Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast loads all messages from server

Frequent Visitor

Comcast loads all messages from server

when I reset my iphone and add Comcast e mail back in, why does the entire contents of my e mail on the Comcast server load on to my iphone?

Tags (2)
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast loads all messages from server

Rickardc wrote:

when I reset my iphone and add Comcast e mail back in, why does the entire contents of my e mail on the Comcast server load on to my iphone?

Because it's the iphone (POP3 email client) that keeps track of which messages have been downloaded (nothing to do with read or unread). When you delete the records for an account you delete the record of which messages have been previously downloaded. When you set up a "new" account, all the messages on the server look "new", so the client downloads all of them.

POP3 clients only see what's in the webmail Inbox. If you moved the Inbox messages to another webmail folder you could hang on to them, but not have to download all of them when you reset the iphone.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  More problems though.  I just switched from POP to IMAP on my Mac, running OSX 10.10.2, and using MAC mail 8.2.  All server e mails immediately come to my inbox, I put them in the trash, delete, and they come again into my inbo.  How can i stop this?

Bronze Problem Solver

Rickardc wrote:

Thank you.  More problems though.  I just switched from POP to IMAP on my Mac, running OSX 10.10.2, and using MAC mail 8.2.  All server e mails immediately come to my inbox, I put them in the trash, delete, and they come again into my inbo.  How can i stop this?

I'm not familiar with MACs at all, but I'm gonna guess that "moving to trash" is no different than moving to any other folder. Deleting messages from a folder where messages have been saved isn't the same as deleting them from the server. You want to delete them from the Inbox if you want to delete them from the server. Or maybe there's a "delete from server" option when you delete messages from the Trash. Or maybe I'm not making a bit of sense, but that's all I've got. ;-)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation