Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email usage: XX % of 10 GB. How is the XX % calculated?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Email usage: XX % of 10 GB. How is the XX % calculated?

When I open my email main page there is a “notice / ”information bar graph” saying I have

Email usage: XX % of 10 GB.   How is the XX % calculated?   Is it the total size ( number of bits) of email in my inbox?   Or the Inbox +Trash folder + sent folder OR ??

Verizon is my ISP and Comcast is my email supplier (username@comcast.net); my system is Windows 7 Pro, SP1

I have tried “cleaning up” my in box ( reducing from about 1500 to 200 emails), entirely emptying Trash to 0 emails, Sent and Drafts to less than 100 emails each. There is no appreciable change in the XX % value.

I have several “Folders” that I have set up to collect and sort incoming emails (using filters). Some of the folders have a large amount of emails ---- 20 or 30 MB in size.   Are the size of the folders included in the XX % value?

I thought the “Folders were stored locally on my hard drive, but I cannot locate any of the folders by searching mu hard drive. If the folders are stored on my hard drive, where are they located?

Thanks for any information or a link with information on how the XX % is calculated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Email usage: XX % of 10 GB. How is the XX % calculated?

Latoque,

Sorry for the delayed response -- (out of town over the weekend).

No, I am not  using email client  like Outlook, Thunderbird or Windows Mail, so that is why I do not find any folders. It also answers the question that all the usage totals are the total of ALL my folders + inbox, sent , ect.

That wraps up this question.   Thanks again for your time and prompt answers - I do appreciate your help. I have a couple of other Comcast email questions that I will post later,

View answer in context
Email Expert

First, can you clarify------------you are no longer a Comcast HSI customer, yet you say you still have a functioning Comcast email address?  Is that right?  Because if you canceled the Comcast service you should no longer have access to the email.  When did you cancel and switch to Verizon?

Also, are you using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird, or can you still sign into the webmail portal?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Email Expert

Having connected with you in your other thread I can now try to answer this question.  As far as I know, any local folders you create and their contents are counted in the calculation used to determine how much of your 10 Gb storage you have used.  I know the Inbox and Sent folders are also included.  I'm not sure about Spam, Drafts or Trash.  I'll see if I can find out and post back when I do.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Latoque,

Thanks for the information.  You wrote "  As far as I know, any local folders you create and their contents are counted in the calculation........." & "   I know the Inbox and Sent folders are also included."

I have searched my hard drive trying to locate these folders --so I can verify the size.  I am unable to locate, do you know the name Comcast uses and /or directory.  My guess it has to be the "C" drive (I have PC with WIN 7 pro), but Icanot  seem can not locate.

Thanks.

Email Expert

OK I have been assuming you were talking about the Comcast webmail portal.  Are you using an email client on your computer like Outlook, Thunderbird or Windows Mail?  Because that's the only way email folders are going to be found on your hard drive.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Latoque,

Sorry for the delayed response -- (out of town over the weekend).

No, I am not  using email client  like Outlook, Thunderbird or Windows Mail, so that is why I do not find any folders. It also answers the question that all the usage totals are the total of ALL my folders + inbox, sent , ect.

That wraps up this question.   Thanks again for your time and prompt answers - I do appreciate your help. I have a couple of other Comcast email questions that I will post later,

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation