Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Deleting emails

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Deleting emails

What do I need to know in order to delete emails en masse?

Accepted Solution

Re: Deleting emails

OK here is something to try then, although I've never needed to use this myself;  from the Inbox page go to Preferences>>>>>Email>>>>>Email Deletion Schedule.  Set the deletion for the Inbox folders to a short time period like 30 days or something.  Anything older than that should get dumped.  I'm not sure if it will kick in immediately, or after 24 hours or something, or maybe you just have to sign out of the account and back in again.  Like I said, I don't keep more than a couple of hundred messages in my Inbox, so I've never had a need to try it.

After you do this, please post back your results in here.  I'm curious to see if it worked for you.  I'm sure others will be too, as this question comes up from time to time.

View answer in context
Email Expert

Assuming you are using the default Full version of Xfinity Connect----------One way is to check the little box at the top of the message list in the Inbox page.  That will select all messages displayed on the page.  Then you just hit the Delete button in the toolbar.  If you want to get  rid of a block of emails, click the little box at the left of the 1st message in the group, then hold down the Shift key and scroll down to the last one you want to get rid of and click on the box for it.  That will select everything in between, and again just use the Delete button.

How many messages are you trying to delete?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your tips. Checking the box at the top of a page does delete a full page. Nice.
I probably am using the default full version of Xfinity Connect...I'm not positive.
I tried your second tip, using the shift button to select a block of emails and it didn't work. The items in between the two chosen emails weren't selected. 
I want to delete about 13,000 emails. :0

Email Expert

OK here is something to try then, although I've never needed to use this myself;  from the Inbox page go to Preferences>>>>>Email>>>>>Email Deletion Schedule.  Set the deletion for the Inbox folders to a short time period like 30 days or something.  Anything older than that should get dumped.  I'm not sure if it will kick in immediately, or after 24 hours or something, or maybe you just have to sign out of the account and back in again.  Like I said, I don't keep more than a couple of hundred messages in my Inbox, so I've never had a need to try it.

After you do this, please post back your results in here.  I'm curious to see if it worked for you.  I'm sure others will be too, as this question comes up from time to time.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. That's a great idea and I'm happy to know about those deletion preference options.
I've gone in and chosen my preferences. I logged out and back in and no emails have been deleted, but I will check again tomorrow.

Email Expert

One other thing comes to mind-------do you have the account enabled in a desktop email client like Outlook or Thunderbird with POP3?  If so, check to make sure the option to leave a copy on the server is unchecked.  The reason I say that is that if you have the account enabled in a client, or on a mobile device, those settings will override the Comcast preferences.

Please post back tomorrow after you've checked again.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

The preferences are now enabled! It worked!
Thank you so very much for your help with this.
Wishing you happy holidays!

Email Expert

You're welcome!  Just to confirm-------after 24 hours all the old messages were gone?  Did you set the deletion for 30 days or something else?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

It was less than 24 hours when I saw that they were gone. Perhaps 6 hours.
I have it set for 120 days.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation