Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Deleting Email from the Xfinity Connect App

Regular Contributor

Deleting Email from the Xfinity Connect App

If I delete an email from the Xfinity Connect app, is the email deleted on Comcast's email server?

Email Expert

Re: Deleting Email from the Xfinity Connect App

Assuming that you are using IMAP, then yes.  Anything you do to an email on one device is reflected everywhere else.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I don't know if the Xfinity Connect app uses IMAP or POP3. You aren't asked to specify a server when setting up the app; it only asks for your username and password.

Email Expert

The reason you were not prompted for that information is that most apps and devices now will auto-detect Comcast as being IMAP compliant by default, and then auto-configure it for you after you input your credentials.  You can still use POP3 if you want, but it's not recommended by Comcast.  I read an online statistic this morning saying that 72% of all U.S. households now have at least one smartphone.  So it's not hard to see why IMAP is the default.  In fact Comcast was one of the last or the major email providers to do so.  I think it's only been a year since they made the change?

Just sayin

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks again for your help.

POP3 could be a better choice in this case, because our Comcast email account is shared by my wife and me. If the default is IMAP, and one of us deletes an email from the app, the other won't see it.

I do not see an option in the app settings to switch to POP3. If you can show me, that would be great. Otherwise, we need to be careful not to delete email from the app.

Email Expert

It depends on what mail client, app or device you are using.  First though, let me correct myself on one thing---------I don't see any way to change to POP with the Xfinity Connect app on my iPhone.  I use that app only for testing here in the forums anyway.  But there is a way I can do it using the native Mail app that comes in iOS.  You have to "trick" it by using a bad email address or deliberately mistyping the password.  It will try to verify the account for a few seconds, and then when it can't, it comes back with a box prompting you to manually configure the account, and that's where you can select POP.  If you are using an android phone I'm not familiar with those.  I'm sure you can look it up online easily enough.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I understand. We'll just be careful to not delete messages from the Connect app.

My wife and I also have our own email accounts (with other services.) Comcast is our mutual account for matters that concern us both, like messages from our son's school.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation