll check the settings again in case there was something I missed.  Thanks for your input!

View answer in context
Email Expert

Remember that the settings in Apple Mail , or on the phone, will override the settings in Comcast preferences.  Is one of them downloading the emails and then deleting them from the server? (POP3)  Check the settings in both.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

On Sunday COMCAST DELETED ALL my emails!!!!! Even new ones . That was 2/15/15. I found them all in my trash. Yesterday 2/17:15 I found all my voicemails are gone in both my iPad and iPhone. GONE!!! Ones I needed, old sentimental ones as well as confirmationpns for Dr appointments!!!
I call and call and call and land in the PHILIPINES where I ask to be transferred to USA business office for my zip code but They don't get me there.
I need my voicemails back that COMCAST XFINITY TRIPLE PLAY has STOLEN from me!!!
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Latoque wrote:

Both are set to never delete read emails.  The ones in the apple mail last forever or until I manually delete them.  I'll check the settings again in case there was something I missed.  Thanks for your input!

Frequent Visitor

My iCloud and Gmail emails weren't touched. Just my Comcast which is my main email as well as used for my Apple ID. I found all my new nit read or received yet emails Sunday I my TRASH folder along with my saved previously read emails. That's right. Sunday's new emails in the trash folder not read. I forwarded 38 new ones and saved ones individually back to my inbox!!! On Monday I discovered all my voicemails that I'd saved, both personal as well as others from the last two to three years were gone!! They still are gone!!
I called the Retention Dept to help me even though it's not their job but I knew I'd land in The US there. They are going to find who in the Company can retrieve my voice mails back to my iPhone and iPad. So now I'm waiting. Both devices were powered off for the night. I'm beyond upset that Comcast Xfinity literally has infringed into my personal emails and voicemails. Deleting every single one!!!
Has nothing to do with Apple at all. If it were it would've been fixed immediately as that's how Apple works. They're gone in my laptop too. Sad state of affairs!
Regular Visitor

I've suspected Comcast for quite a while now.  As they get more advanced and buy up more of the country, customer service and their PRODUCT have bottomed out.  Obviously, there are no comcast employees monitoring this forum because they haven't replied to this thread.  Nor have they replied to the other numerous threads about the same topic.  I hear excuses about how you need to have this brower and that operating system.  Well, I've got the latest version of everything and am having more problems than ever.  Comcast needs to straighten out their own programs before they go blaming something else.  Heaven help us if they succeed in buying Time Warner--there will be NO competition at all to even remotely keep them straight.  And let's not even go down the cable and phone road. . . 

Contributor

criscojohn2000 wrote:

I've suspected Comcast for quite a while now.  As they get more advanced and buy up more of the country, customer service and their PRODUCT have bottomed out.  Obviously, there are no comcast employees monitoring this forum because they haven't replied to this thread.  Nor have they replied to the other numerous threads about the same topic.  I hear excuses about how you need to have this brower and that operating system.  Well, I've got the latest version of everything and am having more problems than ever.  Comcast needs to straighten out their own programs before they go blaming something else.  Heaven help us if they succeed in buying Time Warner--there will be NO competition at all to even remotely keep them straight.  And let's not even go down the cable and phone road. . . 

Not to be pedantic but, this is a community/customer help forum.  It is not a "contact us" venue, nor does it assert that it is "monitored by employees", although there are many helpful employees that visit this site and volunteer thier expertise and time.  It is the same as you will find if you visit the Microsoft forum, or the HP forum, or the Dell forum, etc, etc.
The poster that began the thread with a question did receive a helpful answer, despite the thread hijacking attempts.  Truly, that is just as discorteous as any customer service antics I have ever heard of.  Are you sure YOU don't work for Comcast?
Another helpful idea:   Have a point, make a request, ask for help, or at least make sense.  Just spewing babble doesn't help you (well maybe it does, but I digress).  Truly, Comcast is stealing your emails?  Really?  Why would they put them in your trash folder............sheesh.  If they truly had this major vendetta against you, I'm quite sure they would be a little more clever than that.  Couldn't it possibly be one of a million other tangible things? 
Phew............Ok, now that being said:  I agree with you that Comcast might as well not even have a Customer Service Department.  I think it is the idea that they attempt to pretend it's innovative and amazing is what irritates customers most of all.  I will go VERY far out of my way and try EVERYTHING before I would reach out to them.  I am fortunate, as I have extensive technical knowledge and could probably teach their IT department a thing or two.  But when I have had no other choice (billing errors, account issues, etc), I have had 2 useless idiots and 2 really helpful, pleasant, and knowledgeable customer service professionals. 
There are lots of other options out there........there are many free email clients, you don't have to use Comcast's email.  And the TV choices are endless: smart TV's, Apple TV, Roku, Google.  Good luck.
Apologies to the original poster and all for the snarkiness.....just can't help myself sometimes

Contributor

I recently started a new thread on this very issue. For me it has been happening about a year or more, and all my devices (2 pc's 2 phones and a tablet) are all set to "Leave messages on server", and where I can to "Never delete", as well as on the web site, yet the emails keep disappearing on the web site, which I like to use as an emergency backup, actually. The main problem is so easily fixed, change from POP3 to IMAP! Then, there are NO settings to change, which is why for those who use Gmail or the iCloud stuff see that it is only their Comcast account that has the issue. I had actually written Comcast YEARS ago suggesting that, and with all their "advancements" they still haven't caught on yet. I just don't get it.

Email Expert

khbvhjg wrote:

------------------------ The main problem is so easily fixed, change from POP3 to IMAP! Then, there are NO settings to change, which is why for those who use Gmail or the iCloud stuff see that it is only their Comcast account that has the issue. I had actually written Comcast YEARS ago suggesting that, and with all their "advancements" they still haven't caught on yet. I just don't get it.

Actually, Comcast email is now IMAP compliant.  You can find the settings for it here----------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Wow, when did they do that? Gotta love the notification process. Of course, I haven't yet been able to make it work, though. So far I've only tried on my Nexus7(2013),changed the incoming server to imap.comcast.net, port to 993, then 143, SSL/TLS on (no SSL only setting exists), and all it seems to do is get stuck on "validating settings" on the port 993, and tell me the handshake failed on the port 143 setting.

I was excited for a minute, but still disappointed. And NONE of the techs or reps thus far ever even SUGGESTED this, go figure.

Email Expert

I want to say it happened about 2 months ago or so.  There have been threads about it here in the forums, but if you don't hang out here I don't think they advertised it elsewhere.  At least not that I'm aware of.  I'll have to defer to someone else to help you further, as I'm not familiar with Android devices.  I have an iPhone and iOS now detects Comcast email as IMAP compliant by default.  I would think Android OS would too but I'm not sure.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thanks for the info. Actually, just tried my two comcast.net addresses as imap on my laptop running Win 7 Home Premium 64, and they seemed to send ok, but not receive mail. It's probably something simple, but for the moment I'm missing it. I'll look on the forums some more; that has always been the most reliable up to date information anywhere on any tech subject. It's always the end users, NOT tech support for ANY company that has the best info, and the way I've found most of the info I need to fix pc issues over the decades.

Thanks again!

Contributor

Ok, I think I may have it! I found an old thread, actually, from 2013, with some of your messages in it.Smiley Happy There is a link in one of the messages to a page that, at the time, you had to request to switch over to imap. You don't have to do that anymore, but it does say you can't just change the pop account over to imap, you actually have to set up a new account with the imap settings. And it says you can actually have both the imap and pop accounts working in the same client. I use Thunderbird, so I tried it. The automatic setup didn't work, but a manual configuration does, as long as you name the account something other than what the pop account is named. I then set up everything with the correct port numbers and all, and sent and received test messages from one of my other accounts. I am not using my main Comcast account, I have a secondary account I am going to try over the next few days, and if that all seems to be good, I'll switch over the main account as well. The web site page so far seems to be just the same as it ever was. I think I'll restart Chrome (my main browser), and then check again, but I hope the web site doesn't also need any settings changes.

Thanks again for pointing me in what seems like the right direction!

Contributor

I have this same problem and I believe it began when I switched to IMAP from POP on our computers. Our two Windows 8 phones are automatically set up with IMAP.  I have not been able to stop emails from disappearing. I read Comcast mail on Windows Live mail. Calling Comcast is as useless as Comcast chat. If someone can help me with this problem, I would appreciate it.

Contributor

Actually IMAP should solve this issue. I only had POP mail, and didn't even know Comcast had an IMAP option, so I just changed one of my Comcast accounts to imap; it is the POP account(s) that had the issue. With IMAP at least, all devices should be exactly the same, there is no deletion/leave on server option needed. I have Gmail, which of course is IMAP, and another IMAP account with a different provider, and all the devices I use those accounts mirror one another. With POP you MUST download email to your devices, and that is where the problem for me is. Suddenly, last year, all the emails disappear on the web site, which I only use as a backup jic my pc's crash hard or something. I have always had it working properly, just so long as the settings everywhere were to never delete from server, as well as the settings on the Comcast web site were set to never delete. 

So, I have changed only one of my Comcast accounts to use IMAP (you can also LEAVE the pop email account active!), and so far so good.

Regular Visitor

I agree that comcast chat is useless.  The people that try to help me seem interested in helping but never can.  I have had this problem for 2 years and have had 6 chat room experiences and still no fix. I have tried to move my substantive email correspondance to my gmail accounts.  I have kept comcast since I've had it the longest and some folks still email me here but its basically for junk and spam collection.  Gmail is secure and there I don't get unsolisited "offers".

It is also interesting that when I sent an email to myself with "forward this up your a__" as a subject line, it never disappeared.  When I send myself emails with "account password" or "financial documents" as subject lines, I can expect that they disappear fairly quickly.

My disappearing email issue is intermittent.  It would seem that if I have the POP vs IMAP problem it would be a continuous problem.

Contributor

I have spoken to someone from Comcast's "Executive Response" team, and they have assured me there is a national ticket in, due to this being a "known problem". Again, for me this has been happening for at least a year or so, so I am not totally convinced as of yet that the "national ticket" will solve the problem. In the meantime I do believe converting the account to IMAP WILL solve the problem, but so far have not taken the plunge with my main Comcast address. Soon.

Contributor

Follow up: Ok, if anyone dares to care. Have had exchanges with the "executive response" liason for New England, and he has stopped reponding to me thus far, after maybe three or four actual conversations. I have continued to leave him messages at least three more times, with no response. I have received several calls from Comcast technical support, one tech only, so that is actually good, one doesn't have to completely start from scratch each call. I have done extensive troubleshooting from my end, and two things are evident: Google's email apps, both Gmail and their older stock email app, give SOME people problems on POP accounts, acting as if they are actually IMAP accounts! However, that does not fully account for all the deleted emails on the Comcast servers. The latest: I have NOT deleted emails from my Nexus, the one device that is definitely making my two Comcast POP email accounts act as if they were IMAP. Delete a message from the tablet, with "do not delete from server" checked, and, POOF, they delete the messages from the server anyway, and there are threads in the Gmail help forums run by Google about this going back at least a year! I have spoken with them, but of course they don't offer technical support for their products, but they do allow "sending feedback"; but the feedback link doesn't work from within CHROME, for me at least! Also, the tech support individual upon the last call I had with him, finally started to blame the apps, devices and anything but Comcast for the problem, causing me to actually raise my voice, due to his not listening to the fact that I troubleshooted ALL that! Today, I haven't deleted ANY emails from the tablet since 4/20/15, yet they ALL are gone from the server, ending as of 5/1. From 5/1 until today, they are MOSTLY still there, but not ALL. NONE are in the Comcast trash folder. Therefore, logic dictates that Comcast is the MAJOR problem, and thus far has not taken responsibility for THEIR problem. They have given me a $20 credit, but the month the credit was applied, they charged me TWICE for the internet, ADDING $20! That, of course caused me to call Comcast and speak to a CSR who after 30 MINUTES gave me another credit to offset the double charge, and assured me that the second charge would not appear on the next bill. We shall see...

Regular Visitor

I have just moved from Michigan to Georgia.  For some reason, this seems to be impossible with Comcast.

One guy on the phone actually told me it was becaust I was in a different "region"!  Are you kidding me?!?!?

Anyway, I had four emails in my new Georgia account with comcast.  All gone today.  Why?

I look around for help because I know I will only get more scripted talk with an "agent".  

I ended up here because there is no way that I see where I can say "Do Not Delete" with my emails.

Why in the world do I pay for a service that is not customer friendly?

No choice.

Please explain, anyone, what I need to do to keep my emails in my inbox that I am paying for every stinking month.

Thank you. 

Email Expert

elizabetd wrote:

I have just moved from Michigan to Georgia.  For some reason, this seems to be impossible with Comcast.

One guy on the phone actually told me it was becaust I was in a different "region"!  Are you kidding me?!?!?

Anyway, I had four emails in my new Georgia account with comcast.  All gone today.  Why?

I look around for help because I know I will only get more scripted talk with an "agent".  

I ended up here because there is no way that I see where I can say "Do Not Delete" with my emails.

Why in the world do I pay for a service that is not customer friendly?

No choice.

Please explain, anyone, what I need to do to keep my emails in my inbox that I am paying for every stinking month.

Thank you. 

To check your deletion schedules, from the Inbox page go to Preferences>>>>>>>Email>>>>>Email Deletion Schedules.  That is where you can change them.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

There is no fix to the disappearing email problem.  I have put up with this for at least 2 years (probably 3).  I have had at least 6 "chat" sessions (an hour a piece) and the technicians have even "bumped it up" to higher authorities at least three times.......there is simply no fix to this problem through comcast. Stop trying.

I strongly recommend that you open an other email account such as "gmail". I have changed all of my serious email correspondence to these accounts.  These emails never disappear and I don't get the Spam either!

Comcast cannot be trusted.  Its a second or third rate service.

Contributor

Thus far I must agree with jimylngo. I am still "working" with Comcast tech support, for some months now, and there "technicians" allegedly are working on the problem. I have done a LOT of troubleshooting from my end, and have 2 Comcast addresses, and 3 others, including 2 Gmail addresses, and only have this issue with Comcast. I, too, have begun the long process of migrating my most important contacts over to Gmail, away from an addfress I have been using for a decade and a half! (Not that Google is any more trustworthy, just that so far, they haven't lost any of my emails.) I still am using clients on my pc's, especially my desktop which stays on 24/7, so as soon as emails get delivered, they go to that machine and stay there, even if they "disappear" from the Comcast servers. Why is it that multi billion dollar corporations are the absolute worst when it comes to spending some of that money on fixing their own technical problems? I have also mentioned this and other threads to the Comcast individuals I have spoken to, but doubt they have ever even looked at them. And, I have not had contact with the "executive respose" guy since the last time in MARCH.

Contributor

Ok, an update: I believe we may have found the problem, and it may just be other's problem as well. The setting, at least in Thunderbird, to "Not delete messages on server", has another component to it. Underneath the main setting is an adjunct setting where you can determine a number of days to then delete, even if you have the "Don't delete on server" checked, and another that says "Until I delete them". Now, in the past that meant "Until I delete them on the server", but it seems that it means now (or I missed something then, which could be the case) that it means "Until I delete them in the client". So I have now changed that setting on my two pc's where I use Thunderbird and the technician and I decided on a week to see if that IS the problem... at least for me. I do think we're finally on to something, but the fact it has taken literally months of time and effort, dozens of calls, emails and chats, for what seems to be a rather simple thing is still frustrating. The good news is that Comcast didn't just give up, and the way this got noticed was I had to take a bunch of screenshots showing the emails still in my client, then them missing from the server, and also a shot of my settings page. If this is the fix, let me just say, I won't soon forget this one!

New Poster

Emails continue to clear out of my inbox, without reason.  OR...emails just never show up in my inbox, but...they do arrive to the home computer?  Any insight or suggestions woudl be great, as after a couple chat sessions(worthless) and phone calls(unresolved), this has now escalated to the Back-Office Technical Account Team to resolve?

Regular Visitor

Thank You to the "Techies" who are generously helping solve problems out of the goodness of their hearts!  I too have had disappearing emails and no success getting Xfinity help.  My problem when I go to these blogs is that I AM NOT TECHNICAL enough to understand  what to do when described by the "Techies"  I am really behind the 8 ball so to speak.  The solution regariding changing to smtp for POP sound great but I don't even understand the directions to do this.  Without being too NEEDY is there anyone who can do a Step by Step on how to do this change on a PC? And I mean from the beginning>  go to ???

New Poster

An body that tells you the problem w/ your preference settings is just blowing smoke.

Comcast doesn't have a clue.

Contributor

Actually, no. It really was a setting within Mozilla Thunderbird, as stated in an earlier post, from a year ago. All the emails I have left now still remain from May 25, 2015. The Comcast tech support guy actually called me back several times, and one of their "specialists" actually, after I sent them a print screen of my settings, found one setting that I had forgotten about, even though I had it set previous to me having to do my pc's over from scratch.

One major problem we all have comes with the prevalence of multiple devices, pc's, tablets and phones, and the web settings too, all of which must mirror each other so that one device doesn't screw up the whole thing.

Regular Contributor

Trust me, Comcast does NOT care as long as you pay your bill.  I have called Comcast innumerable times because my Trash folder in my E-mails has disappeared, and when I delete an E-Mail there is no indication as to WHERE it goes.  I am looking for another Internet provider and when I find one to my satisfaction it will be GOODBYE COMCAST FOREVER.

Regular Contributor

You are lucky you even have a TRASH folder.  When I delete my E-Mails I have no idea WHERE they go because my TRASH folder has disappeared.  Do not call Comcast about this because they will tell you "We will call you back" and what that means is THEY WILL NEVER CALL YOU BACK BECAUSE THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE SANCTICY of your E-Mails.  If they did they would put my trash folder back where it belongs.  As soon as I find another COMPETENT E-Mail provider I will leave Comcast FOREVER.

Regular Contributor

Well, if Comcast gets worse we can always switch to Verizon.  I understand Verizon has become digital and it can be installed in just a few minutes with very easy installation with no cuts in the walls or underground wires, etc.  Worth looking into.

New Poster

what is the solution for the disappearing email from Inbox. All the messages seems to be two years old, but I have the same problem recently. Just wondering whether the problem has been solved.

Contributor

For me, using Thunderbird, it was the inadvertent choosing of "does not contain", instead of "contains" when creating my filter. I finally had found just what filter among many I had mistakenly created. Eliminating that one filter fixed my problem.
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 13 in conversation