Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Editing Email Deletion Schedule Preferences

Frequent Visitor

Editing Email Deletion Schedule Preferences

How long should it take for changes made to my email deletion preferences to take place? Thanks to Apple no longer allowing the use of pop accounts in favor of imap email accounts, a lot of storage on my iPhone is being used for the almost 13,000 messages coming in from my Comcast email account. Consequently, I changed my deletion schedule for the Comcast account from "Never" to "120 days" for both read and unread inbox messages and sent messages. I hit the refresh button in my inbox several times, but no change occurs, even though most of that number are older than 120 days.
Email Expert

Re: Editing Email Deletion Schedule Preferences

First of all, you can indeed use POP on the iPhone if you want to.  It's just that iOS now automatically detects Comcast accounts as IMAP compliant by default, so that if you let the phone do the set-up for you that's what you get.

To revert to POP do this--------start to recreate the account on the phone from scratch using the same credentials except for one thing-------when you get to the screen that tells you to type in the password for the account, deliberately mis-type it so it's wrong, even if only by one character or something.  It will try to verify the account and then come back and tell you the password or user ID is wrong.  Clear that and then you have the option to pick either POP or IMAP.  After you choose POP correct the password and hit Next.  Once your POP is up and running you can go back in the phone settings and delete the IMAP version of the account if you want  to.

Secondly, when you choose your Deletion schedules in the Comcast webmail, it only affects the webmail.  If you set the account up on a phone or tablet, or use a client on a desktop, the settings in those will override whatever you had set in the webmail portal.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much for your reply.  So far, so good.  I set up a new pop account as directed.  The phone immediately downloaded 500 messages, but that number, at least, was workable in so far as deleting those I didn't want through the "edit" email function on the phone.  I'm about to delete the imap account.  Fingers crossed.

Apple Genius Bar staff told me I had no choice of the type of account anymore.  The problems all started when I allowed my 4S to be updated.  I stopped getting Comcast mail all toghether.  Gmail and yahoo accounts were OK.  When I tried to re-establish the account, I believe I specifically tried to ensure it was pop, but somehow it didn't work.  They also told me that if I were to delete the messages from my Comcast account, they would disappear from my iPhone.  So much for that advice.

Again, thanks.

Email Expert

I don't know who you talked to at Apple, but obviously they were wrong.   But then that person might not have been aware of the little "trick" I gave you to get around the automatic account set-up on the phone.  I have a 4s too, and an iMac.  When Comcast IMAP was still in beta I had to use the same trick to get OS X to recognize IMAP because POP was still the default.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:  Although I was able to re-establish a pop Comcast mail account and delete the old imap account, old messages from the Comcast server keep "coming down" to my iPhone.  With the imap account, it was all 13,000 old emails at one time; with the pop account, it's 150 at a time.  I delete as many as I have patience to do by hand, only to have 150 more show up.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation