Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Delete E-Mails

Frequent Visitor

Delete E-Mails

I have an email system set up as POP3, whatever that means. I simply continues to save all emails, even after they come over to Outlook on my system. I'm told that IMAP deletes the emails after they come over to Outlook. If I stay on POP, how do I delete kthe oldest 15000 emails that have been saved?

Email Expert

Re: Delete E-Mails

Outlook is a desktop email client.  If you have the Comcast account set up in it using POP3, the default behavior is that when Outlook checks for your email, it will download it and then delete it from the server.  From what you are describing, you have enabled the option to save a copy on the server.  Is that right?

Whoever told you IMAP deletes messages was mistaken.  IMAP saves the original message on the server and then copies it to any device/computer you have the account enabled on.  That way everything is synced, and anything you do to an email on one device is reflected on the others.  

In your case, if you want to delete large blocks of emails, you could try running a search by date, or some other criteria, then once you have them in front of you, move them into a folder you create, and then empty the folder.  To do that you would right-click on that folder and you would see the option to empty it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Latoque,

I am not aware of the option to save or not to save on the Infinity server. I checked "tools/options" a could not find anything that looks like an option for me to stop saving on the server. Assuming that you can point me to that option, does it stop saving portions of the older messages, or does it not save any new messsages which I upload to my Outlook?

On the matter of deletions of some files, I will try sorting by date into another file, and then deleting those wholesale.

Thanks.

Email Expert

I'm not sure which version of Outlook this is for, but it should be similar for most of them-----------------

http://www.serverintellect.com/support/email/outlook-leave-on-server/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I'm using Office Professional 2010 of Outlook, and cannot locate a menu designated "tools" once I open the "File" menu. Office 2010 eliminated the Classic view, and now has a Ribbon view which does not contain a "tools" dropdown. How do I get to Step 6, Internet E-mail Settings, as set forth in the hyperlink you provided?

Email Expert

OK I am just researching this on the web for you, as I have never had Outlook myself---I'm on a Mac.  But I found something that is more Outlook 2010 specific.  See if this is better--------------

http://computersupportservicesnj.com/how-to-manage-email-storage-on-the-server-in-microsoft-outlook-...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for te reference to the site you found. I'll try that, but still need to do the sortation regime you outlined earlier to highlight large blocks of older messages which can be deleted enmasse rather than individually. Thanks again.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation