Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Emails deleted from inbox on iPhone 5

New Poster

Emails deleted from inbox on iPhone 5

My husband's iPhone 5 has an imap account for Comcast, and I have set it up for him and made the necessary changes to the desktop outlook account where he gets his mail.  One problem reamains:  if he opens an email in the inbox on the desktop computer, it disappears from the iPhone--so he has no active inbox flle on his phone unless he avoids opening the email on the desktop. We can't find it in any folder, even though it remains in the inbox on the desk top computer. 

How can this be fixed so that emails disappear from the Iphone inbox only when deleted on either the phone or the desk top.  

Email Expert

Re: Emails deleted from inbox on iPhone 5

If you are using Outlook on the desktop machine, it sounds like you have it set up with POP3.  POP will, by default, download email and then delete it from the server.  If that is the case you need to set Outlook to leave a copy on the server, OR---re-do the account in Outlook with IMAP instead of POP3.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Both the desktop and iPhone 5 are using IMAP, so that is not the issue.

Customer Expert

I'd still look at the settings in Outlook for what happens to the messages when they are downloaded from the server. Is it leaving them on the server? I don't use Outlook, so I don't know what the settings are there.

Also, on your iPhone, look at Settings > Mail ... > your Comcast IMAP account > Advanced and look around in Archive, Deleted, and Drafts settings  to see if there is anything unusual in Mailbox Behaviors. Mine (for gmail IMAP, my Comcast accounts are POP):

Drafts Mailbox     Drafts

Deleted Mailbox  Trash

Archive Mailbox   All Mail

When I tap on Archive Mailbox, I see that Archive is on my iPhone, but All Mail is on the server and checked.

You want to see if there is a similar setting in Outlook and that it isn't grabbing the mail off the server and deleting it much like a POP email client would do.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation