Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast email inbox -left hand side inbox and folders not in alphabetical order

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Comcast email inbox -left hand side inbox and folders not in alphabetical order

When I open my email program, along the left hand side is a listing of my Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash and subject “folders” that I have made to store emails by person sent, subject, vendor; etc.   The list of folders is in alphabetical order.

Verizon is my ISP and Comcast is my email supplier (username@comcast.net); my system is Windows 7 Pro, SP1

Now, when I add new folders, the new folders do not appear in the correct alphabetical order. They are “close”, i.e. a folder starting with “T” will appear somewhere in the “S” listing; starting with a “K” or ”k” will appear in the “J” listings. Changing the length of the folder name or the order of the letters in the folder name has no affect in the list placement; just the initial letter. I have about 115 “folders”.

I have been unable to find a way to make the new folders appear in the correct alphabetical order. Is there a limit to the number of folders or some other limit? Like total number of emails stored in the folders or ??

Suggestions, help or solutions would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast email inbox -left hand side inbox and folders not in alphabetical order

Latoque,

Thanks for the tips.  Maybe clearing the Firefox history is/was the key; first time I have tried it.  I will play with it some more.  I used Seamonkey for a long time before I switched to Firefox,  I will  look into Thunderbird to see if my folders and other settings will "import" into Thunderbird.

That about finishes this question.  Thanks again for your advice and tips.

You briefly answered a second post I made entitled “Email usage: XX % of 10 GB. How is the XX % calculated?”. I believe your request for additional information was included in my answers to the first question. Would it be possible to work on the second question?

View answer in context
Email Expert

Re: Comcast email inbox -left hand side inbox and folders not in alphabetical order

Can you start by answering the questions I put to you in the other thread you started yesterday?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Email-usage-XX-of-10-GB-How-is-the-XX-c...

Then we'll go from there, but you need to clarify the situation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Latoque,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for the confusion about my Internet/ email service. Here are details –I assume “ …..Comcast HSI customer” refers to “Comcast High Speed Internet customer”.

Comcast supplies my connection to the Internet by cable. I only subscribe to Comcast internet service and Comcast email service. No Xfinity TV, phone service, or other features ( I believe basic TV service is included with my internet service by I have not activated TV service nor installed the set top box I received). I am currently a Comcast customer and my email address is (username@comcast.net). If you have access to my Forum account, you can verify my user name.

I have Version as my cell phone service. I can access my “Comcast” email account on my cellphone and read, forward, compose, etc. emails.

About three months ago my cell phone stopped receiving new email messages. After several calls to Version technical support, I was informed “Version no longer supported the Comcast email software and that I need to install the new Version email software and link it to my Comcast email address”. Note: As far as I could tell, Version had not posted any information about the change or informed subscribers about the change. Anyway, I removed the cell phone link to Comcast email, installed the Version email software and linked it to my Comcast email address. My Version cell phone returned to normal email service, i.e. read, forward, compose, etc. emails.

Hope that clears up any confusion about my Comcast and Version service. Let me know if you need additional details,

PS- Thanks for your reply to my second post.

Email Expert

OK so your cell phone email access has been sorted out and is working as it should-----yes?  I am not familiar with any email software provided by Verizon.  That is normally the function of whatever mail app came on your particular model of phone.  

That said, are you looking at folders on the phone or on  a desktop computer or laptop?  Officially there is no way in Comcast email to change the default display order of folders in the left pane.   However-----------

From my experience, when you create new local folders, there are two ways I know of to change their display order. They should appear alphabetically automatically when you create them, but if they don't for some reason, after you have created them right click on each one, select "Rename" and re-enter the name. That should put them in the correct sequence.

Another is to use numerical order if you don't want them alphabetical. Put a number as the first character in each folder name and they will display in that sequence-- ie: 1--2--3--4-- and so on. The first character seems to be the determining factor.

It's a little trick I picked up playing around with my old Yahoo account, which responds the same way. I suspect other webmail programs use it too but I haven't tried it with any others.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Latoque,

Yes, my cell phone email is now working OK, so that problem is solved.

My comments/ questions are related to my desktop computer. Thanks for the tips on getting the folders to appear alphabetically. I tried the right click and rename. The newly re-named folder appeared in the same (wrong) place. Tried a couple of times with the same result. Just by chance, I logged out of my Comcast.net link ( I use Firefox), to do some other things. Firefox was still running, I did not shut down Firefox.   A little later I opened Comcast.net and went to my e-mail home page ---- the folders were now in proper alphabetical order!!. It appears it takes a “re-start” of Comcast.net and re-opening the email home page to get the correct alphabet order. Would it be possible for you to try on your machine and see if you get the same results?

Adding the leading numerical number is something I had considered but only as a last resort. Works, but not as clean an appearance.

Thank you again for the reply and tips, appreciate your time.

Email Expert

It could be that you only needed to clear your browsing history in Firefox.  I have never had the problem you described, so I don't think I can duplicate it.  This is yet another reason many of us in here recommend using an email client like Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.  You avoid so many of the quirks of the Comcast UI that way.  I use Mac Mail, and I can move folders around by just dragging and dropping them as I please.  Thunderbird has an available extension that lets you re-order folders.  Most webmail programs don't have any provision for doing that.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Latoque,

Thanks for the tips.  Maybe clearing the Firefox history is/was the key; first time I have tried it.  I will play with it some more.  I used Seamonkey for a long time before I switched to Firefox,  I will  look into Thunderbird to see if my folders and other settings will "import" into Thunderbird.

That about finishes this question.  Thanks again for your advice and tips.

You briefly answered a second post I made entitled “Email usage: XX % of 10 GB. How is the XX % calculated?”. I believe your request for additional information was included in my answers to the first question. Would it be possible to work on the second question?

New Poster

Thanks for the question and the answer. I was about to ask the exact same Q about alpha order, but found your answer. When I went back to my email to try the renaming fix, I saw that my email was in correct alpha order! I had created about 10 new folders that got stashed as subfolder in my inbox. I used the "move" option on them and they ended up a tad off (in alpha order). So I clicked on "Support" to exit my inbox, then went back to it and the offending folders were in alpha order.

I was able to move 8 of them to Mailbox folders by using the "move" option. But there are still 2 for which I get a "cannot move there" message when I try a move to Mailbox. Any ideas why I wouldn't be able to move them all, LaToque?

Email Expert

I'm not sure why.  You can only move folders you created, and you can only make them a sub-folder of another one after it's created.  I've done some testing, and the only way I can generate the message saying you can't add it is if I try to just put it under "Mailboxes".  The only way I can see to use "Mailboxes" is when you first create the folder.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Latoque, thank you for volunteering; appreciated the help.

Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have received the same message.  In my case, after doing some searching, I found the the folder all ready existed, as a subfolder. How it got placed as subfolder I am not sure.  I was also creating several new folders, intendending to add to the "mailboxes".  For Comcast email, when you select the "create new folder" a menu pops up with a box to type in the new folder name. There is also a display of all the current folders with a (rather small text) message "select where you want to place the new folder".  Probably  I did not  for got to select "mailbox". It seems that if you do not select a folder to place the new folder, the default is the last folder you were using. I have not verified. 

I went to the screen showing all the folders and on each folder that had the right pointing triangle symbol indicating subfolders, clicked to show the subfolders.  I found the offending, duplicate, folder as a subfolder.  I deleted the folder and was now able able to move the folder.

Giit a try.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation