Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast email keeps freezing up. I use Safari and have a MAC.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast email keeps freezing up. I use Safari and have a MAC.

For the past several days I have noticed that whenever I access my Comcast email it freezes up.  I get the spinning wheel of death.  To rectify this problem I constantly have to access the Activity Monitor and force quit Safari Web Content.  This is especially true when I am typing an email.  Using this method, of course, causes me to have to restart my email from scratch.  Very annoying.  I use Safari and have a Mac.   Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue.   

Email Expert

Re: Comcast email keeps freezing up. I use Safari and have a MAC.

Clear your browsing history/cache in Safari and then re-start it in a fresh session.  I have a Mac and I do not have this issue with Safari.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

This is a Comcast problem.  I wish someone from Comcast would address this on here.  I had this problem last week.  It went away and is back this morning.  It is not just the email.  When I log onto Comcast more often then not I get the spinning wheel.  The Xfinity homepage does not completely load, and I can not scroll or click on any links including email.  I too have a Mac and I am using El Capitan.  It worked fine since last august when I got my Mac.  I have cleared the cache, and the history.  Still it is sporadic when I can get on.  Even then within a few minutes it freezes up again.  My work PC is fine.  I use Firefox there.  I do realize I could try that on my Mac, but it should work with Safari as it used to do.  I do not wan to download other browsers.

Some help here Comcast.

Regular Visitor

I'm having similar issues, primarily in comcast/xfinity.  I have used comcast.net email for a long long time, but last week all of the sudden I started getting the pinwheel spinning issue, I have to close safari, reopen, cross my fingers and hope I can finish reading or writting an email before pinwheel comes back.  I've cleaned history, emptied cache and even went so far as to take my mac pro into a certified apple service center to see if there was something wrong with my computer.  They ran every test imaginable and could find no issues, no malware....clean.  Get the computer back, go into comcast email....bam, pinwheel again.  This only started last week....if this is a comcast issue how does one address it?

Contributor

It is a Comcast issue.  Unfortunately they do not seem to monitor this forum.  There has been no response at all.  It would be nice for them to acknowledge this and post an update on the situation.  I thought about calling their customer service, but I hate to say it, but they are pretty much worthless for help on this.  They will suggest all of the standard things, which you and I have already done.  As far as downloadiing a different browser, that should not have to be done.  It worked in Safari before and it should work in Safari now.

New Poster

Same issue here. iMac, everything with Safari and MacOS current.  Cleared cache and it seemed better, for a day.  Only site that does this is myxfinity and xfinity mail.  As others have noted no response yet from Comcast.  So hope more start replying to get them to address.

New Poster

This is happening with every PC in my house. I don't have a Mac. The xfinity homepage  and email takes for ever to load. First their is a blank black toolbar then bigger black area and then finally turns blue.Hope you understand what I'm saying LOL.It's like three stages before the homepage loads. I've went to MSN  and other sites which loads fast. Its  a comcast issue .

Regular Visitor

I think it might be a Safari issue or, a combination Safari/Comcast issue.  I went to my Firefox browser to test and I could not replicate the pinball of death......

Email Expert
Moved:

New Poster

I too have a MAC and running Sierra for several months. This issue just surfaced a few weeks ago and it is really hit and miss but none the less extremely frustrating. I have NEVER had this problem in all the years of being with Comcast. I have cleaned out browsing history, etc as suggested on another post, which does not solve the ongoing issue, and I have never had to do that before. What's up Comcast? Something changed!!!

New Poster

I am having the same problem, which is only getting more frequent.  Yesterday, I spoke with a Comcast customer rep who acknowledged that there is a problem.  Thinks it has something to do with the Comcast server communicating with the email server, especially with iMAC's and Safari browsers.  He opened a service ticket for me and said hopefully my problem would be fixed within 72 hrs.  I am not holding my breath. 

C'mon Comcast, reach out to Apple & see if you can solve this.

Regular Visitor

I have an iMac with current Sierra OS which means Safari is current. I have an iPad and iPhone with current OS and Safari. I've used Xfinity/Comcast for many years. Emails/webpage/home page...everything freezes quickly and randomly but ONLY ON MY iMAC, not the other devices. I rebooted my Comcast Gateway, I cleared my history (on all devices), rebooted my iMac a number of times. I still get the freezes almost immediately when doing anything - typing, searching. By deduction it would appear to be a Comcast/Mac/OS problem and I see no solutions anywhere that work. THIS problem was preceded by Comcast randomly dumping most emails except for some from a couple of years ago. All randomly. I have the "Manual Delete" set but that doesn't seem to matter. And when I use Comcast directions to go back and "fix" the problem...the Menu they refer to does not exist on their current home page. And speaking to the techs just ends in a comment like "I don't know"...not very helpful. So this all says it's a Comcast problem. And, by the way, my emails all work fine on MacMail. Thank goodness that has become my backup for all emails which I can still control without the random dumps.

I'd love to hear from someone that really fixed their similar problems.

Regular Visitor

Same problem as everyone else.  It is defintely a Comcast issue since the only two sites where i have the spinning wheel issue is the xfinity home page and xfinity email.  all other sites work perfectly.   Called the help line and no help there - they want to check my connections.  COME ON COMCAST - FIX THIS ISSUE.   I can't stay connected for long enough to write an email or view anything from the xfinity home page.

Regular Visitor

Update...  Just loaded Chrome.  Same issue - the xfinity home page and xfinity email sites crash within seconds.  all other sites work fine.  Definitely a Comcast issue.

New Poster

Exactly the same problem.  I spent a long time with a very helpful tech from Norton which I had downloaded about the time the problem started, who pretty well cleared Norton.  Then had a long time with an Apple tech who was very patient but could not figure out the source or solve the problem.  I of course started with xfinity who simply asked if their mail worked with Google Chrome, which it does, who then said it was therefore Apple's problem not theirs.  Any one care to guess who has the monopoly here?  

New Poster

Comcast did give me a call back.  Reset my password.  Good thing I didn't hold my breath.  Still problems.  Tried to compose an email yesterday and it froze up on me 4 times & I had to sign in again each time just to complete it.  Comcast's suggestion seems to be use another browser.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem...frustrating!!!

Regular Visitor

Nope.  This is a Comcast problem.  I do clear my history and my cache and problem returns.  There is a definite glitch or conflict that is with Comcast as I don't this problem with other sites on Safari, or with using other emall  platforms or just visiting other websites.  Xfinity web page and xfinitiy-comcast email.  Very irksome.  

New Poster

Everyone has stated the problem. I will just add that I just called Comcast about this issue and got the same standard suggestion, to clear out history. So frustrating!!!

Lets get it together Comcast. You should be able to fix this after what you charge us each month.

New Poster

I'm having same issue with my Mac products with my Comcast email.
New Poster

Has Comcast proposed any solutions?

New Poster

Contacted Comcast they acknowledged problem told me that working solution don't hold your breath

Regular Visitor

So far no solutions to anyone in this discussion chain that we all haven't tried...and is obvious...and mentioned in the chain.

New Poster

I have talked to Comcast supposedly someone is getting back to me within 24 hours.  We shall see.  Said they are having a problem...

Email Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Having the same issue too - very frustrating. 

New Poster

No one ever got back to me.  I even talked to a "supervisor".  He said he would get back to me in an hour or 2 - never happened.  Keep getting the same answer from them.  There is a system problem and they are working on it!!!!!

Regular Visitor

I'm sure we'll all get some refunds when they get done with their problems.

Contributor

This just started happening to me in Safari a few weeks ago, and then it stopped for a few days.  Now this is back again with the situation being I can finally get the home page for Xfinity to open but after I type in my credentials for getting my email all I get is the spinning colorful wheel of death and no email.  I can get it to come up on my Ipad or my Iphone but not my Macbook Pro computer.  And I've cleaned out my cache and all that does is -- nothing!  Why won't this get fixed?  
New Poster

I keep having this issue with FireFox and IE -- the browser based mail has significant problems

New Poster

I am sitting at my desk waiting for Comcast to call back because my email froze up last night, wouldn't shut down and this morning it won't relaunch or do anything. I go to the Xfinity website and get the spinning wheel of death (love that expression) when I try to read my emails. So glad I found this forum! This Mac is one year old (El Capitan) and it has happened a lot, xfinity email getting slower and slower. My tv service is also sporadic, with weird new error messages that don't say anything much (status 225, anyone?). Comcast is getting worse. I don't even know how to describe this if I called the Apple help desk (love them, usually). Just glad I found this forum just now and it's not only happening to me.....

Frequent Visitor

MMC191:  Sorry to hear of your delimma.  Not to be a wet blanket, but don't expect a lot of help from Comcast.  This is my second time around with this same issue.  They wanted me to switch browsers saying that Safari was the problem.  Sorry not the case.  Nonetheless, I truly hope that you get your issue resolved and quickley.  If you do lets us know how everything turned out.

New Poster

I also am having a problem with my macbook pro and comcast email.  I get the color wheel of death and must force Safari to quit.   I have called Comcast many times over the past few weeks.  The response has been to install other internet access software.  I am contemplating writing to my governor since Comcast must deal with the state to operate.  For what they are charging for their service, I expect a fix, not loading my computer up with alternate software workarounds.  If everyone contacts their governor, together we may be able to force some action.

Regular Visitor

I'm very happy to report that my problem suddenly stopped. All is normal now for the last week or ten days, at least. Nothing changed on my end excep possibly a software update from Apple. May or may not have solved the problem as I'm not convinced that the timing was right on. I hope others can report the same and that this is permanent.

Regular Visitor

Lucky for you.  I continue to crash with regularity.  5 times in the last 15 minutes.

New Poster

Started freezing up again last night after a 2 week reprieve.  Talked to Comcast

several times.  Went up the chain...Kept saying they would call back... never did!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats