Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast email logging me out every 15 minutes

Frequent Visitor

Comcast email logging me out every 15 minutes

This is happening both on my home system and at a remote work location with my husband's comcast account. Every 15 minutes it says I am being logged out due to inactivity, and please log in again. I typically leave my email open all day without issue, and as of yesterday this was never a problem. I do not want to be logged out every 15 minutes, I want it to stay open most of the day. Also, this isn't much of a safety feature because to log back in you have to just click on the link provided again. It's much simpler than the three step process for the initial log in, which is a pain in itself, but this serves no point.

Is this a new change with comcast email, and if so is there some way to set it to not time out so fast per user?

If not, I'm going to stop using comcast email. Between the ads, the slow load time, and the multiple page process to get logged in, gmail is just easier.

Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast email logging me out every 15 minutes

I am having the same problem - please get this fixed!

Valued Contributor

I'm having the same problem too. I've been sitting here reading and replying to emails and it keeps telling me it will sign me out in 5 minutes. I have to keep signing in. What's the deal Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

Starting this morning (12/3/14), my email has also been timing out within five minutes.  Very frustrating.  I hope this can be resolved shortly.

New Poster

Starting today, it's doing it to me, too, as I'm reading emails.  So, I'm not inactive.

Frequent Visitor

Having same problem---timing out every 10-15 minutes.  What's going on???

Frequent Visitor

This is very annoying and when clicking on link to restore session, it sits and spins forever.  Is this site safe or were you hacked?

New Poster

Happening to me also. Very frustrating. Does anyone know what Comcast is doing about this issue?

New Poster

Same here. Problem started this morning. I hope Comcast is working on this one.

Frequent Visitor

I am getting tired of having to log back in every 15 minutes!!!  If this is a new feature, you should have warned your users.  If not, I sincerely hope you get this fixed ASAP.  It wastes time, and my time is money!

I'm somewhat suspicious that this is an effort on Comcast's part to bludgeon its users into paying for some new premium service.  If that's the case, they may just lose both a home and business customer in the process!

Frequent Visitor

This is getting ridiculous.  So ready to quit Comcast!

Frequent Visitor

They are going to lose more than just one or two customers.  Personally with the way prices are increasing they will be lucky if they don't lose half their customers.  This is ridiculous.

Contributor

My office is also having this issue, about every 15 minutes we have to log back in.

Very annoying if you're in the middle of writing an email and then you get booted and there is no draft copy saved.

And while I'm at it, I can be nowhere near my email and ads from the page start playing on their own.  I have no idea why this is but it is very annoying. Today's ad is for Thursday Night Football, and it will just start playing even if I am not on the email page at all.

Regular Visitor

Auto sign out from email

Why am I being signed out of email every 15 mintues? Never had this happen before today.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem

Contributor

This is not a new issue, but a returning one. Several months ago, Comcast email would log me out for inactivity only every few hours. Then, it suddenly stopped and I was able to remain logged in for the entire day. The frequency of the inactivity logout is what is so annoying. And the author of this post is correct: What is the point if all that is needed to return is a click on a link? Very foolish programming. Come on, Comcast...let's get it right! Leave the decision to logout up to the user.

New Poster

Comcast or Xfinity or whatever your name is today,

As with all the others, I'm having the same problem.  Are you getting ad revenue from more logons or what gives?  Put this back the way it was yesterday or you will have a lot of irate customers who I hope will innundate you with complaints!

New Poster

Same thing happening here, and it is beyond frustrating.  Hopefully, this will not continue into tomorrow.

New Poster

Same started with me today in Houston. Comcast continues to come up with reasons to convince me to switch to AT&T. I am in the process now of transitioning my email to Yahoo, so I won't be tied to a cable company for email. Then I'll switch.

Regular Visitor

Hi:

I spent a fair bit of time (hours) on the phone with Comcast trying to resolve this issue.  Without boring you with all the things we tried that did not work let me tell you what appear to have worked.  Click on Preferences and then Calendar.  In my email account we found a Default Reminder that was set for every 15 minutes. I did not put it there and I have no idea how it got there.  We cleared that and the problem seems to be fixed.

I hope this helps.  For the record I am a comlete computer illiterate so if there are obvious reasons why this could not be the solution, I find that completely plausible.

Peter

New Poster

Same thing is happening to me.  Just started today.

New Poster

PeterJJ,

I had the same Default Reminder even though I don't use the Comcast calendar.  I removed it and will see in 15 minutes if it worked.

If it does, thanks!!!

Frequent Visitor

I'm on chat now too, after hoping it would just go away, and that person has no idea there is an issue and is checking on it. Been gone for a few minutes now. I've changed that setting, had it too, never set it up myself, and will see if that works. Hope so and thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Gave kudos on the off chance that this works... thanks for posting!

Frequent Visitor

Turned off the default reminder (which I never set) and so far, so good.  Hope this is the fix!  Thank you for the help!

New Poster

Same here.  It's been 18 minutes and email is still up!

New Poster

Now the question is how did that reminder setting get there?

Frequent Visitor

Peter JJ you are THE MAN..........thanks so much.  

New Poster

I have no doubt that the default reminder setting has been there all along (it's a default), and likely has nothing to do with the problem. I think it is just coincidence that the problem has been resolved at around the same time as this potential fix was identified. I also have the default reminder, and did not remove it, and the time-out problem seems to have ceased anyway. So I don't think they are connected.

But then again, perhaps we are not being timed-out because we are now not experiencing 15 minutes of inactivity, due to receiving an email everytime someone posts to this thread!

Frequent Visitor

Thank you PeterJJ!  I would not have the patience to spend time on the phone with Comcast support.  I deleted the Calendar reminder and my email is now staying logged in.  It is very likely that this was a setting that up until this morning had no active code behind it - the unintended consequence of inadequate testing.

Frequent Visitor

email being logged out every few minutes

This just began today -- after a very short time, my comcast email logs out.  I have been irritated with email logging out every few hours, but every few minutes is MAKING ME CRAZY.  Why is this happening?

New Poster

Re: email being logged out every few minutes

Same here; I work from home and this is driving me insane. What is happening with this constant log-out and when will it be resolved?

Regular Visitor

There are weird new icons today and blue and green arrows indicating whether you replied to an email, plus a new icon for attachments.  This is an update then, correct?  a bad one.

New Poster

Me, too - this is unacceptable service. Any corrections available?

Contributor

Still getting ads playing randomly for no reason about Christina Agularia or whatever her name is, but my employees here in my office have not experienced the logging out issue in the last couple of hours.

Nobody here set or deleted the reminder thing so I do not really think that that had anything to do with the issue.

Hopefully this won't happen again.

New Poster

I've looked through all of my settings to see if something has been "updated" [I only use the quites because interface changes oftem happen without notification. Facebook is the prime example]. I can't find anyplace where I can edit my session settings to maximize time - which would be a nice feature.

I'm developing a twitch...

Frequent Visitor

I also looked in vain for "settings."  And for a way to talk to someone at Comcast (even though the voice-mail tree is horrible -- which ought to tell you how much I hate the log-outs).

New Poster

Hah! That's how I came to this forum - because Comcast has done everything possible to avoid actual one-on-one interaction with customers.

New Poster

I just called 1-800-xfinity and reported problem. Went through authentification twice with customer service reps. I am told they opened a ticket to research the problem.

New Poster

Thank you PeterJJ! 

I have an online business and have been going crazy getting logged out every 15 minutes all day. Sales have been busy with this time of year and I was seriously considering calling Comcast to see if they could help me, but didn't have the time. 

I followed the steps and haven't been logged out in more than an hour. 

My guess is that there was some sort of update last night and this was an unexpected glitch, since this all started this morning. 

Thanks so much for posting this and helping everyone else to resolve their issue without having to call Customer service. 

New Poster

Automatic Sign Off for "Inactivity"

I don't know what the deal is with kicking me out of email every few minutes for "inactivity", but after being kicked out in the middle of ACTIVITY (i.e. deleting emails, actually typing emails, you know-every day email ACTIVITY), several times today, I'm sick of it. One more notch in the cap of "another reason to dump Comcast." 

Suggestion: if there is truly no activity with a signed-on account (i.e. no clicking of buttons), sign someone out. If, in fact, they are clicking boxes, typing emails, ANY kind of activity in their email at all, quit throwing them out every couple of minutes!

Contributor

Cannot access my email and getting the 15 min inactivity pop up

Is anyone else having problems accessing their email the past five mins or so I have and there is an annoying pop up that says 15 mins of inactivity logging you out.  Stupid and I leave my email open for hours at a time before logging in whenever I'm on other webpages.  Comcast please advise.

Regular Contributor

I;'ve  got a different, but probably related, problem. All afternoon I've been kicked off Comcast webmail. Now I can't even get INTO Comcast webmail. I can log into my account but when I try to get into email i just get a page with a spinning circle of dots. Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

I guess I spoke too soon as I did the steps Peter suggested but it is still logging me out every few minutes.  AND I cannot get back in, just spinning circle. 

I guess it's time to look somewhere else for internet service.

Valued Contributor

What bugs me is that when things happen we're never informed that they're aware of a problem and are working on it. They leave it to us to get angry and fend for ourselves in these forums. I realize things happen...I can live with that. Just keep us informed! Tell us you know there's an issue, a glitch, whatever, AND what, if anything, we need to do about it. I hate being left to wonder what's going on when something happens, and even worse (FAR worse) ) is the thought of having to CALL to find out what's going on. KEEP US INFORMED COMCAST! I think your customers would appreciate that. (if you care that is)

Frequent Visitor

I removed the notification, but the same thing keeps happening.

Regular Visitor

Same here...

I know they are trying to get us to the homepage to plug their garbage, but this is just stupid.

Maybe time to move over to G-mail and dump Comcast if they don't fix it fast.

Tj

Regular Contributor

I followed PeterJJ's suggestions but could not find the "calendar" tab he mentioned. But it seems moot, since the steps don't seem to work for very long. 

Regular Visitor

Steve:

You are correct that the fix (thru the Preferences and Calendar tabs) that I thought was working earlier today was not a permanent fix. 

Sorry,

Peter

New Poster

I am also having the same problem starting today.     It also was difficult to find a way to report the problem.  

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community