Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email problem, system not saving vital emails

New Poster

Email problem, system not saving vital emails

Hi,

I've been having trouble with emails.  My filter says not to delete emails, however, when I go in to view emails have been deleted > than seven days.  I have not touched my filter, and have double checked.  filter states I should be able to save and view.  Please check my account I do not want my emails delted.  I need emails retrieved from 9/2015' as I have buisness matters to manage.  Please correct.

Katie Gischel

Email Expert

Re: Email problem, system not saving vital emails

Do you have the account enabled on more than one computer using a client like Outlook or Thunderbird?  Or on another device like a smartphone or tablet?  If so, the settings in any of those will override your Comcast preferences.  Is the account set up with IMAP or POP3?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Work email has Outlook program.  Home computers no.  Do not know what IMAP or POP3 is??

Email Expert

If the account is enabled on a computer at work using Outlook, it may be configured to use POP3.  In which case the default behaviour is for it to download the messages to the computer and then delete them from the server.  You need to check with your system administrator or IT person at work, even if only to eliminate that as the cause of the issue.

POP3 and IMAP are the protocols used for retrieving email from a server, and how it's handled on whatever device you have the account enabled on.  Here is some information you may find interesting on the subject-------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=ItLrl8JJrJ...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Why would they be deleted from home computer or i phone.  I only read emails at work on occasion, 1-2 times a week.  My settings shouldn't change from this?

New Poster

IT states emails only checked thru web.  No configuration per IT.  Problem on comcast.net, setting problem with you.

Email Expert

Then as a precaution I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is a common sign of a malware infection, or a compromised account. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation