Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

EMail to me sneding bounce message due to DMARC

Frequent Visitor

EMail to me sneding bounce message due to DMARC

I was sent the bounce message by someone who was trying to contact me. His message actually didn't bounce, but I don't want people to think their messages aren't getting through, so I don't want them to receive these messages. Since this is apparently a public forum, I think I should censor in orange text the personal parts, though I don't know if the numbers are personal or not:

This is the mail system at host gateway05.websitewelcome.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

[personal]@comcast.net>: host mx2.comcast.net[personal IP?] said: personal IP?

Message rejected due to DMARC. Please see
    http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001 (in reply to
    end of DATA command)

Final-Recipient: rfc822;  [personal]@comcast.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx2.comcast.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.2.0 fX8F1p01i09ayjF01X8FfX Message rejected due to
    DMARC. Please see
    http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001

Tags (2)
Gold Problem Solver

Re: EMail to me sneding bounce message due to DMARC

See this?

http://postmaster.comcast.net/dmarcupdate.html

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver

UUMom wrote:

Remote-MTA: dns; mx2.comcast.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.2.0 fX8F1p01i09ayjF01X8FfX Message rejected due to
    DMARC. Please see
    http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#DM000001

FWIW, I sent myself an email that generated that DMARC rejection response, and it wasn't delivered. Any chance the email you received wasn't actually the same one that was rejected? Or, maybe one of the many servers in their MX cluster is out of whack.

Frequent Visitor

I did get the message that you said bounced. The messages are coming through, but the sender is getting a bounced message. Does anyone know what I can do? The latest message was to a customer who uses yahoo.com; she sent me a message that arrived but had received a bounced message that said it didn't go through (I didn't see her bounced message).

Frequent Visitor

Maybe I just received the email from this forum and not your message.

Frequent Visitor

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at http://constantguard.comcast.net/dedicated-support/contacts - Am I supposed to call the Legal Response Center or Security Assurance Department? Do I have a security issue?

Bronze Problem Solver

UUMom wrote:

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at http://constantguard.comcast.net/dedicated-support/contacts - Am I supposed to call the Legal Response Center or Security Assurance Department? Do I have a security issue?

If Comcast is, in fact, generating that error message about refusing an email due to DMARC and then delivering that email to you, it has nothing to do with *you*, it's about Comcast doing things wrong. But I think it's much more likely that there's something else going on. Dunno what, though... and it does seem odd that the same thing is happening with Yahoo (which also has a "reject" DMARC policy)

And it doesn't make sense to me that that link above is in that DM000001 error message section at postmaster.comcast.net. It does imply that you might have a "security issue", but there's no indication of that.

I didn't send a test message that flunked DMARC to you, I sent it to myself.

Frequent Visitor

No, you got it wrong - it is not being emailed to me, it is being emailed to people who are emailing me. Several people have told me they got bounced messages from me even though they actually got through. They, or someone - who?, is sending a bounced message and it looks like it's DMARC.

"it's about Comcast doing things wrong." Now that I can believe.

Where can I find out what is happening so that it can be fixed?

Please help as this is a serious problem for me.

Thank you!

Gold Problem Solver

I would call the Comcast Assurance Department and tell them what is going on.

Customer Security Assurance Department
The Customer Security Assurance organization is here to help you have a safe and secure online experience. This dedicated group of security professionals responds to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.
Business Hours: 6:00am – 2:00am EST
7 days a week

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver

UUMom wrote:

No, you got it wrong - it is not being emailed to me, it is being emailed to people who are emailing me.

Actually I didn't get it wrong, I just did a horrible job of expressing myself. The Comcast error I was talking about was the error code in the SMTP chit-chat between the sending server and the Comcast server.

Did your sender's bounce message include the original header? If so, it could be revealing to compare the Message ID in that header to the Message ID in the header of the email you received.

Frequent Visitor

I finally spoke with Comcast support who told me that DMARC is their authenticity product, which they can not alter for an individual user. Gmal, Yahoo, and other servers can send using an IP that DMARC will not authenticate. When it's bounced to those servers, they may resend the message using another IP so that it will come through to me even though the sender received a bounced message.

He said there was nothing to be done to keep senders from receiving a bounced message if it doesn't pass DMARC authentication. Even if they don't have problems sending messages to others or even if I don't have trouble receiving their messages.

I can understand in a world of spam and hacking that authentication might be needed, but this bouncing messages that have no problems, that aren't sending email blasts or going through a listserv, should be sent bounced messages with some of their messages not getting through while others do, doesn't make sense to me. I get plenty of spam that filters into my Junk box. I don't understand why people who send messages to me don't have this problem with others if, as Comcast support says, it is a problem with their email server.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation