Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Delivery Status Notification: failed attempt

ANSWERED
New Poster

Delivery Status Notification: failed attempt

I've been getting one or two emails like the one below (different recipient addresses each time) for weeks now. None of those addresses are in my address book, in fact I have cleared out my address book on Comcast. I now use Thunderbird client as a POP agent (the addresses being listed in these notifications are not in my Thunderbird address book either). Have I been hijacked or spoofed? If that is the case, or another issue, how do I stop this from happening? I have removed spam filtering because there seems to be an issue with Comcast and certain of my mmo games: Comcast says they are not on any blacklist but with Spam filtering on I do not get them, with Spam filtering off I do receive email from them. I am going to set up filtering on Thunderbird but that will be one address at a time, it appears. Any guidance would be appreciated

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 0 second(s): * xxx@xxx.xxx

Reporting-MTA: dns; resqmta-po-01v.sys.comcast.net [96.114.154.160]
Received-From-MTA: dns; resomta-po-11v.sys.comcast.net [96.114.154.235]
Arrival-Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:00 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxx@xxx.xxx
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <xxx@xxx.xxx>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com
Last-attempt-Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:00 +0000

===
Accepted Solution

Re: Delivery Status Notification: failed attempt

If you are getting bounces on emails you know you didn't send to addresses you don't recognize, you are either being spoofed, or the acount has been compromised.  Check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be.  If it looks OK, then likely it's spoofing, in which case there is nothing to do but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use an address for a couple of weeks and move on to annoy someone else.

You should change the password and secret question and answer for the account, and run a scan with your A/V software to be on the safe side.  If it persists, you might want to call Comcast security and ask them to look at the account-----------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

View answer in context
New Poster

Sorry the posted header did not come out correctly. Here is the correct full email info:

Subject:
Delivery status notification
Mail Delivery System <mailer-daemon@comcast.net>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:00 +0000
To:
tac.rift@comcast.net
X-Account-Key:
account4
X-UIDL:
6603.CfUfE8UgSN,VtQvuI9UZcFDJcRx8gN6bT4qs3kc6GJ8=
X-Mozilla-Status:
X-Mozilla-Status2:
Received:
from reszmta-po-06v.sys.comcast.net (LHLO reszmta-po-06v.sys.comcast.net) (96.114.154.198) by resmail-po-604v.sys.comcast.net with LMTP; Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:29:00 +0000 (UTC)
Received:
from resomta-po-08v.sys.comcast.net ([96.114.154.232]) by reszmta-po-06v.sys.comcast.net with comcast id 68V01q001516pyw018V0zf; Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:29:00 +0000
Received:
from resqmta-po-01v.sys.comcast.net ([96.114.157.71]) by resomta-po-08v.sys.comcast.net with comcast id 68T01q0021YiWCo018T0H1; Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:00 +0000
X-CAA-SPAM:
N00000
X-Authority-Analysis:
v=2.1 cv=cpAVkjIi c=1 sm=1 tr=0 a=6bT1hhMoLQJZUTxC9GwvcA==:117 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=GGcpBh7Jt_oA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=9iDbn-4jx3cA:10 a=cKsnjEOsciEA:10 a=gZbpxnkM3yUA:10 a=3oc9M9_CAAAA:8 a=XAs2Vb1Hqiy853Em2M0A:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=pZOWb8_lWuQA:10 a=Ei--kfNCd3UA:10 a=28us8oFdpxQA:10 a=a7FlcieC_i0A:10 a=wJb-PmLwvC8A:10 a=GKzs_5DjcvHokWb4A68A:9 a=FEjdd9_jK2EA:10 a=wAQ6Jb9jwZYA:10 a=ueR0yvrHG-oA:10 a=mS0H8D8KBFMA:10 a=6ZPrzv5pAAAA:8 a=NEAV23lmAAAA:8 a=wGTCyTamG7sXj1JdDXkA:9 a=ZEQcMB2T2NQA:10 a=XliwAxsjN1oA:10
MIME-Version:
Content-Type:
multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status; boundary="------------I305M09060309060P_993314269264200"

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 0 second(s):

* xxx@xxx.xxx

Reporting-MTA: dns; resqmta-po-01v.sys.comcast.net [96.114.154.160]
Received-From-MTA: dns; resomta-po-11v.sys.comcast.net [96.114.154.235]
Arrival-Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:00 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxx@xxx.xxx
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <xxx@xxx.xxx>: Recipient address rejected: aol.com
Last-attempt-Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:00 +0000

Received: from haitianchannel.com ([108.175.159.162])
by resomta-po-11v.sys.comcast.net with comcast
id 68Sf1q0073WXMi4018SkEi; Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:26:54 +0000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=GKKGE49K c=1 sm=1 tr=0
a=4WL04KazFViU0ThHzRAIhQ==:117 a=4WL04KazFViU0ThHzRAIhQ==:17 a=6ZPrzv5pAAAA:8
a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=GGcpBh7Jt_oA:10 a=aQTKEMzIOqL_Tu7cl3IA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10
a=UFwoXsrGav4A:10 a=GqTYfwCt5xcA:10 a=FVpmrEBEVi0A:10 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10
a=JezT2h_19EIA:10 a=3RK-nJ2A-N0A:10 a=XKq8GTXGaBIA:10 a=tw7vpKglWzUA:10
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:26:40 +0000
Return-Path: <my email address>
To: xxx@xxx.xxx
Reply-To: Ethan Cummings <my email address>
Subject: Couple Arousing ***** Massage
Message-ID: <12bfab52b3349cb46461a1784dbf6fce@haitianchannel.com>
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: PHPMailer 5.2.6 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="b1_12bfab52b3349cb46461a1784dbf6fce"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net;
s=q20140121; t=1426926420;
bh=BnJzSkVfuQkEBL25ZSgH946plRyJYICUQF2xD3rb1Bs=;
h=Received:Receivedate:To:From:Reply-To:Subject:Message-ID:
MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=oQkJa2E3oF/POUtfbBnfBGjGNV/2615Y2g+Hs+VjcJ43Mv1YISvl0XZ4ny+BlnYgu
QweghC4z3ZuZktHqvqV1PiHqbcHdB1pNQspYIxMrfqTY+9/RKmW5+VGCQ+Ed17s1hU
Ggqwl+ECFnO2cZJJ6P6Fvlo5APzbdp7zoo89hfSoK1XlXeVLVvsFmQTftGRx3Pp3c/
pojiwr9GMisQjpSM6vkIySJhFFqP1JWZYPwrwBRFf7cpjNY4/UK3CXjUqhQCg2D53p
/6B65JtDyRXOlTVwE5cp9cRV+2jrdiE72pg3GUsZ2Z40C7gsaMZSCKB5xaoHv+aaSH
Vj7j+w0O6xnhg==

Part 1.2

Content-Type:
message/delivery-status
Content-Encoding:
8bit

Part 1.3
Part 1.3

Content-Type:
text/rfc822-headers

Email Expert

If you are getting bounces on emails you know you didn't send to addresses you don't recognize, you are either being spoofed, or the acount has been compromised.  Check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be.  If it looks OK, then likely it's spoofing, in which case there is nothing to do but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use an address for a couple of weeks and move on to annoy someone else.

You should change the password and secret question and answer for the account, and run a scan with your A/V software to be on the safe side.  If it persists, you might want to call Comcast security and ask them to look at the account-----------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you for the quick response Latoque (like your avatar too!). Then spoofing it is because there is nothing in my sent folder and I just changed my pw/sq last week. A/V scans detect nothing on my end. Still get 1-3 of these a day ... sigh.

Email Expert

Well keep in mind that if it is indeed spoofing, changing the password would have no effect on the situation.  Once the spammer has your email  address there is nothing that can prevent them sending people emails using your address.  For such a small number of messages I wouldn't get too upset about it.  Just wait it out.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Oldethom88 wrote:

Thank you for the quick response Latoque (like your avatar too!). Then spoofing it is because there is nothing in my sent folder and I just changed my pw/sq last week. A/V scans detect nothing on my end. Still get 1-3 of these a day ... sigh.

In the past day, your email account has authenticated with a password, and has sent mail with these names in the From field:

Justin Mckenzie 

Joshua Irwin

Jayden Wheeler

Ethan Cummings

Matias Berg

...and others

... from various IPs.

You should change your password again, and thoroughly AV scan your laptop/pc.   If you have any other devices (smartphone, etc) that you use for email, you might want to consider a wipe/reinstall, because mobile malware isn't completely unknown.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Oh?? Well I guess I finally have your attention on this. Okay CC_AA (aka DaveL), what A/V would you recommend? I currently use AVG free and Malwarebytes up front and ZoneAlarm free as my firewall. All are up-to-date and do not detect any virus or malware on my PC. I also use Moo0 to check my outbound connections. I do not use a smartphone or any other device for or from this email account, it is strictly an online gaming account. Also, I do not login to comcast.net to check, write or send email, as I stated I use the Thunderbird client.

The problem, at least it seems to me, is on Comcast end. My next step, if I do not receive a positive or constructive response, is to shut down that email account on comcast.net and open a new account elsewhere. No skin off your nose, right?

Official Employee

Oldethom88 wrote:

Oh?? Well I guess I finally have your attention on this. Okay CC_AA (aka DaveL), what A/V would you recommend? I currently use AVG free and Malwarebytes up front and ZoneAlarm free as my firewall. All are up-to-date and do not detect any virus or malware on my PC. I also use Moo0 to check my outbound connections. I do not use a smartphone or any other device for or from this email account, it is strictly an online gaming account. Also, I do not login to comcast.net to check, write or send email, as I stated I use the Thunderbird client.

The problem, at least it seems to me, is on Comcast end. My next step, if I do not receive a positive or constructive response, is to shut down that email account on comcast.net and open a new account elsewhere. No skin off your nose, right?

Oldethom88-  I've sent you a private message, please look it over and reply when it's convenient.

ComcastDaveL

Private Messages (PM's)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as `PM's'. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation