Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Driver

Regular Visitor

Driver

My computer says I have to install a driver for my network adapter.  I just installed the new gateway and it works on my laptop (wifi) but cannot connect to my desktop dell computer.  I have the ethernet cable connected to the dell.  Help please, Thank you, Arlene

Problem Solver

Re: Driver

Network adapter for the Dell? If you don't have a Dell Resource CD then try looking for the driver on Dell's website.

Gold Problem Solver

Arlene13 wrote: My computer says I have to install a driver for my network adapter. ...

Fixing problems like this one is beyond the scope of the Forums. Please see http://www.dell.com/support/ and/or a site more geared to PC repair.

Regular Contributor

You would need to contact Dell for sure, looking up your motherboard would help determine what ethernet adaptor is on board (Realtek is my guess).  A disk would be great, but I know a lot of companies have moved away from that and put the back ups on seperate partition on the hard drive. 

It all really depends on the age of your computer and if Dell will help you.  Good thing is, you at least have an ethernet connection (which means your adaptor does have some sort of driver) what it may be looking for is an update for you wifi adaptor. 

I DO work for Comcast. Do I know everything? NO. Do I help thousands of customers every year? YES I do.
Frequent Visitor

At www.dell.com/support enter the "Express Service Tag" located on the bottom of your dell desktop, this will take you to a page where you can download your drivers.  You'll want to get/install the ethernet drivers. 

If you care to share the service tag, we can probably help you find the potential drivers.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation