Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email Filter Not Working

Regular Visitor

Email Filter Not Working

I am having difficulty downloading old email from my Sent folder to a Microsoft Outlook account that I set up on my computer.  I understand that only email from the Inbox will get download to my Outlook account by default, so I copied many of the messages from my Sent folder to my Inbox.  That resulted in many of the messages getting downloaded to my Outlook Inbox.  However, some of the messages did not get downloaded from my Comcast Inbox to my Outlook Inbox after I moved them from my Comcast Sent folder to my Comcast Inbox.

I then tried forwarding email messages in my Comcast Sent folder to my own Comcast address, so they would get re-added to my Comcast Inbox.  That seemed to work.

I then tried to create an email filter to forward all email messages sent from my email address.  The filter is set up to forward the messages back to my Comcast email address.  When I run the filter, I am prompted to specify the email folder to which I want to apply the filter.  I selected the Sent folder and then expect the items in that folder to be forwarded back to my Comcast Inbox.  However, nothing seemed to happen.  The messages did not get forwarded to my Comcast Inbox.

I found a post on this forum indicating that email filters do not run. See:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Email-Filters-will-not-Run/td-p/2016959

While several people complained of this problem, there was no response from Comcast support.  Can someone help me understand why the filter that I created does not seem to work?

Email Expert

Re: Email Filter Not Working

It looks like you are using POP3 in your Outlook----right?  If so, you can save yourself a truckload of aggravation by setting the account up to use IMAP instead of POP3.  IMAP supports local and default folders-------POP3 only works on the Inbox folder, as you already know.  Once you start using IMAP you can move emails at will between folders and even accounts.  I don't have Outlook but I do use Apple Mail and the functionality should be about the same.   I can use a drop down menu to copy or move an email from one folder to another, or from one account to another.  Or I can drag and drop it to do the same thing.

After you set the account up with IMAP and you are satisfied everything is OK, you can go back and delete the POP3 version if you like.  Here are the settings---------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Email Filter Not Working

Thank you, Latoque.  I had originally set up my Outlook account to use IMAP, but found that using IMAP would not allow me to select an existing Outlook data file (.PST file).  So, I then switched the Outlook account to use POP3, which did allow me to select an existing data file to which newly downloaded messages could be appended.

I will need to research whether there is a way to use an existing data file when configuring Outlook to download messages from a server using IMAP.  It seems like that should be possible, but I'm not an expert and don't know whether there is anything about IMAP that requires the use of a new data file.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation