Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email server error 0x800408FC

Frequent Visitor

Email server error 0x800408FC

Operating WIndows Vista with Microsoft Outlook 2007 edition - suddenly I can no longer get my email?

I have not changed anything and now I get the error message:

0x800408FC  "The server name you have entered cannot be found on the network (it might be down temporarily).  Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct."

I am online and my connection is solid - the server name is correct as per the guidelines on the Comcast website    995 and 587 etc etc....still nothing .... I even tried creating a new account - still nothing.   

Frequent Visitor

Re: Email suddenly not working

I have tried changing the DNS server numbers as suggested in another thread to

neither of them worked - although it said the server was found but was not responding....so what is the fix?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Email server error 0x800408FC

Nevermind  this fixed it::

IPV6 was turned on/enabled. turning it off fixed the issue for me.

to disable/turn off IPV6 do the following

open network and sharing center

Click change adapter settings

right click local area connection choose properties

untick IPV6 save/close  (did not need to restart computer)

outlook is now senduing and receiving without errors

Frequent Visitor

comcaast customer service sucks Btw  - THEY DID NOT HAVE A FRICKIN CLUE!

Official Employee

kirknotes7 wrote:

IPV6 was turned on/enabled. turning it off fixed the issue for me.

That's odd... since we support IPv6 on our core and have DNS set up:

$ dig +short aaaa mail.comcast.net
2001:558:fe2d:70::33
2001:558:fe14:70::33

$ dig +short aaaa smtp.comcast.net 

smtp.g.comcast.net.
2001:558:fe14:70::30

I'm glad you have mail working again, but if you ever see issues like this again that involve IPv6, please do not hesitate to let us know so we can troublehsoot.

Thanks,

ComcastDouglasM

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thats odd since I spent about 2 hours with Comcast tech support on this issue and they could not fix the problem - they finally ended up saying someone would call me to resolve the issue ad no one ever called.     After another 2 hours of my own research and trying all the suggestions one by one - I  finally discovered THIS thread and was able to resolve the issue by turning off IPV6 myself.   I never would have known what the problem was without this forum - however I cannot uderstand why Comcast canot figure out the problem. 

Problem Solver

I am glad you found a solution. In the future if you want to avoid a two hour phone call you might try this.

I found another way to contact Comcast, here is an email address.

You can send an email to the We Can Help Comcast Team.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Please include all of the following in your email:
Service address
The full name on your account
Home phone number & an alternate number if possible
Your Comcast Account number
A link to this Thread (if necessary)
A detailed description of the problem

I did send a test email and did receive a reply from Comcast Customer Support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The people who reply to your post are for the most part Comcast customers (they are unpaid). If the name on the reply is in RED they are a Comcast employee. If anyone answers your question please mark their post as the answer. To do this log in then go to the post with the solution. Click on OPTIONS then select MARK AS SOLUTION. Only the person that asks the question can mark the solution.

New Poster

Thank You! Thank You !Thank You ! to everyone... After weeks of countless, fruitless discussions with comcast and wasting my time, I unchecked IPV6  in the adapter settings and voila, outlook is working.

Here's the strange part of this I don't understand, Outlook is working fine on 1 laptop with ipv6 checked.  All three computers have same operating system, Vista, and on the the same network. 

New Poster

I agree with you. Why hasn't Comcast figure this out.   Hours, I spent on the phone repeating the same information . 

Problem Solver

CC_AA wrote:

That's odd... since we support IPv6 on our core and have DNS set up:

Hi ComcastDouglasM,

I posted this link for you. It might help you in the future.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/outlook-wont-work-with-win...

Gold Problem Solver

The We Can Help email addressI is used primarily for customer service and billing issues.
Tech issues normally are posted here for help, or escalated to a Level 2 Tech Support via the 1-800 Comcast number.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

This is an update.  After all the angst with outlook not running and overall spotty internet. I got a new modem from comcast late yesterday.  Now  able to use Outlook 2003 on all my computers..and internet speed is fine. Running like a top! 

New Poster

Yes, the IPV6 trick WORKS.  Just make sure you click on your wireless (if using it) and click OFF the IPV6 option.  Finallyh cleared this most annoying error.  Funny, when testing the config PRIOR to hitting send/receive, everything passed.  Exiting the setup, failed.

Do this and it WILL work. 

Right click your Internet connection ICON (graduating bars), lower right part of systray/screen

Click on Open Network and Sharing Center

Upper left, 3rd option, click on change adapter settings

If you are like MOST home users, there will be a Ethernet connection to the upper left, wireless to the right.

Right click on whichever one you are using (I turned BOTH off in the oft chance this PC would ever be plugged into a cat 5 cable again)

Click on properties

Click OFF IPV6

Exit

Test

Voila....now, breathe again and don't kick the dog!

New Poster

ok so I have done just about every thing on  the list except for the DNS server and I am still unable to get outlook to work

OS Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating system

Outlook version 2010

New Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I was away from this computer for two months. Upon returning, I was unable to receive anything in Outlook 2003. The computer hadn't been touched. Nothing changed. I tried kirknotes7's fix, unchecked IPV6, and received mail in all accounts perfectly!

New Poster

Thank you for posting this information.  I too was on the phone for over an hour with a Customer Service / IT rep from Comcast and he could not figure this out.  He told me to wait a day and call back if it didn't come back on its own.  Well a few weeks has gone by and nothing fixed it's self.  I'm not good with the background work of a computer but this fix I was able to figure out and now my emails are coming in to my Outlook.  Thank you, Thank you....

New Poster

DOUBLE KUDOS to kirknotes7!  I replaced my old (no longer supported) ComCast cable modem with a new fancy cable modem from ComCast.  Phone and Internet finally came up, but I couldn't receive Gmail email on the laptop - wired or wirelessly. I was handed around from one ComCast agent to another - finally gave up and Google'd 0x800408FC.  Per kirknotes7's suggestion, I unchecked IPV6 for both wired and wireless connections, and VOILA - Gmail now works.  (Perhaps the new modem supports IPV6, but for some reason my laptop is unhappy with it.)  Problem appears to be solved!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Same error, same solution (disabling IPV6) seems to have worked for me. And now that I'm thinking about it, it's not the first time with this problem. 

Yesterday, our computer guy changed in in-home WiFi network (new network name & password)) to fix a printer problem. Iniitially, e-mail sending and receiving worked,  then the cimputer slept. In the morning, Outlook wouldn't receive. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation