Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Emails being sent through Mac Mail program are not being delivered

New Poster

Emails being sent through Mac Mail program are not being delivered

I've had an ongoing, and frustrating problem for the past six weeks. Certain emails that I send are not being delivered to the recipient, but no undeliverable message is coming back. These are people I have emailed before many times. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. It does not seem to matter whether the email has an attachment or not. Sometimes the person does receive it, other times, they don't. Sometimes an email that has not been getting my emails, all of a sudden starts to receive again. Then another recipient that is regularly getting them, stops receiving. I am able to send email successfully through the Xfinity mail program, but really prefer using my desktop Mac Mail program. I have had an I.T. guy in here 5 times trying to fix it. I have called Comcast and they say it's an issue with Mail. I have talked to Apple support and they say its an issue with Comcast. I have used a Mac with Mail for years and never had this issue before. I am very frustrated and could really use some help resolving this!  Thanks!

Customer Expert

Re: Emails being sent through Mac Mail program are not being delivered

Are you using Comcast email as IMAP or POP?

Are these lost messages saved in your Sent folder in Mac Mail? 

Do you have a signature and does it change?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

They are currently set up as IMAP. They had been configured as POP when the problem was first occurring, about six weeks ago. An I.T. guy changed it to IMAP, and along with other tweaks he made, it seemed to be working pretty well for a while. Then it went back to not delivering.

I do use an email signature; it has my business card, and then I also have a block of copy with my company name and cell phone number. Additionally it has a "View my Profile on Linked In" button. I have been using that same signature for a very long time with no issues at all.

The sent messages are in my sent mailbox on Mail. They appear to be delivered but the recipient claims they never got it. This is occurring with about 5 - 10 different email addresses of all kinds.

Customer Expert

Are the lost messages going to any particular site? Could that site be blocking the messages?

Let's double-check your outgoing server settings. On Apple devices, you need to set both the incoming and outgoing ports. I'm wondering if it's possible that your outgoing settings are hitting port 25 that is sometimes blocked. that's unlikely, but check your settings by ...

In Mail, choose Preferences and the Accounts. Click on your Comcast account. Under the Account Information tab, there is Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) with a pop-up menu. At the bottom of the menu is Edit SMTP Server List. Do that. Choose the Advanced tab. Make it look like mine but with your username (without the @comcast.net) and password. Choose OK.
Outgoing.jpg

I don't know how you figure out whether it works.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you for responding; I looked at the advanced settings pane for Mail and mine has port 143 as the port listed. I have never changed it, but I think the I.T. guy who was helping me a couple weeks ago might have gone in and changed it from whatever it originally was. He also changed it from POP to IMAP. Not sure if 143 is the best port to use or not - I see you have 587 as the port on yours - you believe I should change mine to the same one? Also do you think that my inclusion of my phone number in the signature is causing any of the problem? Sometimes my emails go through and other times they do not.

Thanks, and I REALLY appreciate your kindness in responding to my message!

New Poster

Just replied to your message and then realized I did not answer the first part of your question - no they are not going to any particular site, these are emails to various individuals at multiple companies, so it's all different sites. Some are company servers and some are to Gmail users, Yahoo users, Comcast, etc. No rhyme or reason to who is getting them, and who is not. Someone who did not get them last week, might be getting them today. That's what makes it so strange. I am doing a little bit of testing to see if I send emails without my signature if that makes them go through.

Customer Expert

Yes, switch the outgoing port to what I showed - 587 with SSL and password authentication.

Your phone number in combination with some other content in the message may be triggering a virus filter. The virus filter drops messages without any evidence.

But there are no easy answers to these intermittent problems.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation