Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Do the comcast.net email website banner ads still give off viruses, trojans, ad/spyware, or malware?

Contributor

Do the comcast.net email website banner ads still give off viruses, trojans, ad/spyware, or malware?

Years and years ago when I used comcast.net to check email, I ended up getting 3 malwares from the banner ads (which were probably just Flash back then).

I got an email (through another email client) advertising Xfinity's revamped email client layout, and it looks fine I guess, but the banner ads are still in the same place, and I'm afraid of using it as my main interface due to getting viruses through it before.

I've had this issue with Yahoo's web client as well.

Has Comcast cleaned this up, or is the interface still vulnerable to malware coming through the banner ads and gumming up my computer again?

By the way, if your answer is "It's never happened to me and so will never happen to you" or "I just don't believe you got malware from our perfect comcast" or "comcast is invulnerable", don't bother replying.

Contributor

Re: Do the comcast.net email website banner ads still give off viruses, trojans, ad/spyware, or malw

Nobody has any info on Comcast keeping their email page clean?

Admin1

Re: Do the comcast.net email website banner ads still give off viruses, trojans, ad/spyware, or malw

Hi dhinged -- We take our responsibility to combat malware seriously and we constantly work to keep any banner ads clean. We recommend that each customer protect themselves from malware and other viruses no matter what web sites they're visiting or using. Here are some ways you can protect yourself:

Install Norton Security Suite

Norton Security Suite is one of the most widely used computer protection programs. With Norton, you get protection from a wide range of viruses, worms, and other malware that could harm your network devices.Norton Security Suite will also perform regular scans for viruses, worms, and bots and immediately remove any malware detected on your computer.Norton Security Suite is included in Constant Guard by XFINITY. Constant Guard is a free, comprehensive security service available for download here or as a standalone download.

Scan for Malware

Malware is a kind of program that is installed on your computer without your knowledge and sends your private information to an outside party. Comcast recommends users regularly check their system for malware.

Set Up a Firewall

A firewall controls the data that goes in and out of your network and provides an extra layer of security from viruses. Using a firewall:

• Protects your personal information by barricading your hard drive from worms, hackers and more.
  • Records potentially hostile Internet traffic and alerts you-useful when reporting security problems.
  • Monitors Internet and network activity, and controls application access to the Internet.

You can set up a firewall through your computer or with your Wireless Gateway 1 (Model Numbers TG852G, TG862G, SMCD3DNV, or TC8305C) or Wireless Gateway 2 (Model Number DPC3939).

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation