Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Default to parental controls on

New Poster

Default to parental controls on

Is there a way to default to having new devices join the network with parental controls turned on?  Maybe have them join a default profile?  The way I can see to add new devices is I have to first let the device join the network, then go assign it to a profile.  It seems like it would be much more useful if there was a default profile that things joined to, and I could set that profile to have parental controls, bedtime, etc.

I have turned on "Protected Browsing" but that doesn't seem to be the same thing as Parental Controls based on the name and description in the help link.

Official Employee

Re: Default to parental controls on

Hi beldur, are you wanting to set specific boundaries for your new users? You can always monitor select the new device on your app or online and manually turn the parental controls on. 

New Poster

That's exactly what I don't want to have to do.  I suggest that comcast needs to improve the service to have default parental controls set on new devices.  A rule of thumb for user interfaces is that if you make users remember to do an extra step for something, they'll probably forget, which is what I'm likely to do.

Where's a good place to enter bug/feature requests?

Expert

beldur wrote:

That's exactly what I don't want to have to do.  I suggest that comcast needs to improve the service to have default parental controls set on new devices.  A rule of thumb for user interfaces is that if you make users remember to do an extra step for something, they'll probably forget, which is what I'm likely to do.

Where's a good place to enter bug/feature requests?

Hmm.  What about households that don't have young minors?