Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email forwarding for discontinued accounts

Regular Visitor

Email forwarding for discontinued accounts

I am movig to the area where Comcast does not provide service. Will my comcast emails be forwarded to a new address and for how long since I close the account ?

Tags (1)
Email Expert

Re: Email forwarding for discontinued accounts

No, once you close the account you will lose acess to the email too.  There is no forwarding option offered by Comcast.  Like most ISPs, their email is proprietary.  I would suggest that before you terminate service, you should forward any emails you have now to some other, non-ISP related email account like Yahoo, Outlook.com, Gmail or some other you might have.  Gmail lets you import from Comcast.  If you don't have a Gmail account they are easy to get and free.  I tried with Yahoo and Outlook but they don't support import right now for Comcast addresses.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I seriously doubt your statement "most ISP" as many of them offer that kind of service for a fee.

Now I dare to say this has to be “constitutional right” nowadays.

Can you imaging that you move from one house to the other and reach out to your local post office to setup standard 1 year long mail forwarding service but you hear instead it is our “business model” to destroy all your incoming mail once you leave your current residence.

Like good old mail the modern days email belongs to me and I have every right to have it delivered to whatever my current electronic residence is.

Regular Contributor

SergShultz wrote:

I seriously doubt your statement "most ISP" as many of them offer that kind of service for a fee.

Now I dare to say this has to be “constitutional right” nowadays.

Can you imaging that you move from one house to the other and reach out to your local post office to setup standard 1 year long mail forwarding service but you hear instead it is our “business model” to destroy all your incoming mail once you leave your current residence.

Like good old mail the modern days email belongs to me and I have every right to have it delivered to whatever my current electronic residence is.

Whether you believe it or not, most ISPs remove access to your email when you close your account.  There is no "constitutional right" to provide you with access to your old email address.  You paid for a service and then stopped paying.

While the email belongs to you, the ISP owns the servers that the email is stored on, and once you stop paying them for storing the email for you, you lose access to those emails.  You need to save the emails before closing the account.

As for your example of moving from one house to another and having your mail forwarded, the USPS is still the provider to both locations, so that point is not valid.  If you move to another house that has access to Comcast you can sign up and retain your old email address.

Regular Visitor

Your belief vs. my belief. You have to provide the facts. USPS is handling snail mail historically therefore government backed. Emails nowadays is the exact equivalent of snail mail. Considerate Email providers understand the importance and hence offer the special service of forwarding your email for free or for fee. Calling yourself ISP and providing complimentary Email service does not morally relieve you from generally widespread courtesy  of providing rudimental and isolated of anything else email forwarding service.  

Service Expert

This isn't the place to debate.  Regardless of who does what, Comcast discontinues any email accounts once the account is closed.  There is no forwarding, there are no fees to pay for a forwarding service.  The account is terminated and all services, including email, with it.  You might still have access to email until the next billing date, however, but for all intents and purposes you will be losing the account.  Bottom line.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

There is very minimum you have to do, and your lawyers won't deny it, is to put BIG DISCLAIMER for anybody who is just signing up for your email services “There is no forwarding of email under any circumstances once your account is terminated”. If I clearly knew that in the very beginning I would never setup my comcast.net email.
Email Expert

I'm closing the thread.  Nothing further to be gained here.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation