Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Download Bottlenecks

Regular Contributor

Download Bottlenecks

so with windows 10 now the horizon, and me having just re-built my computer has got me thinking of fast i can download things, as there are times where that's very relavant for me because i do download very large files like games

so i'm running an i5 4670k with 4x4g of ddr3 1833 ram, 2 sli 970s, 3 ssds of 120, 240 and 500gb of size, mobo is an asrock extreme 6/ac

i also have comcast's internet speed rated at like 105mbps

so my question is where am i going to face a bottleneck when downloading?

i dont think it would be machine, those sdds have maxed out the sata connection speed, my mobo should handle any speed fine

so would it be the servers i'm downloading from?

or still my internet speed? like if i'm able to dl a file at 10MBps i should be pretty happy, knowing i'm almost using all the available speed made to me, right?

also i wonder how well my system will be able to handle a remote desktop, and at what internet speeds do i need to make it seem as if i'm on my pc even if i'm away from it?

Networking Expert

Re: Download Bottlenecks

Which Comcast gateway do you have, and how are you connecting to it (Ethernet, WiFi, If Ethernet, what is the cable rating?)

10MB/s (80Mb/s) is close to the 'real world' limitation of fast Ethernet, so if your cables are rated lower than CAT5e, you are probably at your limit. If you have a proven GigE or Wireless-N connection between the PC and the router, then either the Comcast connection or remote server quality is likely going to be the botleneck...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Awesome. Thank you sir! I use an ethernet connection. and i dont use comcast owned modem/router. i have a motoralo modem and a asus router, cant remember the specific models though, and not home to check. i did buy both with the idea of getting devices with the highest allowed speeds for the least amount of money

my speed test came out to like 125Mb/s

you know by chance how fast a 7200rpm HDD can get? like what its Mb/s might be? i'm just curious if things would download faster on a like a SSD as compared to a HDD. if so i would use that ssd to dl and the transfer it the hdd for storage

Connection Expert

FWIW, your HDD is not the bottleneck..

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation