Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Deleting a large backlog of e mails

Regular Visitor

Deleting a large backlog of e mails

Is there an easy way do delete a large backlog (40,000+) of e mails?

Thank you.
Tags (1)
Email Expert

Re: Deleting a large backlog of e mails

Did you try what was suggested by me earlier today in response to the same question?-----------

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Auto-delete-of-e-mail/m-p/2505567#M2870...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I set the auto delete time to 120 days (it had been on "never delete)". I then exited e mail and powered off the computer. I powered back up and went back into e mail and still have >40,000. Any other ideas?

Thank you immensely for your help (by the way, my last first name is not HillarySmiley Happy ).
Email Expert

Comcast webmail doesn't have any ability to empty the Inbox or Sent folders all at once.  You can check the little box at the top left side of the message list to select all messages, and delete them, but it only goes so far back and then the next group of visible emails comes into view, and you have to keep repeating. (I think it will select 100 at a time, not sure)

Another way is to select the first message, then while holding down the shift key, scroll down to a point you want to try and select another message.  It should select everything in between the first one you checked and the last one.  Again you can then delete them.

You could do a search for certain criteria in emails like a name, or anything else that you know reaccurs frequently, and then select them all and delete them.

Ideal option----set the account up in an email client like Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail or some other.  They have much better control over things like deleting old emails.  I use Apple Mail and I can delete the entire contents of any folder I want.  Because my accounts are set up using IMAP, it's easy.  But with 40k + emails to deal with I have no idea how long it might take to work.

But even in Comcast, you have the option to empty out a folder that you created.  Just right-click on it and you will see the option in the list.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation